For those, like me, that can't do pushups...

Options
I don't know about any of you - but I SERIOUSLY struggle with pushups. Like, SERIOUSLY. When I first started the 30DS - I could do 1 or two before I felt like passing out. I am not exaggerating. So, I decided to do the 100 Push Up Challenge. I tried doing normal (military style) pushups. Not happening. I tried doing the girl pushups. Eh, a little better. But I still suck. No matter what style pushup I was doing, I was always worried about my form. Where should my hands be? Is my butt sticking up too high? When should I be breathing? I know that this is one of THE BEST strength exercises you can do... but I can't do them!!! I have been following the 100 PUC - and I am getting better. I am still not where I want to be, and I am still unsure that I am even doing them right. I found this article this morning, and I found it really helpful. Just thought I would share. :drinker:

http://www.ahwatukee.com/community_focus/article_04b363e4-72c3-11e1-8c2a-0019bb2963f4.html

In the land of dreaded exercises, only the pull-up garners more eye rolls and mumbled curse words than the push-up.

They are dang hard. Rocky Balboa can crank them out one-handed, but the rest of us fall on our face, and then lie there squealing as we beg our noncompliant muscles to get us back up. Embarrassing flashbacks to seventh-grade physical education class flood our minds and we want to flee.

Trainers, drill sergeants, and coaches love the push-up, and for good reason. Add them to pull-ups and you have an upper-body workout.

Push-ups have extra bonuses like isometric core and lower body work, no special equipment required, they can be done anywhere, and there are loads of modifications to make them more difficult (exciting, huh?).

No wonder they’ve been around since forever and don’t look to be going away. If you’re gonna get fit, you’ll sooner, rather than later, face the almighty push-up.

So how do you go from flopping around on the floor to looking svelte and whipping out 15 Marine-worthy push-ups?

Believe it or not, it’s no big deal, but ya gotta give it time, remain dedicated, and most of all, be patient.

Step one: Imagine your body as a board — everything in a line. Stand with your back to a wall — push your head, shoulders, rear and feet against the wall. That’s good posture and your body is nice and straight.

Step two: While standing, note the angle between you and the floor is 90 degrees. This position is the easiest starting point for a push-up. As that angle decreases (you get closer to the floor), they get harder.

We’ll use different angles to progress you from easy to hard — a wall, the edge of the kitchen counter, a coffee table, the hearth, and eventually the floor. Just make sure whatever surface you choose is stable.

Step three: Once you have an idea where to start, you need to get into position. Start “down” (against the wall or on the floor, etc.) Where are your hands? We want them even with your chest — not your neck and not your head.

“Push up” until your arms are straight. Stop, and check your body. Remember that good posture we practiced — body like a board? You might feel your trunk muscles working to hold your body straight — one of those push-up bonuses we mentioned.

Also check that your hands line up under your shoulders. You might feel a little shaky, but we don’t want you unstable. If you feel like you can’t safely support your body weight, then increase the angle between you and the floor. And don’t worry, it gets easier.

Step four: Try to execute 10 to 15 really good push-ups. Take a short, one-minute break, and then go another round (a set).

Two sets for beginners are plenty, but work your way up to three. Do them two to three times per week, on non-consecutive days. When you can do 20, find a lower surface (decrease the angle) and start all over.

Try not to make too big of a leap — don’t go from the wall to a step. Maybe the kitchen counter instead? Just keep increasing the difficulty a little at a time.

Push-ups are a great upper-body exercise for all ages, men and women alike. And they don’t cost you a dime. Give them a try! Before you know it, you’ll be hearing the theme to “Rocky.”

Replies

• NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    I started doing P90X a couple weeks ago, and workout #1 is all push ups and pull ups. It kills me. I was able to do about 6-8 push ups to start, so I wasn't as bad off as most girls, who can often not do any, or only one or two.

Here's my suggestion - get push up bars. They make a huge difference. It's so much easier on my wrists, it lifts the front half of you up a little, which makes it a little easier (when you get better at them, then you can just dip lower to compensate and get an even better workout), and they make me feel like I have better form.

One thing I love about P90X - it's not just "do as many push ups as you can, and then you're done". You do as many push ups as you can, then do a different exercise for 30-60 seconds, then do a slightly different variation on push ups, repeat.

On my very first day, when I "could only do 6-8 push ups" I did 78 push ups. I can't do 78 push ups. Not in a row, but I can if they're in sets. So I'd do 6-8 standard push ups, wait 60 seconds, do 6-8 military push ups, wait 60 seconds, do 6-8 wide push ups, repeat. It's amazing what a difference it makes to do multiple sets with pauses in between. You can do so much more and work your muscles so much more efficiently.

I think sets are the key to getting quick results. If you have to start on your knees to do "girly" push-ups, that's fine. No big deal. Do it. But if you get to the point where you're doing more than 6 girly push ups, try some from your toes. Work your way up.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The stronger your abs and upper back muscles the easier they become. I can do push-ups no problem, but pull-ups? Geez-forget it! I have to use a fitness band with my knee in it, and can only do 10. So, I just keep at it, and hopefully one day, I can surpise myself!
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Thank you, I have always struggled but really want to be able to do push ups. I will be giving this a try. :drinker:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I don't know about any of you - but I SERIOUSLY struggle with pushups. Like, SERIOUSLY. When I first started the 30DS - I could do 1 or two before I felt like passing out. I am not exaggerating. So, I decided to do the 100 Push Up Challenge. I tried doing normal (military style) pushups. Not happening. I tried doing the girl pushups. Eh, a little better. But I still suck. No matter what style pushup I was doing, I was always worried about my form. Where should my hands be? Is my butt sticking up too high? When should I be breathing? I know that this is one of THE BEST strength exercises you can do... but I can't do them!!! I have been following the 100 PUC - and I am getting better. I am still not where I want to be, and I am still unsure that I am even doing them right. I found this article this morning, and I found it really helpful. Just thought I would share. :drinker:

http://www.ahwatukee.com/community_focus/article_04b363e4-72c3-11e1-8c2a-0019bb2963f4.html

In the land of dreaded exercises, only the pull-up garners more eye rolls and mumbled curse words than the push-up.

