do your hands swell?

Options
Does anyone know what could be causing my hands to swell when I am out doing my walking? Is there something I can do to help prevent it? They don't swell normally, and my feet don't really swell either, at least not noticeably like my hands. My rings are usually falling off, but for a little while after my walk they are stuck on.

Replies

• kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention? I know my hands will swell up sometimes after I've had a lot of sodium (chinese or mexican food, usually)
  • bblonskidesigns
    Options
    sometimes this happens to me too...was wondering the same thing
  • jendoskow
    jendoskow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great questions... mine do too! Hopefully someone has a good answer :)
    Jen
  • shesapear
    shesapear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I notice my swell also. But I think it has something to do with water retention.
  • tulsarose
    tulsarose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mine do too! I can be walking for just five minutes, and my fingers look like little sausages! :) I'm interested to know if anyone knows what causes this ...
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my hands do the exact thing when I walk outside. I don't notice it as much when I walk on the treadmill, so I always thought it had something to do with the heat. But if anyone knows the real reason, I'd love to know as well.
  • chelleann777
    chelleann777 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. Make sure when you are walking you keep your arms at a 90 degree angle to keep the fluid from gathering in the hands. It will help. Good luck:)
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Keep them elevated to your waist or above. It helps keep the blood circulating.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Its water retention and also caused by your body heating up. Its very normal and I have found as I lost weight it wasnt as pronounced.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It's just gravity, I believe.

Keep your arms bent at the elbow or occassionaly raise them over your head to get the blood from pooling again.
  • Jersey14
    Jersey14 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thank goodness I'm not alone! My hands have swelled up during walking for as long as I can remember but like everyone else I think it's water retention.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising I noticed this as well, but it's completely stopped now that I've lost pretty much all the weight I had to lose (have 2.5kg to go). I make sure to keep my sodium intake low as well though so could be linked to that.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Mine do this too. Funny thing is, when I run, they don't swell nearly as much (and I'm working much harder!). i think it has to do with holding your hands straight down at your side. I think someone above mentioned holding elbows at a right angle. I think this would help.
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    Your hands are pointed to the ground and swinging like a pendulum causing fluids to get trapped. This is why hikers have walking poles ( helps with support also). Bend your elbows parallel to the ground and see if it makes a difference.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Mine do the same thing but if I keep my hands above my waist it's fine.
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Article from from MSNBC : http://health.msn.com/health-topics/heart-and-cardiovascular/why-do-my-hands-swell-up-when-i-walk

What you are describing is common. It’s likely related to vasodilation, which means that blood vessels are opening up, leading to increased blood flow near the surface of the skin. Increased blood flow just under the skin makes the face pink or red and it may cause puffiness of the hands.

Contrary to popular belief, getting red in the face during exercise does not mean you are out of shape.

Vasodilation may occur as one of the body’s ways of regulating temperature. Releasing heat generated by exercise is important, as it allows the body to maintain normal temperature.

Even before working up a sweat (another means of releasing heat), the blood vessels near the skin tend to dilate. This allows more heat to be released from the blood as body temperature rises during exercise.

There may be other explanations for puffy hands during or after exercise:

An exaggerated, normal reflex. During exercise, blood flow to exercising muscles increases. In an effort to maintain circulation to other parts of the body (including the hands), blood vessels may dilate. In some people this reflex is more pronounced than others.
    Trapped fluid. During exercise, there is increased circulation throughout the body. While the legs have large muscles that work hard during many exercises and that help “pump” this added blood flow through the veins, the arms have smaller muscles and they may not be working as hard during a workout (for example, while jogging). If the hands are held below the level of the heart, the added fluid must travel against gravity. Together, these factors make it harder for the fluid to return to the heart. The extra fluid that is “trapped” in the hands can cause puffiness.
    Once you cool down and the circulation and blood vessels return to normal, your hands and the color of your face should return to normal. If your rings are tight after exercise, it’s probably a good idea to take them off before you start working out.

Your hand swelling and facial redness may be annoying but they are unlikely to be due to anything serious. Think of them as small prices to pay to stay in shape and avoid overheating.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I noticed this happening when I ran my first 5K a few weeks ago. A friend told me that it was a sign that I wasn't drinking enough water. After the race, I drank a bottle of water, and the swelling went away. *shrug* Not sure if that's the actual reason, but figured I'd put my two (borrowed) cents in!
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Could be nothing or could be more serious.. You may be cutting circulation off to your hands while walking, so keep them moving above waist level. But also, your body may be trying to pull access fluid away from your heart and lungs, such as when you have CHF. I would speak to your DR about it because it may be nothing at all, but I've known many who suffer from CHF and that is a sign to them to "SLOW DOWN"..

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. That explains why one hand does it worse for me. I take the dog with me and usually hold my right arm at a 90 degree angle holding his leash, but the other just hangs by my side. Maybe I need to keep switching hands I hold the leash with.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. I notice it goes hand in hand with dehyration (for me anyways). If I haven't been drinking enough fluids (or if it is an extermely hot day) before my workout then my fingers swell a little.

When it does happen after I drink my post workout water my fingers are back to normal.