Hypothyroidism

Options
Hello!

Is anyone struggling with weight loss due to hypothyroidism? Have you found anything that works for weight loss?

Replies

• jenmacdale
    Options
    I have the same thing and would like some help also.
  • Hab1978
    Hab1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had a hypothyroid for about 15 years now....it does make losing weight more of a struggle, but I have to tell you that the truly only thing that has worked is to do it "right." Count your calories, exercise, get your water in. That's it. I do take a synthroid each day to help compensate for my lacking thyroid and yes my metabolism is slower because of it, so therefore I feel like I have to really be sure and get plenty of exercise in, but there really hasn't been anything else that has worked. Anything else, supplement wise, is just a gimmick and will only cause your thyroid to be more out of whack. So my advice is to steer clear of anything like that unless prescribed by your doctor.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    There's no magic number for losing weight with hypothyroidism. But it is still possible to lose! We tend to lose slower than most. Exercise is not an excuse to eat more. I exercise so that I can lose weight, not so I can eat more. I find that starch foods are harder on me and I can't lose if I'm eating them. My carbs come solely from fruits and vegetables (save for the sugar in my coffee creamer), as much as possible. Lean protein is your best friend. Avoid soy. Soy is bad for anyone with a thyroid problem because it can interfere with proper hormone usage, only fermented sources are safe (as in soy sauce).

I have to be more careful about counting calories, better to over estimate calories in food than underestimate. Better to underestimate calorie burns than over estimate. I can only eat back 1/4 to 1/3 of my exercise calories ever. I drink LOADS of water. 3-4 liters a day on average.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • StephySands
    Options
    There's no magic number for losing weight with hypothyroidism. But it is still possible to lose! We tend to lose slower than most. Exercise is not an excuse to eat more. I exercise so that I can lose weight, not so I can eat more. I find that starch foods are harder on me and I can't lose if I'm eating them. My carbs come solely from fruits and vegetables (save for the sugar in my coffee creamer), as much as possible. Lean protein is your best friend. Avoid soy. Soy is bad for anyone with a thyroid problem because it can interfere with proper hormone usage, only fermented sources are safe (as in soy sauce).

I have to be more careful about counting calories, better to over estimate calories in food than underestimate. Better to underestimate calorie burns than over estimate. I can only eat back 1/4 to 1/3 of my exercise calories ever. I drink LOADS of water. 3-4 liters a day on average.

Really ?!?!?! SOY is bad? :noway: I had NO idea, I've been eating edamame thinking it was good for me :grumble:
  • mmehall
    mmehall Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the posts. I had heard to steer clear of Soy. I think sometimes it is in some protein bars I eat. I try to avoid it though.

What i find is that if I exercise, I maintain my weight - but the scale will not budge lower. Congrats to those of you who have lost 21 lbs with hypothyroidism.

I just started exercising again, and I gained 2 lbs in 1 week. NO, I did not eat more. I actually ate less.

There seems to be nothing that I can put my finger on for the best way to lose. I did see that one of you drinks 3-4 liters of water per day.. I will increase my water intake.

THANKS!
  • mmehall
    mmehall Posts: 4
    Options
    Also, what type of exercise are you doing? How long/ How many days?

What is your calorie intake per day?

I'm doing 50 minutes cardio - 4.0 mph on the treadmill - 4 days per week
    I'm doing arms and legs strength training on alternate days - 3 days per week

I'm working with 1400 calories, but I think that may be too high. i'm 5'7

I
  • ekiel2007
    Options
    I have the same thing and would like some help also.

Me too. It's all so frustrating.
  • MrsLeibas
    MrsLeibas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post ladies, it's really encouraging me to hear that I'm not the only one struggling with weight loss and hypothyroidism (and for me diabetes and chronic tachycardia); I feel like the pounds will never come off. Although I've lost 5 lbs since Christmas and I feel like that's progress even though it's slow. I will definitely need to increase my water intake it looks like ... and be deligent about counting me calories and getting my workouts in. Not sure what else to do!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Hypo as well... been diagnosed for 10 yrs or so. Watching my carbs is the only thing that works for me. And it just happens to be the hardest thing for me to do. I exercise 5 days per week (cardio and strength). I generally hit 1200 net cals per day. Many people swear that upping your cals will break a stall. I am not sure if that is true for us hypo's though. The only thing that really helps me is to cut the bad/simply carbs.

Good luck all.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Also, what type of exercise are you doing? How long/ How many days?

What is your calorie intake per day?

