Popcorn...what is with the conversion and serving sizes?!?

Options
OK!! Popcorn: 3tbsp unpopped is 130cal. 1C popped is 15cal (WTH!?!) 3tbsp makes approx. 6C popped....sooooo I am eating 6C of popcorn if I eat one bag?!? Are you serious?!? and...who the hell eats only 1C popcorn? and who the hell eats just the kernels at 130cal for 3tbsp? #$%@!() I swear to God this feels like a conspiracy.......:huh:

Replies

• jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been agrivated w. The same thing. Not all the kernals pop is what I've taken away from the nutrition labels. A full size bag is about 5 cups so 130 cals in kernals may be only 100 total.popped. you gotta really pay attention to the labels. Some tell you how many cals a cup is but not how may cups are in a bag. Others look light but are crap in snack sized bags. I was at the store tonight making sense of it.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Popcorn weighs the same popped or unpopped. You can eliminate the problem of variable volume by weighing.

Do you both have scales?
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that the majority of the oil used for the popping of the corn is not absorbed into the finished product. I've switched to an air popper, it's nice to try out different varieties of popcorn. I really like the small-kernel type, we have one that has virtually no hull, which is nice for my 3-year old.
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    OK!! Popcorn: 3tbsp unpopped is 130cal. 1C popped is 15cal (WTH!?!) 3tbsp makes approx. 6C popped....sooooo I am eating 6C of popcorn if I eat one bag?!? Are you serious?!? and...who the hell eats only 1C popcorn? and who the hell eats just the kernels at 130cal for 3tbsp? #$%@!() I swear to God this feels like a conspiracy.......:huh:

^YES! I totally feel like it's a conspiracy. A REALLY CRAPPY CONSPIRACY!
  • cejubitz
    cejubitz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a microwave air popper, and I'm trying the popcorn seasonings that you sprinkle on? A friend of mine at work does this, and she uses grapeseed oil in the popper, so that the seasonings will "stick". Do any of you do this? She claims a large ziploc bag full is only about 50 calories. What is your favorite seasoning?
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    lol...I usually just pop and eat the whole dang bag. The brand I buy is 30 cal. per cup, so 2,5 serving per bag is still only 75 cal. So yea I'm a sucker for popcorn
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I make hot air popcorn. It's cheaper in the long run. I eat it plain, with a little melted spray butter, or with Kernel Seasonings popcorn seasonings. If you don't want to do the hot air popper, you can just buy the single serving 100 calorie pack popcorns... no hassle, tastes great, costs more.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    This is why I only buy the 100 calorie packs of popcorn. No conversion issues. LOL
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think it's because not all the kernels pop. I only buy kernels and pop them in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave with a bit of oil, it's so much cheaper. One bag of kernels costs $2 and makes about 10 bowls.
  • sive1990
    sive1990 Posts: 38
    Options
    Ah I am still deliciously confused! So if I make 1tbsp of unpopped popcorn, how many calories will this amount to ?
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    So if I make 1tbsp of unpopped popcorn, how many calories will this amount to ?

I don't know, I think a tablespoon is too variable to quote a figure. Tablespoons and cups are the devil's measure for solid foods.

Using USDA data:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/7341
    357 cal per 100 g
    A tablespoon that holds 10 g of popcorn is 36 calories.
    A tablespoon that holds 20 g of popcorn is 71 calories.
    I've seen estimates ranging from 8 to 16 grams.
    As I'm sure you know, you'll need to measure the oil or sugar you add.

Have you considered weighing the popcorn?
  • morgs013
    morgs013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I, too, just started buying the mini bags - 100 cals - no conversion needed!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper and pour in the right amount of kernels per serving which is 1/4 cup. I season it with chilli powder or some low cal cheddar seasoning. 180 calories but who cares popcorn is healthier this way and is delish.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I, too, just started buying the mini bags - 100 cals - no conversion needed!

This. Measuring everything would just drive me insane.
  • sixxfan4ever
    sixxfan4ever Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I prefer the snack size bags of popcorn. It is filled to the top of a normal sized cereal bowl, almost overflowing. Plenty for me. And only 100 calories.