Running (eating more) vs Less exercise (eating less )

Options
I'm told you should eat the calories you gain from exercise in order to lose weight more effectively

I just wanted to know the benefits of this. I'm starting half marathon training this week which is allowing me to eat a lot more, how would this compare on my body to doing little exercise (e.g. walking 30 mins day) and eating less?

Obviously it would make me fitter but would I lose weight at the same rate? Any other benefits?

Replies

• Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    The main benefit is it will support your training for the marathon and give your body what it needs to excel. I think if you were to just sit and eat less you would not look great as the weight came off. Everything just loosens up and isn't pretty.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As you said, it is mostly about being fit. Your body will look a lot better as you will be more fit. Certainly for training/running, the extra calories are needed if you start to go distances over 5 miles, etc. You don't have to eat all the calories but you do want to support your body so you won't feel fatigued.
  • sa1712
    sa1712 Posts: 11
    Options
    any more opinions on this? have a feeling it will slow down my weight loss!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It very well may slow your weight loss - weight loss is calories in vs calories out.

However, the QUALITY of the weight you lose will be different. You will be tighter with more muscle. Also, if you don't eat, you will quickly find that your performance will suffer.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Do you want to weigh less or look good? No one but you ever sees the scale. Focus on being healthy.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Steady-state running isn't really a muscle building activity, so I have no idea what people are talking about. You're not going to look more muscular from running a marathon. You're pretty much going to look the same if you just sat around and ate less than running and eating more to create a similar caloric deficit. At best, you will have slightly nicer legs (which is possible considering the amount of activity they will get) but that's it.

If we're talking about weightlifting, which induces hypertrophy, then that's a different story.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do you want to weigh less or look good? No one but you ever sees the scale. Focus on being healthy.

Love it.
  • sa1712
    sa1712 Posts: 11
    Options
    Steady-state running isn't really a muscle building activity, so I have no idea what people are talking about. You're not going to look more muscular from running a marathon. You're pretty much going to look the same if you just sat around and ate less than running and eating more to create a similar caloric deficit. At best, you will have slightly nicer legs (which is possible considering the amount of activity they will get) but that's it.

If we're talking about weightlifting, which induces hypertrophy, then that's a different story.

hmmm

i'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes. all the fat im trying to lose is lower body anyway lol