Fun but healthy appetizer?

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
I am in charge of appetizers for easter. We are going to have at least 10 , 6 kids (who have a big appetite) and 4 adults, I don't think we are having anymore people. But I am looking for something fun but not the normal, I get tired of dips and things like that, any ideas please?

Replies

• SAMSON25
    SAMSON25 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I ran across this one a few weeks ago, I think we're going to give it a shot for Easter too

http://www.livestrong.com/diablo-eggs-recipe/
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I love cucumber sandwiches! Take small squares of pumpernickel bread, spread some low fat cream cheese on them, a slice of cuke on top, and sprinkle some garlic salt on it! Great finger food!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I ran across this one a few weeks ago, I think we're going to give it shot for Easter too

http://www.livestrong.com/diablo-eggs-recipe/

those look interesting! i bed their spicy as all hell
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Smokes salmon w/ onions, capers, olive oil & lemon on toast points! Crab Dip!
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    SHRIMP COCKTAIL!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has lots of great appetizers! i personally love the bacon wrapped chicken
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    I love cucumber sandwiches! Take small squares of pumpernickel bread, spread some low fat cream cheese on them, a slice of cuke on top, and sprinkle some garlic salt on it! Great finger food!

this sounds yummy to me. I think it'll be my contribution to my friends Easter Brunch!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, sweet potato fries
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Go small -

If you have a gourmet/speicality food/Whole Foods type store nearby, see if they have quail eggs -- then make little tiny deviled eggs out of them.

Tiny hamburgers, little hot dogs, baby ears of corn. Tiny quiches, tiny cupcakes.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has lots of great appetizers! i personally love the bacon wrapped chicken

This. The chicken bites are awesome! We dipped them in a homemade honey mustard (light mayo, whole grain mustard and a squeeze of honey to taste).
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bacon wrapped pineapple chunks. I make these all the time and they're killer!

The recipe calls for cutting the bacon in 1/2, but I cut it in 1/3. Also, you can omit the brown sugar, I often do. Even if you pop 6 of these bad boys in your mouth, it's only 2 pieces of bacon!

I've also been toying with the idea of using turkey bacon, but have yet to try that. Don't see why it wouldn't work, though!

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/appetizers-and-snacks/bacon-wrapped-pineapple-bites/
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

This. The chicken bites are awesome! We dipped them in a homemade honey mustard (light mayo, whole grain mustard and a squeeze of honey to taste).

I make these often, myself! Hell, anything wrapped in bacon is good!!! :bigsmile:
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    you can do fruit kabobs! get the kabob sticks and put grapes, cantalope, melon, pineapple chunks through the sticks.

also - try small fresh mozzarella balls and the small grape/cherry tomatos on the kebobs, yum :)
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Walawender33
    Walawender33 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The stuffed mushrooms that I told you about before are really awesome. Spinach and artichoke dip is always a crowd pleaser too. I also like chili cheese dip I dont put meat in it I use vegitarian chili.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    So many amazing ideas!!! Thanks everyone, now to decide....
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Bacon wrapped pineapple chunks. I make these all the time and they're killer!

The recipe calls for cutting the bacon in 1/2, but I cut it in 1/3. Also, you can omit the brown sugar, I often do. Even if you pop 6 of these bad boys in your mouth, it's only 2 pieces of bacon!

I've also been toying with the idea of using turkey bacon, but have yet to try that. Don't see why it wouldn't work, though!

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/appetizers-and-snacks/bacon-wrapped-pineapple-bites/

I wonder if this would work with pancetta? The deli by me will cut it paper thin.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I'm always looking for new, fun recipes too!! =]
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Tuna Cucumber Appetizer

Just add mayo to tuna fish and put into the cucumber and sprinkle little paprika on top ITS SOOO GOOD and healthy too and they have olive oil mayo which makes this dish even healthier!! Enjoy

Cucumbertunasaladoderbs-1.jpg