Need help with calories vs protein

Options
I am hoping that someone can help me out with this. I am close to meeting my calorie intake as well as carbs and fat each day, but, my protein is always over a bit. Does anyone have ideas for food that have decent calories but less on the protein??

Thanks in advance for any help on this!!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about going over on protein - the levels set by MFP are quite low, and you can happily consume up to 100-150g without it being an issue. It's particularly important if your doing any strength training, as it helps to repair the muscle.

If you dont like seeing all those red figures, you can use the custom settings to increase your daily protein target.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You described it as being "a bit" over. I wouldn't worry about it. You'll need it if your doing strength training.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Extra protein is a good thing! X
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I suggest always to go over in protein!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    More protein is always good :) I love, love, love seeing that bright red number...
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! Thanks for asking... the responses made me feel much better!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney issues, extra protein is a good thing. Just about every day I end up doubling what MFP has alotted for me. :)
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you are close in your macros (protein, carbs, fat) then you are ok if you go over/under a bit.
    Remember that those percentages for the macros are somewhat arbitrary, people here at MFP have goals with different percentages.

Having said that, I do try now the "balance out" the macros.

This is what I do:

a) If it is almost end of day, and I see that I need more Fat but I am close on Carbs and Protein to my goal, I eat Pecans or Walnuts, which are rich in "good" fat
    b) If what I need is more protein in particular, I would probably eat Tuna (light in water)
    c) If I need more Carbs, I would eat a fruit (banana, etc)

That way, I can "tune" what I eat so that the macros more or less reach my target goals
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    keep the extra protein!!!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Over on protein is fine so long as you don't have a medical condition that contraindicates it.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    protien is really good. so go over and dont worry about it. it also takes more energy to digest protien than fat or carbs, so you burn more calories when you eat protein.
  • ABT2003
    ABT2003 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses!! I feel much more at ease now. I was so concerned that this was going to prevent me from reaching my goal! Again, thanks to you all I appreciate your help!
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can always change the basic percentages that MPF calculates your macros for you. Personally, I have 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. These suit my eating habits and still give me goals to reach rather than second guessing-myself and potentially over eating.

You can change them under:
    MY HOME > Goals > Change Goals > Custom, click continue... there you can change ALL the values for your nutrition.
  • ABT2003
    ABT2003 Posts: 5
    Options
    You can always change the basic percentages that MPF calculates your macros for you. Personally, I have 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. These suit my eating habits and still give me goals to reach rather than second guessing-myself and potentially over eating.

You can change them under:
    MY HOME > Goals > Change Goals > Custom, click continue... there you can change ALL the values for your nutrition.

Thank you for your reply!!