BANKS - Talk to us about Pliometrics!!!

Options
Please?:flowerforyou:

Beneficial?

Hurts my shins... :grumble: but still push through...

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Plyometrics is awesome! Burns up the calories so make sure you are eating enough so you dont starve your body!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess that depends on what you're trying to do. It's not as good of a cardio workout as some other types of exercises, and it's not as good at building muscle size. It's essentially a training tool for athletes.

What it's REALLY good at is increasing a couple of things. 1st - reaction time for the particular type of activity. 2nd - speed and repeatability of a specific muscle group. 3rd - overall power of a particular muscle group in relation to existing size.

Plyometrics works off the same theory as supersets (but has dynamically different results). Work a muscle hard, then push it a little harder than that, and you incorporate more muscle fibers into the work, which forces more muscle fibers to be active (most muscles do not use all of their available muscle fibers because a muscle fiber is like an on/off switch, you ether engage it or you don't, to vary power you engage more or less fibers in a muscle). The more fibers in a muscle you engage, the stronger that muscle becomes.

the difference between plyometrics and supersets is that plyometrics uses short, very powerful bursts of additional energy instead of adding extra repetitions or sets. You'll never get huge doing plyometrics, but you will become very powerful in ratio to the amount of muscle you have. It's essentially a way to train your muscles to be more efficient within their current mass restrictions.

It's a great tool for any athlete that requires fast reaction time. Like sprinters, basketball players, football players, tennis players...etc. Endurance athletes will benefit less from plyometrics.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Not that I need the reaction time other than running after my toddlers :tongue: but my trainer likes seeing me gasp and swear at him...:glasses:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks!

Not that I need the reaction time other than running after my toddlers :tongue: but my trainer likes seeing me gasp and swear at him...:glasses:

they're all sadists! :devil:

I know I am!:tongue:
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Plyo is really tough! I did the P90X dvd yesterday (w/o the bonus round) and burned 700 kcal!

It's a love/hate relationship with Plyo now :brokenheart: :heart:
  • lovinlife581
    lovinlife581 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love Plyo! I do the P90X Plyometrics dvd, too, and it is tough! I'm excited and a little scared every time I start that one. I love when we're about to do rock star hops (I think) for the second time and everyone is breathing heavy and Tony just says "suck it up!" It's exactly what I need to hear at that moment! :laugh:

Anyway, do be careful about how you land - not flat-footed, but on your toes. And be sure your knees stay behind your toes when/if you lung. It's better to go slower with good form than to go fast with bad form.

Enjoy!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I told my trainer he was a sadist and he agreed.. then made me work harder:laugh:
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    I am doing P90X too and I love that workout...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks!

I told my trainer he was a sadist and he agreed.. then made me work harder:laugh:

lol! Better the devil you know right? :glasses: