Running and shins

Options
When I do my walking/running intervals, the only thing that is preventing me from pushing and doing better is my shins. I get an extreme pain in my shins and i find this weird. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to stretch out the shins? Is there even a muscle there? Is it a more serious problem I should have the doctor look at?
I'm getting a little worried cause I can't imagine what it could be

Replies

• agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Its called shin splints and its perfectly normal, we had a long discussion on it a while ago. Give me a few minutes to find it and I'll post a link to the convo.
  • SlimSasha
    SlimSasha Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    the same thing happens to me...and yeah they are called shin splints. For me it seems like i will get them bad and then if i take a few days off it seems to get much better...i do stretch everytime and i still get them..not always but enough to bother me. I find that if i run on the pavment track outside i am way more likely to get them then if i run on the squishy indoor track inside or on the tredmil..so i think the surface you are running on has alot to do with it..just my guess i hope this helped a little
  • agarlits
    Options
    I cant find the link. But if you take about 5 minutes after you workout and walk/jog backwards it will build up the muscles in the front of your shins and the pain will go away.
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Interesting.. I'll try that
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    every other time I've tried running I've been plagued by shin splints as well. Always made me stop trying. I've read up on them some and the two main causes seem to be #1 doing too much too fast and #2 shoes. This time I invested in a good pair of running shoes which supports my pronation(foot turns in when running) and I've taken it slow adding just a little to my runs each day. Seems to have solved my problem. There is a lot of information out there about them, try runners world as well as this site.
  • mossmommy
    Options
    try to avoid running on the pavement and get some good shoes with shock absorption, that's what helped mine
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    every other time I've tried running I've been plagued by shin splints as well. Always made me stop trying. I've read up on them some and the two main causes seem to be #1 doing too much too fast and #2 shoes. This time I invested in a good pair of running shoes which supports my pronation(foot turns in when running) and I've taken it slow adding just a little to my runs each day. Seems to have solved my problem. There is a lot of information out there about them, try runners world as well as this site.

She's got it, you need a good pair of shoes. A good pair of running shoes is expensive, but a great investment. I'm not sure where you live, but in my city there is a running shoe store with treadmills in the store that video tape your feet while you're running. You can then look at it in slow-mo and see how your feet are coming down when you run...you find out whether you pronate (foot turning in) or the opposite (foot turning toward the outside, not sure of the word!) and then you can buy the shoe with the right support.

Good luck, don't give up on running!
  • agarlits
    Options

She's got it, you need a good pair of shoes. A good pair of running shoes is expensive, but a great investment. I'm not sure where you live, but in my city there is a running shoe store with treadmills in the store that video tape your feet while you're running. You can then look at it in slow-mo and see how your feet are coming down when you run...you find out whether you pronate (foot turning in) or the opposite (foot turning toward the outside, not sure of the word!) and then you can buy the shoe with the right support.

Good luck, don't give up on running!

You can just look at the bottom of an old pair of shoes and see how their worn. If its worn down the middle you are neutral, if its worn on the outside you supronate and if its worn on the inside you overpronate. From there you can see sales assosiate at a footlocker or any shoe store and they will help you pick a pair of shoes that will tailor to your needs. A good pair of shoes will take alot of the stress off your ankles, knees... ect. But wont prevent the actual shin splints, though it will prevent alot of other problems that come with wearing the wrong shoes. Also make sure you warm up with a long walk or a light jog before you stretch, and always stetch out after you run.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Or give barefoot running a try :bigsmile: Got rid of all my leg pain from running.

I hope you find your answer soon and get rid of the pain! :flowerforyou: