Eating Chocolate and Loosing Weight

Options
This seems to be a big trend on Facebook today:

Eating Chocolate and Loosing Weight- worth looking at especially for chocolate lovers!

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/26/could-eating-chocolate-make-you-thinner/?hpt=hp_c2

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I heard this on the news last night. I think it was 1 oz of dark chocolate a day. Not a snickers bar.
    The sad thing is people hear what they want to hear when these stories come out and end up eating more then is recommended. They think its a green light to eat as much as they want.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for one of these articles to post a link to the actual study. I can't take these "news" places that post this stuff without at least providing that, because inevitably their generalizations are wrong. That said, eating chocolate and still losing weight is my story, haha!!
  • accpepper
    Options
    Yeah, I think the secret is Dark Chocolate... but still its something sweet!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    i just have a teaspoon of nutella after lunch and dinner about 10 to 15 cals in total.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I live by eat whatever you want and as long as you log it you should be fine. Everything is good in moderation but dark chocolate is delicious and has antioxidants and other great stuff fro your body. I also have a glass of wine a couple of times a week. And I am still losing.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want if you stay under your daily goal... do this ALL the time.

17245635.png
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day but I only have the mini sizes and make sure to still stay within my caloric goal for the day. I also have wine a couple of times a week and like Jamiesadler, I too continue to lose weight. It is all about burning more calories then you are consuming.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    healthy, fit people in "normal' sizes (whatever that may mean) do eat chocolate. Just not in mass quantities and not all the time. if you're logging it and being honest about it, it's fine. And yes, dark chocolate does have some good stuff in it! I've never been one who could get a bar and only eat the portion allowed and put the rest away so I only buy it in the portion that I can have right then and there. (so no buying in bulk and just having a piece for me). Just know your limits
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day but I only have the mini sizes and make sure to still stay within my caloric goal for the day. I also have wine a couple of times a week and like Jamiesadler, I too continue to lose weight. It is all about burning more calories then you are consuming.

I totally agree!
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do this and let me clarify....100 calories worth of dark chocolate per day of at least 70% cocoa. We've been doing this regularly since Jan 9/2012 in conjunction with counting our calories - all of them. We also eat back all exercise calories, he is much better at regular exercise whereas I have not in the past 8 weeks. Weight loss is 27 lbs for me and 18 lbs for him. Given we've lost nearly 50lbs together since Jan I am sticking to this program until I no longer see results.

BTW, we also do a number of other things so I am in no way suggesting this is simply the chocolate! We consume a number of specific items for health reasons such as red wine.....
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The original study is here, but you'll have to pay to get full text access: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/172/6/519

I think headlines like, "Chocolate 'may help keep people slim'" (BBC) are quite misleading. Though there may be a chemical in chocolate that *could* help weight loss (in rats at least), I would hazard a guess that the sugar and fat content in chocolate far outweigh the benefits! As they say, everything in moderation - I'm a chocolate lover, but I'm not taking this 'news' as a license to go and scoff my face full of chocolate in my bid to slim down!!
  • zuchy
    zuchy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i just have a teaspoon of nutella after lunch and dinner about 10 to 15 cals in total.

Actually a teaspoon of nutella is about 100 cals. :noway:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

No, a tablespoon of Nutella is 100 calories. A teaspoon is 1/3 of that.
  • zuchy
    zuchy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I must have gargantuesque teaspoons then because I own a teaspoon and I have nutella and when I weigh the amount (which I always do), it' 18-19 g of the magic stuff so 5.3 (cals x 1g) x 18 = 95.4
    How can a third of 100 be 10 to 15 ?? Twice??
  • mermx
    Options

Ahhh no that is 100gms. I have around 1.5gms at lunch and sometimes 1.5gms at dinner...so about 15 cals
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I have what I want in moderation and still lose weight. That's my study for you. :bigsmile:
  • mermx
    Options
    I must have gargantuesque teaspoons then because I own a teaspoon and I have nutella and when I weigh the amount (which I always do), it' 18-19 g of the magic stuff so 5.3 (cals x 1g) x 18 = 95.4
    How can a third of 100 be 10 to 15 ?? Twice??

ROFLMAO the great gargantuesque teaspoon and nutella debate!!! I only have a tiny bit on my teaspoon :-)
  • jennaeva
    jennaeva Posts: 3
    Options
    I live by eat whatever you want and as long as you log it you should be fine. Everything is good in moderation but dark chocolate is delicious and has antioxidants and other great stuff fro your body. I also have a glass of wine a couple of times a week. And I am still losing.

I don't do well with restriction so its good to hear someone say they eat what the want and just watch portions and are still losing - Still having trouble with the portions thing but I'll get it eventually :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    This is a study I can get behind... ;-)

But honestly, I did find that when I noshed on three squares of Dove dark chocolate a day... I didn't have the need to chow down on some major sweets... I should probably get back into that.
  • megancolette
    Options
    healthy, fit people in "normal' sizes (whatever that may mean) do eat chocolate. Just not in mass quantities and not all the time. if you're logging it and being honest about it, it's fine. And yes, dark chocolate does have some good stuff in it! I've never been one who could get a bar and only eat the portion allowed and put the rest away so I only buy it in the portion that I can have right then and there. (so no buying in bulk and just having a piece for me). Just know your limits

Completely agree about not being able to put the rest away :).

I love dark chocolate though, so if I am craving any chocolate or sweets I'll go get myself a bar of dark chocolate, and try to keep it around 200 cal or less and fit it into my daily cals. Really good for curbing cravings. It also does apparently have some health benefits, which is a bonus, but only if you stick to dark chocolate - the higher % of cacao, the better.

With anything really, as long as you are honest about what and how much you are eating, you will be fine. Everything in moderation. If you know you're going to want anything, dark chocolate or not, try to plan ahead for it. Restricting yourself entirely from things you enjoy is no way to maintain a healthy lifestyle.