My workout: Please provide feedback and suggestions

Options
OK so im working out more than before and trying to work on a regular 4 day schedule. As many here have said before, shorter reps and the heaviest weight help burn the body fat more. So here is an example of what I did. Please let me know if I should tweak something and make any suggestions.

5 Minute stretch

Cardio:
30 Minute Jogging, Power walking. (I walk at a rate of 3.5 for 3 minutes and then go to 5.5 for 1 minute)

Weights:
Dumbbell bench press 35lbs each arm 3 sets of 6
Incline dumbbell press 25lbs each arm 3 sets of 6
Dumbbell flies 20lbs each arm 3 sets of 5

Dumbbell Shoulder press 25lbs each arm 3 sets of 5
Dumbbell punching the air 15lbs each arm 3 sets of 10
Dumbbell shoulder flies 25 lbs each arm 3 sets of 5

Shoulder shrug 45 lbs each arm 3 sets of 10

Again, please provide feedback and anything would be appreciated

Replies

• blakeman187
    Options
    Go here, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 and read.
    Do a solid cardio workout a few times a week at least. Experiment with HIIT programs

And don't be a typical bro, your legs are more important than your arms and chest.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing the weights first (after warm-up) as it is much safer as you can lift more with good form if you are fresh. More chance of injury if lifting after cardio.

If you are doing the same workout each time you workout I would suggest not doing so, as your muscles do their growing and strengthening during recovery. There is no need to work any single muscle group more than 2 to 3 at the most times/week.

It also appears you are neglecting your legs and back with this routine. As an example my routine consists of
    Mon - Chest and triceps (triceps just at the end of the workout)
    Tues - Back and Biceps (Biceps just at the end of the workout)
    Wed - Shoulders and Legs
    Thrus - Cardio
    Fri - Chest and Back
    Sat - Legs
    Sun - Cardio or rest

My routine is not necessarily an example of what you should do, I just wanted to show how all muscle groups should be worked and that they all don't need to be done the same day. You may want to check out Stronglifts 5x5, or Starting strength, try goggling for more info on those programs.

FYI: shoulder flys should be done with light weight for more reps, if done at all, too heavy can injure shoulder.
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    #1: Are you constructing these workouts yourself?
    #2: What is a dumbell shoulder fly? If it is what I think it is then you should know that you are in great risk of messing up your rotator cuff

If you started out then I would recommend looking at All Pro's and SS for at least 6 months.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I would say increase your weight for sure, look into the HIIT programs and do cardio after your strength training. Also add in some legs and back stuff. Try adding some squats or weighted lunges.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    my workout was an example of day 1... day 2 was cardio again but this time backs and biceps.

so some of you said to increase the weight... should i increase during the exercise as in 25 30 and 35... if you havent noticed yet, but i lost all my strength during the diet phase and now going back im a wimp.... but i dont care because i want to get strong again and burn the body fat...
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is a good site for any kind of routine you are thinking about.

Research and decide what works for you. Pyramid, Superset, 5x5, Split, Fullbody. I'm a fan of fullbody myself. I used to do combination exercises for upper and lower body on different days with cardio days in between.

I have torn my rotator cuff before, and it's like no other pain you ever want to experience. Not to mention the MRI that requires a shot into the shoulder w/the blue dye. *shudders*. Please be VERY careful with the exercises using lots of weight and pulling away from the body.
  • raven56706
    Options
    #2: What is a dumbell shoulder fly? If it is what I think it is then you should know that you are in great risk of messing up your rotator cuff

If you started out then I would recommend looking at All Pro's and SS for at least 6 months.

whats all pros and ss?
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    Feel funny providing feedback because I am still trying to get my own strength workout more consistent and effective. The only thing I can really add is that Ive been instructed (via reading and P/T) that you start from your core and work outward. Im trying to do a core strengthening exercise of some kind everyday, and then treat chest, arms, shoulders, legs and back as rotations. Not saying thats the best way, I honestly think you will learn what works for your body as your strength builds.
  • erickirb
    Options

whats all pros and ss?

ss is starting strength, if you do for that program I would swap the cleans for deadlifts though, as it is a more basic move.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    neglecting your back will lead to injury.
    you should shoot for at least a 1:1 pull/push ratio. Everytime you do a shoulder press, you should be doing a pulling excercise later.

Ex. If you do 5 sets of 10 on incline presses, you need to do 50 pullups or 50 rows etc.

If you don't work your back, you'll end up with shoulder injuries. trust me on that one.

Your workout doesnt look bad for a chest/tris workout, but add in leg work and lots of back work.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    I agree with most people on this board defiantly cardio after weights. If I were you I would add more volume to your lifting.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    my workout was an example of day 1... day 2 was cardio again but this time backs and biceps.

so some of you said to increase the weight... should i increase during the exercise as in 25 30 and 35... if you havent noticed yet, but i lost all my strength during the diet phase and now going back im a wimp.... but i dont care because i want to get strong again and burn the body fat...

If you do a pyramid or a superset, never go higher than the highest you are able to finish without forsaking FORM!! You can do it either way, increase reps, as you lower weight.. or increase weight as you lower reps. I have found both to be effective. You can do a combination of both..
  • erickirb
    Options

As far as weight goes just make sure you struggle to keep good form on your last few reps in every set. If you are stopping before your form goes you are not lifting heavy enough. Once you can do 10 reps with good form, up the weight the next time around.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    neglecting your back will lead to injury.
    you should shoot for at least a 1:1 pull/push ratio. Everytime you do a shoulder press, you should be doing a pulling excercise later.

Ex. If you do 5 sets of 10 on incline presses, you need to do 50 pullups or 50 rows etc.

If you don't work your back, you'll end up with shoulder injuries. trust me on that one.

Your workout doesnt look bad for a chest/tris workout, but add in leg work and lots of back work.

Did you not read his post it says it was only an example of one of his workouts... not all he is doing.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Increase the weight only if you can keep good form and full range of motion.
    A good goal for the amount of weight lifted is you can do no more than 12 reps, keep good form and full gange of motion.
    If you find that you are struggling with form or full range of motion then decrease your weights and add more reps for body conditioning. This way you will help condition your body to balance heavier weights and have less chances of injuring your self.
    I would recommend doing cardio after weights as you will use the carbs in your body for your lifting, then your body can utilize your energy reserves (body fat) to fule your body for the cardio portion. Always do 5 to 15 min warm up before lifting. Also I do at least one day a week of HIIT a week. I have given you info on it before, if you don't have it any more it is on my profile wall.

Good luck handsome and remember we all have to start some where so never be ashamed of starting low.
  • raven56706
    Options
    when people say warmup... what do you mean? just wondering what are good examples of warmups?

also here is the schedule im going by

day 1: cardio, chest and shoulders

day 2 cardio, back and biceps

day 3 light cardio and legs

day 4: triceps and cardio

thoughts?
  • raven56706
    Options
    bump
  • raven56706
    Options
    im open to all suggestions because my main goal is to bring down my body fat number and get cut
  • erickirb
    Options
    when people say warmup... what do you mean? just wondering what are good examples of warmups?

also here is the schedule im going by

day 1: cardio, chest and shoulders

day 2 cardio, back and biceps

day 3 light cardio and legs

day 4: triceps and cardio

thoughts?

Looks good, but again I would put cardio after the weights, and it may be a waste of a day just doing tricpes as a muscle group on their own, they get hit with shoulders and chest as well. You may want to add that to the chest/shoulder day and just have 3 different weight workouts, if you workout a forth repeat the first one. So you have workouts 1, 2, and 3, so if you workout M,T, Th, F you could do M - 1, T - 2, Th - 3, Fri - 1 then the next week start with workout 2, and go M - 2, T -3, Th - 1, Fri - 2. this way you workout each muscle group a little more often yet still get enough rest and recovery.

As for warm up that would be 5-15 minutes doing some type of activity (jumping jacks, skipping, jogging, biking etc), plus a set or 2 of weights with a light weight.
  • raven56706
    Options
    on the off days, i work out on my abs and do various pushups...