Minimum amount of strength training?

Options
I am losing weight and not doing a ton of exercise, which means I am definitely losing some lean muscle as well. I am trying to figure out a good baseline of strenth training to mitigate muscle loss. It's not that I am against bulking up, I am just frankly too lazy to strength train, I don't really enjoy doing it, and I can't afford a gym membership. It's easier and more fun for me to throw on a pair of shoes and go for a run. But I realize I should probably start doing this...

So, if you had to do the bare minimum of strength training, what would you do?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, I saw results for me doing strength 3 times a week for an hour (this was coupled with cardio on the other days).
  • Teal57
    Teal57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep your weights light and your reps higher. I usually start out doing 3 x per week, but I bulk up really, really fast, so I drop to 2 x per week as soon as I see satisfactory results. I never spend more than 30 minutes per session but tend to do them intensely, kind of like circuits.

I also do it at home. I have a set of 5 lb, 8 lb, and 15 lb free weights. The latter I only use for things like squats and lunges and other leg exercises.