Recipes for kale? Opinions?

Options
pbajwally
pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
I saw a giant bag at BJ's yesterday for only $1.99, but I've never eaten it (that I know of) and didn't want it going to waste before getting some good recipes or feedback. Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Replies

• soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just cook it like any other green. I use a deep skillet or even a wok. A bit of broth to help steam. Seasonings can be to your taste. I like garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and onions in mine. Use low salt broth or it will be too salty.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You can toss it with extra virgin olive oil and bake it for like 5-10 min and they are like chips. Kale Chips
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I sautee kale with garlic, crushed red pepper flakes & EVOO ~ yummy!!! I use it as I would spinach & put it in my veggie lasanga too.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You can toss it with extra virgin olive oil and bake it for like 5-10 min and they are like chips. Kale Chips

I have heard about kale chips....thanks for sharing this! I am going to try them!
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Anytime you make soup, throw it in. I've put it in vegetable soups, chicken noodle, 8 can soup, etc. Just put it in last and cook for 5-10 min. It's delish!
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use to cook bacon and use the drippings, then add the crispy bacon at the end. Now I don't because I heard from some "experts" bacon isn't good for you.
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find you need to bake the kale for about 1hr at 200 to make them nice and crisp. A friend told me yesterday about rubbing the fresh kale with a pureed mixture of carrot, sunflowers/any nuts, curry paste and olive oil before she baked them- they tasted amazing!!! I usually just toss with olive oil and sea salt and bake...
  • Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Options
    you could make kale chips, they are yummy, just bake in the oven at 350 for about 10-12 minutes, with i tiny bit of olive oil and whatever seasoning u like, take it easy on the salt, i way oversalted mine last time :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I usually put it in soup. I think it's delicious. I do want to try the kale chips too. What have you got to lose? Well, $1.99, I guess, but that's not too bad.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Super easy to make! Grew up with this & it's the best soup in the whole world :)
    Caldo Verde - Portuguese Kale Soup:

1 large Spanish onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    10 ounces chouriço, diced
    6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    8 cups cold water
    1 pound kale or collard greens, cut into very fine julienne
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Add the garlic and half the chouriço and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cover everything with the water, bring to a boil and lower the heat, simmering until the potatoes are almost done, about 15 minutes.

2. When the soup is cool enough to handle, purée it in the food processor and return to the pot. Add the greens, bring everything back to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls, and garnish with the remaining cubes of chouriço.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I make green smoothies out of it! Super yummy!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I :heart: kale! I put it in soup and as a garnish for pot roast. Quite yummy!! yum.gif
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    i just recently decided to sautee it with EVOO, a clove of garlic and seasoned with a bit of sea salt. so good! i've always only baked kale with a little EVOO and either sea salt or nutritional yeast and eat them like chips.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    make sure you only use the leafy parts though! and kale is very bitter so if you rub/massage it a bit it helps reduce the bitterness.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you like greens, you should like kale. Fix it as you do any other. Be sure to strip out the stems, they are very tough.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've only found two ways that I like kale:

1. Boiled for 45 to an hour, southern style with lots of salt and smoky meat. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/collard-greens-recipe/index.html
    2. Baked for 15 minutes or so with a little oil and salt. http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/09/kale-chips.html

Yes, I've heard how wonderful it is lightly sauteed like spinach or raw as a salad green. I personally find lightly cooked or raw kale as appetizing as brillo pads.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love to add kale to brothy vegetable soups :) Or saute it. chop in strips and saute with garlic, onions, 1 tbsp olive oil, and chopped kalamata olives, you can sprinkle crumbled feta too or sometimes I add sun dried tomatoes. That's an awesome deal!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    and kale is very bitter
    Is it? Not what I've been eating...
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Berry Banana Smoothie

1/2 cup of (soy) milk
    6 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 banana
    1 cup of mixed frozen berries
    (stevia) sweetener to taste
    3 - 6 oz of kale or other raw greens
    1 tbsp ground flax seed

Mix all together in a high powered blender. I am hooked on this every single morning! If you don't like chocolate you can leave it out and it is still delicious. I use a lot of cocoa powder to help hide the veggies.

Orange/Kiwi/Pineapple smoothie

Use two of the three fruits or all of them:
    1 orange, peeled
    2 kiwis peeled
    1 cup of pineapple
    3 - 6 oz of kale or other greens

mix together in a high powered blender.
    You might add sweetener but I didn't' need to because of the sweetness of the fruit.