Im giving this a try !

Options
Hey im ashley and im new to myfitnesspal. I weight 277 pounds and im 20 years old. i feel and look so gross and really want to make a change in my life. i havent ate fast food in 2 weeks and for me thats a long time since i work within a 50 second walk of like 5 fast food places lol. im really struggling to find time to exercise and i dont really know what to eat anymore. I love vegetables but i dont always have them in my house ( i live at home still) so ive been eating like 90 calorie granola bars and stuff which to me still isnt good for me cause it has no nutrition really. im running out of steam and ive only been at it for 2 weeks. i need some help bad!

does anyone know of any websites you can get quick healthy meal ideas from??

Replies

• katie980
    katie980 Posts: 24
    Options
    what i would do if it's not in the database is google search "calories burned pilates" and find out through a calculator how many calories you burned. then, you can create your own exercise, type in a description, and the number of calories. it'll be in there for you in the future under "my exercises". hope that helps!
  • jackienelson24
    Options
    http://www.sparkrecipes.com/

I just found this website with healthy recipes, I haven't tried them yet, but they sound good. I made the excuse of not having time to exercise too but I've found that if I make that a priority and made the time to excersice I get alot more done in my day. Good luck and welcome to myfitnesspal, you will love it.
  • crashlee
    crashlee Posts: 17
    Options
    thanks :) i love cooking i just dont know what to cook lol.

what i need is a gym membership because i dont really know how to exercise at home and i find its alot easier to stop and take an hour long break when im at home. im fine once i get to the gym i have no probablem working out its just making myself go that i have the problem with.
  • Younger_at_50
    Younger_at_50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here are some websites I've bookmarked:

http://caloriecount.about.com/foods
    http://allrecipes.com/Default.aspx
    http://www.calorieking.com/recipes/
    http://recipes.prevention.com/homepage.aspx
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipes/cooking-light

Most of these, if not all, provide you with nutritional info for the recipe.

Hang in there, YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • crashlee
    Options
    thanks! i really appriciate it guys :)
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making a big first step!
    You GO Girl! :love: :flowerforyou:

Summer fruits & veggies now are awesome! Salads are easy!
    Organic greens + chop up most any veggies, add chicken, tuna, even berries.
    Sprinkle with sunflower seeds, other nuts, no cheese or croutons please!
    Go easy on the dressing....... pick clear ones, avoid creamy.

Anybody in the house to buddy up with on this?

Getting to the gym works best for me too!
    Taking classes or get with a trainer if poss.

Best to you!!! You can do it! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • crashlee
    Options
    i love salad and i actually had it last night for dinner with chicken breast in it. i dont like creamy salad dressing but is kraft roasted red pepper or sun dried tomatoes and basil dressing good for you i have trouble knowing whats good for me.
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    join team beachbody. they have great meal plans, recipes, etc... Plus, you can add buddy's and workout together.. I have one..

http://tinyurl.com/m59v73

It's free to join.. :)
  • Jnd921
    Jnd921 Posts: 18
    Options
    http://www.sparkrecipes.com/

I just found this website with healthy recipes, I haven't tried them yet, but they sound good.

Awesome website! Thanks for the tip. It even has a calorie calculator for my own recipes!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    i love salad and i actually had it last night for dinner with chicken breast in it. i dont like creamy salad dressing but is kraft roasted red pepper or sun dried tomatoes and basil dressing good for you i have trouble knowing whats good for me.

I started making my own salad dressing. I never realized how easy it was. Plus I control the healthy and taste of it. I just looked on the internet for some recipes.

Here's a couple sites that I have used to find recipes and meal ideas. You can also just go to Google or Yahoo and do a search for healthy meal ideas or healthy recipes. You'll be overwhelmed.

www.cookinglight.com
    www.eatingwell.com
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You recognize that there is a need to improve your lifestyle PLUS you are already making healthier decisions - these are commendable first steps (and for some people, they're the hardest!)

I was successful with Weight Watchers back in 2003, as I had learned about portion sizes. However, even though I had lost close to 40lbs, I still didn't feel like I was eating very healthy. Let's face it - a person can eat 25 points worth a day of chocolate...doesn't mean they're eating healthy. So that was one aspect of the program that I didn't like - I needed more of a guide to help me make healthier decisions.

