NEED tips and suggestions!!

Options
My husband and I are leaving for a cruise April 7th, anyone have any suggestions or tips for staying on track while we are on the ship? I especially need help with drinks (yes, alcoholic drinks) that are lower in calories!

Replies

• JessicaW0204
    Options
    Bump, c'mon guys.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Vodka water with lemon wedges or a splash of juice! Whoot! Have a wonderful time!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i always find the "drinks" the hardest i would avoid most of the cocktails....

that being said enjoy , use the gym, walk up stairs , don't use the lift, ( elevator)

but most of all enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Spirits and diet mixers.. thats all you can do really.

An average spirit (vodka, whiskey etc) is about 40 calories per shot and diet mixers are next to nothing.

Thats all I can think of.. Have fun!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    dont go back for seconds at the buffet.

stay away from fruity, or creamy drinks..how about rum and diet coke?

where are you going for your cruise??
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I drink flavored vodka with seltzer or water.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Use the on board gym before the day gets started (assuming they have one), or walk laps around the upper deck. The cruise I went on was LOTS of sitting around and having people walk by asking if we wanted drinks. There will be food everywhere you turn, some healthy options and some not. It's up to you to choose the healthier ones, especially when everything is "free". I would personally say don't worry about logging food while on your vacation, just make a big effort towards picking healthy options. My cruise had a sushi bar in the evenings, a great low calorie snack. They also had self serve ice cream machines in every buffet cafeteria, so be careful :)

There are also lots of excursions to choose from, so maybe pick the ones that encourage hiking, swimming or something with lots of physical activity. The food is amazing so don't deprive yourself, just jump on chances to stay active. It's easy to sit around all day :)

HAVE FUN!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    log your cals. eat a bigger lunch than dinner. take advantage of the gym, even if you are just there for 30 mins will make a huge difference. flavored vodka and seltzer, rum and diet coke. Make sure your port calls have one walking tour each time or snorking.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!! wear sunscreen too.:drinker:
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    Well I like adult beverages and why do we drink them? Honestly to get a relaxed buzz when we go out. My thoughts ,and I use them, is #1 I won't drink it if I don't like it and some of the fruity drinks just don't do it for me. I like the thicker liquors and drink Sambuca watered down with ice. 2 shots and I am good. I may add a bud light with it for the wash down for extra measure. when going on a vacation you need to know ahead of time the calories of the drinks you like. wines have less calories for example, if you like them. What ever your favorite drink is now, stick with it on your vacation and know the calorie content before hand. when I am home, I can add the drink to my daily intake of calories but on vacation you may not have option to do that. I know keeping active helps with what ever you drink or eat as not to gain. Cruises have food 24 /7 so it would be easy to over induldge for sure. Good luck and have a grat time!!!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My mom is on a weight loss journey too and is traveling to Cancun at the end of April. She was panicing the other day about this same thing. I think the easiest thing to do is concentrate on maintaining and not freak out if you don't lose. Ships have free gyms, if you eat a bit more than normal, go work it off. Swim more, etc. Oh, drink wise, I'd prefer to drink what I want and go work it off, so I have no suggestions there.
  • JessicaW0204
    Options
    dont go back for seconds at the buffet.

stay away from fruity, or creamy drinks..how about rum and diet coke?

where are you going for your cruise??

We are leaving from New Orleans and going to Falmouth, Jamaice - Grand Cayman - and Cozumel, Mexico. I am soooooo excited!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Credit to orig. OP.

This was posted this past wkend:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536838-60-healthier-drinks-for-boozing

have fun!
  • JessicaW0204
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't think I will have a problem with the eating part because I tend to lean towards healthier foods anyway - but I definitely will not be logging my calories. To access wi-fi on the ship it is ridiculously expensive. lol I definitely prefer wine over beer or fruity cocktails so maybe that could end up being a good thing. I will have to check on the calories in some of my other faves.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Choose steamed veggies over fried ones, avoid creamy sauces, gravies and dips, don't go nuts at the buffet (as in don't go back for seconds and thirds lol!) and choose fruit deserts over rich ones - lots of tropical fruit on those cruises! Drink lots of bottled water to stay hydrated as well. As for drinks - mix your spirits with seltzer water or diet soda and avoid the fruity concoctions, the calories are crazy in the fruit-juice based drinks! Those cruise ships have pools and gyms as well, take advantage!!

Mainly, don't fret about it - just go and have fun! It is a vacation after all :)
  • JessicaW0204
    Options
    Credit to orig. OP.

This was posted this past wkend:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536838-60-healthier-drinks-for-boozing

have fun!

This is awesome! I may have to print this out and take it with me!! :)
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This might help depending on what diet style you go for...

6 Tips to Eat Healthy While Traveling
    http://www.rillsmenu.com/2012/03/6-tips-to-eat-healthy-while-traveling.html
  • shelbseroo
    shelbseroo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep a written food diary if you can't be logging cals exactly - just to keep you in the habit of logging your food.

But the others have said it all :) Have fun!
  • tjhung3
    tjhung3 Posts: 5
    Options
    set yourself goals and limits!
    like only one splurge meal every two days. let yourself go for that one meal and dont worry about it.
    other mornings, at the buffet try to stick to fruits and nuts with yoghurt, other than the pastries and hashbrowns!
    or as a good protein alternative, stick to the eggs and tomato with a slice of wholemeal toast!
    i know its hard when you go away. i gained 3 kilos after going away for a week with my boyfriend.
    but weight can be lost also! so still try to have fun!
    dont stress about it all the time, id rather of tried amazing foods and gained a little!

you can always come back to a slightly stricter health routine at home!
    i hope you have fun!