They are dang hard. Rocky Balboa can crank them out one-handed, but the rest of us fall on our face, and then lie there squealing as we beg our noncompliant muscles to get us back up. Embarrassing flashbacks to seventh-grade physical education class flood our minds and we want to flee.

Trainers, drill sergeants, and coaches love the push-up, and for good reason. Add them to pull-ups and you have an upper-body workout.

Push-ups have extra bonuses like isometric core and lower body work, no special equipment required, they can be done anywhere, and there are loads of modifications to make them more difficult (exciting, huh?).

No wonder they’ve been around since forever and don’t look to be going away. If you’re gonna get fit, you’ll sooner, rather than later, face the almighty push-up.

So how do you go from flopping around on the floor to looking svelte and whipping out 15 Marine-worthy push-ups?

Believe it or not, it’s no big deal, but ya gotta give it time, remain dedicated, and most of all, be patient.

Step one: Imagine your body as a board — everything in a line. Stand with your back to a wall — push your head, shoulders, rear and feet against the wall. That’s good posture and your body is nice and straight.

Step two: While standing, note the angle between you and the floor is 90 degrees. This position is the easiest starting point for a push-up. As that angle decreases (you get closer to the floor), they get harder.

We’ll use different angles to progress you from easy to hard — a wall, the edge of the kitchen counter, a coffee table, the hearth, and eventually the floor. Just make sure whatever surface you choose is stable.

Step three: Once you have an idea where to start, you need to get into position. Start “down” (against the wall or on the floor, etc.) Where are your hands? We want them even with your chest — not your neck and not your head.

“Push up” until your arms are straight. Stop, and check your body. Remember that good posture we practiced — body like a board? You might feel your trunk muscles working to hold your body straight — one of those push-up bonuses we mentioned.

Also check that your hands line up under your shoulders. You might feel a little shaky, but we don’t want you unstable. If you feel like you can’t safely support your body weight, then increase the angle between you and the floor. And don’t worry, it gets easier.

Step four: Try to execute 10 to 15 really good push-ups. Take a short, one-minute break, and then go another round (a set).

Two sets for beginners are plenty, but work your way up to three. Do them two to three times per week, on non-consecutive days. When you can do 20, find a lower surface (decrease the angle) and start all over.

Try not to make too big of a leap — don’t go from the wall to a step. Maybe the kitchen counter instead? Just keep increasing the difficulty a little at a time.

Push-ups are a great upper-body exercise for all ages, men and women alike. And they don’t cost you a dime. Give them a try! Before you know it, you’ll be hearing the theme to “Rocky.”
    U beat me to it...i just saw this article this morning and ws going to post it

i have been practicing wall pushups and doing pushups at my kitchen counter for a couple weeks now
    i can feel it making a difference
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on the push up, it is a great exercise. Check out the link below that gives you a progression for push ups, start against a wall, then go to stairs, etc. There's no rush to get to "regular" push ups just take it one step at a time.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31798365/Convict-Conditioning-Charts
  • meredith55
    meredith55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing these pushups for some time now as I have bad knees. I'm just getting back into the swing of things and working out. Thanks for sharing this article as I was trying to share how I do these pushups with a friend on the phone who is trying to lose weight and starting to work out. I'm not sure if I explained it as well as this article. Will share this with her. Keep up the good work.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The best way for me to learn push ups was to do them on the stairs. I put my feet on the bottom stair and go up a couple stairs with my hands till I'm in push up position and do them that way. It's the closet I have gotten to doing them on the floor and I can feel it working.
  • SandyChampWins
    SandyChampWins Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What does *bump* mean?
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    this is AWESOME! i just did fitness testing at school...yup. that went well. and i'm doing the 30 day shred too! i've been doing girl push ups throughout, and i thought that because i had been working at it, my regular pushups would be better. yeah, not so much. :) thanks for sharing!
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What does *bump* mean?

whenever you comment on a post, it goes into under the section with your topics on your profile. when you don't have time to read something or want to remind yourself of it for later, just write bump. it will be saved, and then you can go back to it whenever you want.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Try them on a balance ball.
  • mdorman8313
    mdorman8313 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What a great article! I have never been able to do more than 1 push up in my life but then again I've always tried to do them on the ground. I'm going to give this a go and work my way down angle by angle =)

Thanks! =D
  • Tracyfishcarp
    Options
    bump
  • bnewperson
    bnewperson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you - this is a great step-by-step instruction on how to build up strength and form. I have always felt like a whimp and embarassed by my lack of ability. This really gives me hope - push-ups are thought to be great for people of any age and I am really working on my arm strength. Thanks, again, for posting this.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I needed that push :-) I hate pushups, but know I ought to do more of them...
    As for pull ups, well, is there a stronger word than hate?
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS struggled with push-ups! You've just saved my life, girl! Thanks a million! (Love your profile pic by the way. Too cute!)
  • fearie_jae
    fearie_jae Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump