Looking for a heart rate monitor

Options
Smudjie
Smudjie Posts: 126 Member
Can anyone suggest a heart rate monitor?
Also can anyone tell me does a heart rate monitor tell me how much calories i've burned or do I have to do some fancy looking up with information from the monitor?

Replies

• tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Here is a recent thread about the HRM. I am still trying to decide on one myself. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/533795-hr-monitor

Hope this helps!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7 seem to be the brands held in highest regard.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I've had my Polar F7 for 4yrs or so now and I'm still in love with it.
  • Smudjie
    Options
    Rach do they tell us what we've actually burned in calories when we exercise?
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Rach do they tell us what we've actually burned in calories when we exercise?

Yes, you input your age, height, weight, etc. Do the little fit test so it knows your heartrate zones. It tells you calories burned, average heartrate, max heartrate, etc., at the end of your workout. :smile:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I have a polar A5. I have had it about 8 years now. Last year or the year b4 I had to buy a new chest strap 4 about $35 on eBay. So I highly recommend polar too.

Yes they tell u calories burned, etc.
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i recently bought the polar F4 w/chest strap i am happy with it, using it wasn't very complicated which is great! lol
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If you're only interested in it for HR functions, it seems Polar is the most popular. Just make sure that it has a chest strap.

However, if you're a runner and would like GPS capabilities, I'd go with the Garmin Forerunner 110. It's got basic functions for HRM, as well as GPS capabilities, so you can take your runs outdoors. The only thing is you can't use the food pod (allows for tracking on a treadmill) with this lower version, but the next Forerunner model up does. I love my Garmin Forerunner, I've had it for about 2 years now. It's awesome :)
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Polar ft7
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    just bought my Polar FT4 on the weekend, and so far i'm loving it. easy to use, and so far it does just what i need it to (cals burned and tells me when i'm in "my zone" for fat burning). that's really all i need. :)
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7....sice you can change the batteries yourself
  • ken4luvonly
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 (color pink) with chest strap..love it!!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with Timex T5G971? It seems rather highly rated by Consumer Reports while they seem to not like the Polars.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT60 - love it

Go to the polar website and you can compare the features that you need and your goals to decide which is best for you.
    I find it really motivates me to know my exact calorie burns, because i find the site is not always correct.

http://www.polar.fi/en
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4... i absolutely love it. I have had mine for almost 2 months now and still absolutely love it. The FT7 holds more information and can do data transfers. But since I have my phone with the MFP app on it I just log at the end of my workouts and so that wasn't a big issue with me.

For the money - the FT4 is a great investment. You can also find them on Amazon for as low as 60 bucks with cheap to free shipping. I am the type of guy that when I want it - i want it now - so I spent 89 bucks on mine at a sporting goods store.
  • Smudjie
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE, got a Polar FT7 on sale so was happy about that, just need to get it set up, can't wait to try it out!!

Been a wealth of information, I'll post here again let you know how it goes :flowerforyou:
  • HeatherFP13
    HeatherFP13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Smudjie
    Options
    HI Rach :) You mentioned a fit test? I don't see one on the FT7?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with Timex T5G971? It seems rather highly rated by Consumer Reports while they seem to not like the Polars.

I do and I don't like it.. It over estimates calories burned as do all Timex's.. Save yourself a headace, and get a Polar.

To OP:
    Polar is the way to go... FT4, FT7, FT40 or FT60. I have the FT60 currently and I like it a lot.. It's a very good HRM.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    HI Rach :) You mentioned a fit test? I don't see one on the FT7?

F7 and FT7 are two different models.. F7 is older and used to include the fitness test. FT7 is the new model and does not.. For the fitness test option, you need to look at FT40 and above.