SABRA HUMMUS..

Options
I'm trying my best to eat "clean." None processed foods, whole grains, veggies, fruits.. and I'd say the only "processed"? food that I usually have is Sabra hummus. I've read some reviews that Sabra hummus is basically like MAYO! i'm not quite sure if this is true lol, I know we all have our opinions.. but it's so delicious & seems like it'd be a healthy staple in our household. I mainly use it as a mayo substitute for my sandwiches / condiment. Just wanted a few reviews on this? THANKS MFP!

Replies

• dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I did find a recipe for a cauliflower hummus. You replace the beans with the cauliflower. I plan to make it soon.
  • Rroobbiinn
    Options
    Sabra is my hummus of choice. It's so delicious. Compare labels.

1 TBSP Best Foods Mayo: 90 cal/10g fat
    2 TBSP Sabra Classic Hummus: 70 cal/6g fat

So basically if you went with 1 TBSP hummus you'd be saving almost 2/3 of those calories instead of choosing 1 TBSP of Mayo. Definitely a good replacement for Mayo as long as you're not overdoing it.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    If you're going off of calories, sure, there's not much of a difference. Sabra hummus is filled with healthy monounsaturated heart-healthy fats. It's protein packed and delicious! Don't cut it out of your diet, it's fantastic for you :D
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I sure hope not! Love that stuff. And always patted myself on the back, thinking it was a healthy choice!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy hummas.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I was making my own hummus, but I've started buying the Sabra singles because I use it very sparingly. No more fried pita chips with a big ol' tub of homemade hummus! The nutrition profile for hummus also has fiber and protein, so I think of it as a LOT better than mayo. Still, I use it very judiciously since the calories add up fast.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you're going off of calories, sure, there's not much of a difference. Sabra hummus is filled with healthy monounsaturated heart-healthy fats. It's protein packed and delicious! Don't cut it out of your diet, it's fantastic for you :D

Awesome. Thanks!! :)
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just did a comparison of 2 TBSP of their original Hummus and 2 TBSP of mayo in my diary. The hummus has less than half the calories just over a quarter of the fat and has 2 g of protein and 1 g of fiber. I would definitely go with the hummus as a healthier replacement.

It is not difficult to make yourself and often tastes better (you can flavor to your taste) and you can decide how much olive oil etc to use.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    hummus is not like mayo.
    hummus is mostly chickpeas and sesame paste.
    mayo is mostly oil and egg yolk.
    they are different.
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    hummus is not like mayo.
    hummus is mostly chickpeas and sesame paste.
    mayo is mostly oil and egg yolk.
    they are different.

Exactly. Go with the hummus. It has some nutritional value in the chickpeas, plus its lower calorie.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. :) i think it's okay to use it instead of mayo.
    I also try to follow the serving size so I don't over do it because i love it so much.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I prefer Athenos brand.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I like them both, and have now added it to my shopping list. Thanks for mentioning it.
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Sabra Supremely Spicy Hummus

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just bought the eat right brand of spinach artichoke hummus. It has like half the cals of sabra but still tastes as good suprisingly. I was a bit hesitant to buy it so i bought the sabra also incase i didnt like the eat right one, but i loved it so i'm eating both right now haha!
  • krisinky
    Options
    I wanted to throw in a tip for the hummus. I watch my carbs and therefore really don't eat pita bread or the pretzels and other things that go with hummus. I have lowcarb.high fiber tortillas that I throw in the skillet to harden up, then I cut them into strips or triangles for a quick lunch. Very good and I don't feel bad about it because the hummus is healthy.
  • Amberelise40
    Amberelise40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kimble-

I did the exact same thing! I love Sabra's supremely spicy, so I picked another tub up this weekend, but I noticed the Eating Right spinach artichoke was half the calories so I bought it also. I love both equally, but at half the calories, I'll definitely be buying more of the spinach artichoke.

My only worry is, WHY/HOW is it half the calories? It does seem a little thinner, but is that all? Did they just thin it out a bit with water? I'm okay with that, but if it's because of some other process or some weird thing I'd like to know.