Any suggestions for using up a bag of peppers?

Options
rjsturge
rjsturge Posts: 2 Member
Hi
I have a bag of mixed colour peppers to use up, can anyone suggest a recipe? I was thinking perhaps something with rice but I need to be able to cut them up, if I serve them whole to my kids they won't eat them
Thanks

Replies

• PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Julienne and then use them in stir fry. You can always chop and then freeze them for later use. Or make a soup.
  • sturla
    sturla Posts: 1
    Options
    I cut mine and roast them in the oven. Just sprinkle salt and pepper and a little olive oil. You can add other vegetables too. :smokin:
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Peppers

6 green bell peppers
    1 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
    2 teaspoons salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or chuck
    1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain rice
    shredded mild Cheddar cheese, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup, optional

Preparation:Directions for stuffed peppers with ground beef and rice
    Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds and membranes. Chop edible part of tops and set aside. Rinse peppers under cold water. Place peppers in a large pot; cover with salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain peppers and set aside.Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Sauté chopped green pepper (from tops), chopped onion, and chopped celery for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, crushed garlic, oregano, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, combine egg with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Gently stir to blend; add ground beef, cooked rice, and 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Mix well. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a 3-quart baking dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes. If desired, top stuffed peppers with a little shredded Cheddar cheese just before peppers are done; bake until cheese is melted.
    Recipe for stuffed peppers serves 6.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef
    1 md bell pepper, chopped
    1 c finely diced onion
    1 can(s) 29 oz diced tomatoes
    1 can(s) 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 can(s) 14 oz chicken broth
    1/4 tsp thyme, dried
    1/4 tsp dried sage
    2 c cooked rice

Directions

1 In large pot brown ground beef, drain off fat and add onions and peppers, cook until the onions are translucent but not letting them brown 2 Add, tomatoes (undrained) tomato sauce, broth, Thyme and sage stir.

Cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes until peppers are tender. Add tw0 cups cooked rice stir to heat. I like grated Cheddar or Munster cheese on top of mine.

If you still have peppers left over....dice and put in ziploc freezer bags and keep in freezer. :)
  • RedFeffer
    RedFeffer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A big pepper salad!! Cut them all up into big chunky squares, toss in a little bit of greens of your choice, large-cubed cucumber, maybe a bit of feta if that's your thing, some Mrs. Dash or equivalent, and a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar... YUM!!!
  • RosalindaAveni
    Options
    I usually sautee with onions (peppers) in olive oil. When onions are carmalized and peppers seemed a little golden, it's time for part two. I beat eggs, salt, pepper, little garlic powder and drop the peppers/onions in, and add them back to the pan with the olive oil. When bottom seems cooked, try flipping the frittata/omlet over. When both sides are golden, ENJOY! Not hard to do.
    Trick: when the bottom is cooked, I put a flat dinner dish on top, and flip. Then I slide the uncooked part back in pan. Goes great with a side salad...cold or warm! You can even add a slice of swiss/provolone on top.
  • Stacyd73
    Stacyd73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I made a veggie sandwich with some.

Flat Out Foldit bread
    FF cream cheese
    dill
    sliced cucumbers
    red, yellow, orange peppers in strips

Mix cream cheese and dill. Spread on both sides of bread. Add cucumber slices and alternating strips of peppers. Fold bread over and enjoy.

DSCN0067.jpg?t=1332007405