Workout Plan for Glutes (and surrounding muscles)

Options
I plan to include glute exercises to my "leg days" which is twice a week. I'm looking for a workout plan (not just saying "do a bunch of squats"). I know, no one wants to write up a simple 3-5 set exercise plan but it doesn't hurt to ask. So, I'm asking.

Replies

• CyanideCyster
    Options
    Try The Butt Bible routines, they are on youtube. There are 3 levels with 2 routines each, one for upper body and the main lower body routine. I just do the lower body as I'm targeting the glutes and abs only on my non lifting days. It's a really good workout! So pleased I stumbled across them, they're are a few before and afters on here.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Legpresses
    Barbell squats
    Deadlifts

I only hit my legs really hard 1x per week, and this is my routine:

Legpress: start at 110 lbs and progress up to 210 lbs in 4 sets of 8 reps
    Donkey calf raises: start at 90 lbs and progress up to 180 lbs in 4 sets of 8 reps
    Barbell squats: start with bar only (45 lb olympic bar) and move up to 95 lbs in 4 sets of 8 reps (I can do more, but I am working on keeping my form)
    Deadlifts: 95 lbs in 4 sets of 8 reps.
    If I have energy to do it, I usually do some half hack squats to target the quads as well. Weight varies depending on how much energy I have left.

2 min break between sets.

I've noticed dramatic improvement in my legs, glutes, lower abs, hips, and lower back.

When you start compound lifts, you may need to start at lower weights to get your form down, but squats and deadlifts will work the crap out of your posterior chain and legs.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Heyy, why dont you go on youtube and search for good workouts for the glutes? :smile:. Ive got a gym ball and some weights and i had no idea of what excercises to do with them, untill someone told me to go watch videos on youtube, and at least then you can see for yourself the excercise and maybe you can follow on screen movements :smile:
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I look at youtube sometimes, but I prefer things on paper that I can print out and mark down. I'm a "follow a plan" type girl. If it's not planned out then I'll either forget to do it or F it up badly. My gym has me set up with a strength plan that I printout daily and record my reps and such, but no glutes sadly. I'm weird like that.

I did go to bodybuilder.com and they have some glute workout plans pre-made and printable. Might just look at some of those and see what I can actually accomplish.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I look at youtube sometimes, but I prefer things on paper that I can print out and mark down. I'm a "follow a plan" type girl. If it's not planned out then I'll either forget to do it or F it up badly. My gym has me set up with a strength plan that I printout daily and record my reps and such, but no glutes sadly. I'm weird like that.

I did go to bodybuilder.com and they have some glute workout plans pre-made and printable. Might just look at some of those and see what I can actually accomplish.

That's a great place to start. bodybuilding.com also has links to glute-specific exercises, and you can build your own plan from there if you like. That's what I did, and it's working quite well for me.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Weighted Lunges are great.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    I'm avoiding lunges as much as possible :laugh: I have started doing squats with a bar bell and nearly killing my knees every time.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I'm avoiding lunges as much as possible :laugh: I have started doing squats with a bar bell and nearly killing my knees every time.

There are some very good videos on youtube for squat technique. It should not be hurting your knees too badly if you're doing them right. Make sure you are using good form.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Glute Bridges - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bbE64NuDTU. They'll strengthen your glutes and also help you increase your weight in squats and deadlifts, courtesy of super hot Scott Herman
  • lizjames1971
    Options
    Physio lunges
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    I follow what the trainer director showed me and what I've seen on DVDs and youtube. I don't think I could be messing up THAT badly. I've noticed most things I do when bending my knees kills them. Wouldn't hurt to rewatch some vids though I suppose
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bumping for later - could do with a good butt lift :D
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    The "So you think you can squat" series is outstanding and points out a lot of the more subtle but important stuff for squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF9QD7oCIA

Squats are very difficult to do correctly as a beginner, so make sure you are careful especially if you have pain.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    If you hate lunges, get on the elliptical trainer set to the maximum level and run as fast as you can for 5-10 minutes. It is super hard but it does lift your buns.

I do this every time i am using the elliptical machine (4x-5x/week).
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I usually use the elliptical when everyone has taken up the treadmills. I should use it more.
  • icandothis318
    icandothis318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am going to check out bodybuilding.com as well. I use the donkey kick machine at the gym and I go light and I feel it as it is working. That machine is the truth! I want to get more of a regimen as well because I am all over the place with my workout plan. The only thing right now that is etched in stone is my C25K and my HIIT, sort of – as I just started the HIIT yesterday.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

My gym also has something like that and you should be able to go in and tell it what you want to do.. so they can add in glute exercises if you want.

I know like mine has me doing squats, lunges, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, etc.. and all of those work the glutes and surrounding muscles.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Legpresses
    Barbell squats
    Deadlifts

I only hit my legs really hard 1x per week, and this is my routine:

Legpress: start at 110 lbs and progress up to 210 lbs in 4 sets of 8 reps
    Donkey calf raises: start at 90 lbs and progress up to 180 lbs in 4 sets of 8 reps
    Barbell squats: start with bar only (45 lb olympic bar) and move up to 95 lbs in 4 sets of 8 reps (I can do more, but I am working on keeping my form)
    Deadlifts: 95 lbs in 4 sets of 8 reps.
    If I have energy to do it, I usually do some half hack squats to target the quads as well. Weight varies depending on how much energy I have left.

2 min break between sets.

I've noticed dramatic improvement in my legs, glutes, lower abs, hips, and lower back.

When you start compound lifts, you may need to start at lower weights to get your form down, but squats and deadlifts will work the crap out of your posterior chain and legs.

Wow thank you!!!!