I over ate this past weekend, now what?

Options
My husband and I went on an overnight stay at a beautiful hotel and out to dinner and breakfast. I ate all my favorite foods and realized I gained 6 of the 10 lbs i lost back. Now I'm hoping some of that is water weight from eating restaurant food but still that's a lot to gain. How do I handle my calorie intake for the next few days? Cut back for a few days? Eat regular daily amount?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    you didn't gain 6 or 10 pounds--it's water weight and food mass. resume your NORMAL routine. don't try to overcompensate for the eating. It's not worth it at all.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Carry on as usual...
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    Id just think what a wonderful time you had and start again...no point beating yourself up over it...we all have those days :smile:
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The weekend is gone and it's a new day. Get back on track with your allotted cals for the day and drink some water. Unless you made yourself sick eating this weekend your 6-10 lbs are mostly water. Since 3500= 1lb, you would have had to eat until you were sick to gain that much in actual fat.
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly sure you did not gain 6 pounds in one weekend. I'm sure most of that can be accounted for in water and in just normal daily fluctuations. You can cut down just a little bit in the next few days if you want, but I would recommend just getting back to your regular eating routine. One weekend of eating whatever you want isn't going to kill your weight loss, and you should be able to enjoy your vacation.
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath - you over indulged, but we all do that occasionally. As you surmised, you did not gain a full six pounds from one weekend. I would say just get back on plan for the week - eat the regular amount you've set up for yourself and get back into the routine.

If you like, maybe throw in an extra workout or two this week, or up the intensity a little if it will make you feel better :)

But the important thing is to remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint, and we all get off course a little here and there. The important thing is to get back on the path and keep plugging along. There is no need to look for shortcuts to make up time lost on an excursion - slow and steady, and you'll get there!

Andre
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone.

I like Dave Ramsey's analogy. If you have one tire flat you don't go around slashing the other 3.

:flowerforyou:
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on.
  • lovespicyfood
    lovespicyfood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great post and great advice! I just "gained" 3 pounds over the weekend even though I was not good, I wasn't bad enough to justify (imo) that gain. But I have to chalk it up to maybe being a little dehydrated in my weigh-in last Friday and retaining a little water Monday...
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Just carry on, don't suck the joy from your lovely weekend.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Whats that new catch phrase thats everywhere these days?....

"Keep calm and carry on"
  • cheria55
    cheria55 Posts: 26
    Options
    I guess the fear is that if I can see the scale go up and believe its not fat gained than can I believe when the scale goes down that it's really fat loss.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Get back on the grind asap and all will be fine.
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like Dave Ramsey's analogy. If you have one tire flat you don't go around slashing the other 3.

I love this!!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In the immortal words of Dory..

" Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming"
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Saddle up & jump back on the horse.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I over eat almost every single weekend and it hasn't hurt me yet!! Last weekend I attended 3 BBQ's and gained 2 lbs, however by the following friday I had already lost the 2 lb gain plus lost an extra lb on top of that!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The only thing u can do is to get back on track today, what's done is done. Just don't do it ALL the time.
  • cheria55
    cheria55 Posts: 26
    Options
    Nothing will ever suck the joy out of the weekend lol, but It is disappointing to almost start all over again. I have so much to lose and would have thought the weight loss would have gone quicker in the beginning. I can't believe how hard I am struggling to lose just the first 10 lbs of about the 75 I need to lose.
  • chevvy53
    chevvy53 Posts: 44
    Options
    Enjoy your self, get back on track and perhaps leave the weighing for a coulpe of weeks after you come back from future trips ? stay focused your doing well :smile: