Strength Training????

Options
So as far as exercising goes, i rock at getting my cardio in. But thats all i really know to do. I heard/read somewhere that you can't really burn fat if you don't do resistance training. True or not, i have no clue. My question is...What should i be doin for resistance/strength training? And what are the best exercises to do to focus on the different areas of your body? What are some that you all do that are your favorites and that show results?
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Head to your local library and check out some books on fitness. There are tons available about using resitance bands, stability balls, and general stregnth training.
    You might start with "New Rules of Lifting for Women":)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a caloric deficit you will lose fat. No exercise required. Cardio either makes your deficit bigger or allows you to eat more and lose the same amount of weight. That being said, if you are in a deficit whether cardio involved or not, you will lose lean muscle along with fat. Strength training allows you to retain lean muscle as you lose fat.

I would second the NROL, or you can look at starting strength, or strong lifts 5x5, all 3 are good starter programs that include lifting heavy and compound movements.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do 30 Day Shred dvd by Jilliam Michael's for strength training when i can't make it to the gym. When I do strength training at the gym I usually take a power scult, boot camp or ballet fit class.

If you are looking for somethign that is fast (only 20 min long) and you can do at home i would look at 30 day shred. It kicks my butt and really works my muscles.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Oxygen Magazine usually has good workouts and will break them out by experience level.

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Training.aspx

www.bodybuilding.com has some good ones too. Don't be intimidated by the big muscles - you can' get like that without serious hard work and supplements. They have good videos on how to execute the moves.

I would start with basics, squats, bench press or push-ups, bench dips, back rows, shoulder presses.

The New Rules of Lifting for Women gets great reviews but I have not tried it yet.

Strength training is fantastic for weight loss - you will burn calories long after your workout is done and get a great shape too!
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    I do strength training 3 times week since cardio isn't cutting it anymore. I take a ball and band class which then I take notes and do that two more times during the week. Pilates is really good, kickboxing or even yoga.
  • J3NZ0R
    J3NZ0R Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a good thing to add to the roster. Not only will you see better results from all that work you're doing in cardio (ie. you will look more toned after weight loss instead of the dreaded 'skinny fat' because you'll have retained lean muscle) but you are also doing wonders for your skeletal system. Functional strength training can help improve your posture, but it can also mean you can handle all six bags of groceries up several flights of stairs.

Losing weight is great, but improving health and fitness is the sweeter victory in my mind.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You can burn fat without strength training. No problem. However, if you do only cardio you tend to also lose muscle mass, which slows your metabolism. To avoid that, a good strength training program is a must. Plus, it takes more calories to maintain muscle than fat, so you get a greater total calorie burn every day from a little strength training. As little as 30 minutes 3 times a week is enough to make a huge difference in your daily burn! And don't be afraid to lift heavy weights either. Unless you're one of those rare women with the genetics for high testosterone, you will never grow big and bulky! Just check out the pics of all the lifters around here! Totally awesome results!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Head to your local library and check out some books on fitness. There are tons available about using resitance bands, stability balls, and general stregnth training.
    You might start with "New Rules of Lifting for Women":)

This is an awesome program the book has very detailed descriptions of how to do the lifting as well. I am using this and love it!
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I got a total Trainer ( like a total gym) for my lifting. It is not perfect but gives me a good workout without leaving the house.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Check out the TRX on line. My gym now has several and it really works your WHOLE body!!! I'm getting great results!!
  • laurenmtapp
    laurenmtapp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The benefit of weight training in my opinion is more muscle=less body fat. You will appear more toned- You will not get big and bulky-which is what a lot of women are afraid of. Check out bodybuilding.com for exercises. To start out I would say to check out the machines and try to do 2 exercises for each body part split into different days. For example you could do chest and triceps on Monday. Do 2 machines that work triceps and 2 that work the chest. It's a good start and when you get more comfortable you can switch it up and venture into the free weights or pulley machine. Good Luck!
  • jumpin15
    jumpin15 Posts: 30
    Options
    Bump need to read later. Thanks
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's not true that you can't burn fat without resistance training. Any calorie deficit will burn fat - even with no exercise at all.

However...

Muscle utlizes more energy than fat... by a LARGE amount. So the reason weight training is encouraged is because when you have more muscle, your body burns more calories even when it's at rest. A person with 20lbs extra weight in muscle will burn significantly more calories just sitting on the couch watching TV than an identical weight person with 20lbs extra in fat.

Exercises: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-1.html
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have been doing mainly cardio myself, so I have just started incorporating strength training into my workout routine. I do the strength training machines at my gym - I do 3 reps of 10 at a weight I can handle, and I have had to increase my weigh over the past few weeks. 30DS is a good one too because it incorporates both cardio and strength training. I would do some research if you really aren't sure.

Strength training is very important too (especially for us women).
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Pay for a trainer or grab a friend who knows what they are doing. Tell them what you would like to achieve/focus on and let them guide you. You can do a couple of session and take it from there but let them know that you are a beginner so that they focus on technique. It's important to get the best benefit from the exercise but more importantly so that you do not hurt yourself.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    And what are the best exercises to do to focus on the different areas of your body? What are some that you all do that are your favorites and that show results?
    Thanks for your help!

If you are talking about fat loss... target reduction is a myth. Women tend to lose fat from their bellies and arms first, no matter what part of the body they are exercising. This is why ab machines can SAY they help you lose belly fat, but the truth is you'd lose that same belly fat no matter what strength exercises you did. That's just where women's fat is pre-disposed to come from first... usually!

If you are talking about toning or muscle growth, then yes, you can choose certain muscle groups to work on... but if you're talking overall strength to burn more fat (and increase your metabolism to burn more calories at rest), I agree with the poster before who suggested NROL or 5x5 compound lifts.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I just started weight training today - at the gym. I am looking forward to toning :)
  • alainagrisham
    Options
    The main benefit of strength training is that it builds lean muscle mass which is metabolically active. This means the more muscle you have the more calories you burn regardless of what you're doing: laying on the couch or hitting the elliptical!

If you have a local Curves, you can get in a full strength training & cardio workout in 30 minutes! It works every muscle groups and the circuit coaches are trained to make sure you're doing everything correctly and effeciently! (I know because I am one;) )

But in all seriousness, strength training is great for your muscles and your bones! If you can't get to a club or workout a routine at your gym I would definitely recommend the Jillian Michaels workouts. -kicked my butt- They are fast paced and don't take too long and you get the same benefits of strength training and cardio as Curves but you can do it in the comfort of your own home. You will need some light weights. I use 3-5s.

Another option would be to do a single private session with a personal trainer and take notes on what exercises you do. Some gyms do exercise prescriptions where they evaluate your goals and then give you a list of moves to perform.

Hope this helps!