I went to see a dietician and she designed a plan for me based on X amount of exercise each week, my age, weight, etc. It's similar to the plans that diabetics follow and is VERY close to the national food guide recommendations. Not only does it outline what I should be eating (protein, grains, veggies, fruits, dairy, healthy fats, etc.), what amounts I should be eating (1 cup, 1 oz, 1 tbsp, etc.) and at what time of day I should be eating them (3 meals and 3 snacks evenly space throughout the day) it also has a great chart showing different examples of foods to choose (one side is healthiest choices and the other side are foods to choose less often).

It cost me $100 to meet with her for the initial consult and then $40 every month after that. Best move I ever made.

I also talked to a personal trainer. He did a kinetic chain assessment on me (to make sure all my parts and pieces were working properly and in alignment with one another :laugh: ) and designed a workout program for me. Unfortunately, a lot of the exercises require machines and I can't always get to the gym everyday, thanks to an unsupportive husband. So I adapted similar exercises that I can perform from home.

I was just like you - didn't know what to eat and had a hard time getting my butt to the gym but worked really hard once I got there. When I was younger, I had a friend that was "skinny" and she was my workout pal. We did our own thing once we were there, but we drove together - that way, neither of us flaked out.

Don't get discouraged. You have the desire to change and with a bit of effort you will see the pounds drop. Stay positive - don't let that number on the scale bother you...just remember that it will only go down from this day on! :)

Also, a turning point for me this time around (I have been trying to get back on track for months and have only seemed to really "get it" in the last few days) was when I changed my internet home page to MFP profile. Everytime I get on the computer to check e-mails, etc......BAM! There is my calorie count for the day. Really keeps me in check! :)

If you're interested, my friend and his wife are part of a Health & Fitness Alliance with me. They lived hundreds of miles away but we communicate through e-mail everyday. We share our foods with each other and give each other feedback/advice, etc. We also set weekly food challenges for each other (ie. eat all of your veggies or get enough milk servings, etc.) as well as an exercise challenge (ie. do 100 pushups by next weigh in or go for a 20 min walk 3 times this week, etc.). Every week the challenges change and get a bit harder as we get stronger and healthier. But checking in with them everyday really helps!

Good luck!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

what i need is a gym membership because i dont really know how to exercise at home and i find its alot easier to stop and take an hour long break when im at home. im fine once i get to the gym i have no probablem working out its just making myself go that i have the problem with.

Welcome!!! It's very good that you are here!!!

I just wanted to say that you can start small with the exercise. Take some walks! But not past the fast food joints. ;-)

Walking is a great way to start, and it can get you into more aerobic kinds of exercise as you go!

Take care! Glad you're here!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome, you will love it here if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that I wish that you have great success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • crashlee
    Options
    thanks everyone. I think this site will do wonders for me because i go on here everyday and your little tickers showing how much you have lost tells me that mine will someday say 110 lost. i know its going to be alot of hard work but it will be a better more beautiful fun me in the end and im excited for that. i think im getting the hang of what to eat and such.

last night i had the most delicious stir fry and it was really easy to make. All that was in it was 1/2 cup of white rice, 1cup each of red yellow and orange peppers, 12 baby carrots ( cut in half) 1 cup of broccoli and 1 cup of shrimp. I cooked it in a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and i didnt use sauces just roasted garlic and red pepper seasoning on the veggies and a bit of chipotle rub on the shrimp. it was so good and even my little brother liked it. i was actually surprised that it tasted so good cause i dont like cooked peppers when they go mushy so i just put them in at the end with the shrimp and by the time the shrimp was cooked the peppers were still kind of crisp.

i think i can do this!!!
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't "think" you can - "KNOW" you can!! Look at that ticker progress - you are well on your way :flowerforyou:
  • crashlee
    Options
    i know im excited about it!!!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Wooo! That stir fry sounds YUMmmy!
    Good job....... see, eating healthy is FUN.

Try using brown rice too...... healthier than white :bigsmile:
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

• eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    sorry, I messed up my last reply!! Anyway, if you have cable see if you have the fitness channel. I used my dvr and recorded differnt yoga workouts. I love them cuz its lots of stretching(its feels great)and nothing that gets you all out of breath!!:happy: :happy:
  • crashlee
    Options
    ive tried yoga on the wii fit and its hard lol. im not very flexible. same with pilates i have 3 dvd's at home that i do sometimes