I'm doing 50 minutes cardio - 4.0 mph on the treadmill - 4 days per week
    I'm doing arms and legs strength training on alternate days - 3 days per week

I'm working with 1400 calories, but I think that may be too high. i'm 5'7

I workout every day. Some combination of yoga, Wii zumba, bellydance, and Jillian Micheals in the mornings; then 1+ hours at the gym 3 days a week doing C25k workouts on the treadmill, 30 minutes of lifting, then maybe more cardio; 1 night a week I have an hour long bellydance class (most weeks, not all); and 1 night a week I have a 1 hour yoga class. The only days I take off are the ones where I end up sleeping most of the day! LOL.

My calorie intake is set at 1302 calories a day, net. I usually net less than that. I have found if I eat more than 1500 in a day, I'll gain no matter how good the food is for me. I have to have less if I exercise less. On an average gym day I'll burn somewhere around 750 calories. I can eat up to a 3rd of that back and still keep losing.

As for soy, there are enzymes in soy that tends to digest the thyroid hormones. The reasons fermented soy is okay is because the enzyme gets deactivated in the fermentation process. A second problem with soy is the phyto-estrogens in it, and for people sensitive to it, not a good thing! That's why they recommend soy for women going through menopause. But soy for women with thyroid issues is bad, no matter the phase in life!
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Is anyone struggling with weight loss due to hypothyroidism? Have you found anything that works for weight loss?

seems like there are a few of us struggling with this! Is there a group? I have had hypothyroid for over 20 years, I take an average of 240mg of synthroid per day. I wonder if it's Hashimoto's, because of the amount of medication. I have gained weight every year except for times when I have limited carbohydrate intake.

My weight is at the highest level that it has ever been, and I am now eating clean, trying some Carb cycling in order to restart my metabolism. I have heard that people with hypothyroid store more fat. My bodyfat scale says that I am at 46%. So some weight lifting would be good - I am trying to find the energy!

Good luck to all! Hopefully my plan works and I can loose some fat!
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should start a group... I was diagnosed about 15 years ago, and had not associated weight problems with it... but I just take my levothyroxine every morning, and carry on regardless!!
    I am beginning to wonder if water isn't a big helper.. I find if I haven't been having my 7 or 8 glasses a day, the next day the scales are up! I need to check out the thread someone posted earlier.
  • Anniegir
    Anniegir Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Another thing to be aware of is that obese women with a thyroid condition have a really high incidence of insulin resistance. My physician put me on meteor in, and it helps!!! Also following a diabetic friendly diet helps as well!

Steer clear of stimulant supplements! People with thyroid problems, can not clear the stimulant well from their systems! I took Release and had a resting heart rate of 160 for 4+ hours!
  • schol74
    schol74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I struggled with weight gain until my endocrinologist adjusted my medication. Synthroid didn't work for me, the lab results were always fine but I still felt awful and gained weight. I changed to a different medication and feel much better. Just a thought.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and was diagnosed about 5 yrs. ago. I really have to watch what I eat and exercise.

About a month ago, I started with Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure and lost about 2 lbs., but then I stalled and started getting bored with the diet. I then decided to see a registered dietician and get on a plan. I want to lose 10-12 lbs. which isn't much, but on a 5' 2" frame, it really shows and my clothes were getting tighter.

I also found out I am gluten intolerant about a year ago and feel so much better when I avoid wheat. My dietician has me on a 1400 calorie plan using food exchanges. I feel like I have more energy on a balanced diet. I need to have carbs for energy since I play a lot of tennis and will resume strength training.

I am on Synthroid and Armour and have my levels checked every 6 months.

There is a group for hypothyroidism. Check it out!
  • nodellsj
    nodellsj Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i too struggle with this, i had thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed in 2005 and am compleatly reliant on my synthetics. i am finding that as everyone else our journey towards weight loss is a lot longer, even with doing everything right. sugars are worse for us as are things like garlic and onions being that hypothyroid makes it hard to break down sulphites. doing it right really is the only way, and being prepared for no quick fix's. it will take longer but it just means you gotta do it for you! i also am now gliuten intolerant and lactose intolerant since becoming hypothyroid.
    good luck! we can all do it!
  • nodellsj
    nodellsj Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    allso i second i thnk a group would be terrific!
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Another thing to be aware of is that obese women with a thyroid condition have a really high incidence of insulin resistance. My physician put me on meteor in, and it helps!!! Also following a diabetic friendly diet helps as well!

Steer clear of stimulant supplements! People with thyroid problems, can not clear the stimulant well from their systems! I took Release and had a resting heart rate of 160 for 4+ hours!

I am sure that I have some problems with insulin. Sometimes even a smalll meal seems to kick up my insulin levels and I literally cannot stay awake. When I wake I am usually hungry. I'm not sure if this is insulin resistance or just high levels of insulin. What is this medication/supplement you were put on ? meteorin? And of course YES to the diabetic friendly diet, trying to keep the blood sugar level to avoid spikes!
  • frexca
    frexca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im struggling with hypothroidism as well... feel free to add me to your list of supporters!