Supplements, Vitamins, or Nothing?

Options
Hello everyone,
I was wonder if anyone take vitamins or diet supplements. My step sister takes diet pills but don't reallywork out and I've read a few reviews about them and I heard they're good. Make me wonder if I should take something, especially the facts that I have a lot to lose and I'm always tired. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion.

I take a daily vitamin and whey protein but I don't believe in diet pills, shakes, etc etc. Just eat healthy, exercise, and drink LOTS of water. You can reach your goals with hard work and determination.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think a good multi vitamin and fish oil are proven winners. Whey protein is also great. I take a few more things but those three are the ones that are a must have for me. Someone once told me that the person that gets the most out of supplements is the guy selling them. I think that's one of the truest statements I've ever heard.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would DEF not recommend diet pills, but in terms of good supplements overall, a high-quality fish oil (like Nordic Naturals) and B-Complex are both great for energy and metabolism. If you're looking for even more, I've known people that take a green tea extract supplement, but you have to make sure that it's pure green tea and not loaded with extras like caffeine or other speedy ingredients. I also take something called OPC factor which is a blend of antioxidants used to fight free radicals and improve overall health. I've noticed a major difference since using it. Hope this is helpful and good luck!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If the energy thing bugs you a fat burner isn't always bad. But a good multi-vitamin/multi-mineral and maybe a fish oil supp are always good. Since when you diet you don't always get all your vitamins. I love 100% whey protein after a hard work out or just as a snack since I have a hard time getting protein from what I eat (i'm allergic to a lot of stuff)
  • Pretty_Brown53
    Pretty_Brown53 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thanks !
  • Pretty_Brown53
    Options
    Very helpful!
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I was wonder if anyone take vitamins or diet supplements. My step sister takes diet pills but don't reallywork out and I've read a few reviews about them and I heard they're good. Make me wonder if I should take something, especially the facts that I have a lot to lose and I'm always tired. What are your thoughts?

I would say supplementing with a proven multivitamin and high-quality fish oils are a great start! Leave those diet pills alone....it will be to your detriment in the long run. To address the tiredness, make sure you are eating within 30-45 minutes after a workout with good quality protein and carbs.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pretty_Brown53
    Options
    What does 'bump' mean?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    What does 'bump' mean?

It's a secret.

Anyway, vitamins are for those with a diagnosed deficiency.
    Supplements are to supplement missing dietary nutrients.
    Diet pills are to remove excess cash.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump is just a way of keeping the thread on the first page so others can see it or the person that bumped the thread can keep track of it more easily :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    People "bump" a topic they want to read, but where they don't yet have anything to say.

I take a multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin D.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    People "bump" a topic they want to read, but where they don't yet have anything to say.

I take a multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin D.

Be very careful with Vit D, do not add it without talking to your doctor. It comes in many doses and you could cause an over dose by taking the wrong one. While in woman it is fairly common to be low on vitamin D, its still better to have it checked first. Also, can try a B12 complex
  • treetop57
    Options
    Right. I should have said, "I take a multivitamin, fish oil, and (on the advice of my doctor) vitamin D."
  • treetop57
    Options
    That said, I just ran across this:
    Vitamin D

The elderly and individuals with dark skin (because the ability of the body to make vitamin D from exposure to sunlight varies with the degree of skin pigmentation) should consume 25 micrograms (1,000 IU) of vitamin D daily; these individuals should eat vitamin-D fortified foods, such as fortified milk products and fortified cereals.

From the University of Nebraska's "Nutrient Recommendations for Adults," http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/live/g1555/build/g1555.pdf

As always, "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."
  • Cindym82
    Options
    All I know is my doc has me on 1,000IU daily but said if I'm going to be in the sun for a few days, or when summer starts, to stop taking them
  • MasterZeddicus
    MasterZeddicus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    WOW since nobody seems to know. BUMP stands for Bring My Post Up.

And a good multivitamin is CRUCIAL during dieting in my opinion.