Need ideas for easily taveled food

Options
In about 2 weeks I will be starting back school, and it will require me to be away from home for both lunch and dinner. I can carry around a lunch box with an icepack but the food would have to keep all day. I won't always be able to get to a microwave. The restaurants close by aren't that great health wise and I can't afford to eat out every school day. Any ideas are great, I'm not picky about veggies or fruits but when it comes to meat I only eat poultry and seafood but I also like tofu. The only for sure idea I've been able to come up with is some of the bumblebee tuna salad things but I can't eat that all the time and definitely not twice a day. Please Help! :happy:

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    hmmmm

BUMP!
  • legalind
    Options
    shakes (slimfast) have always worked for me! same with V8...
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    For snacks I can suggest air popped popcorn in a ziplock baggie, I did this on a road trip and it went over huge!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Go old school and pack a peanut butter and sugar free jelly sandwich on whole grain bread or a wrap!

Also I always take veggies and hummus for snacks.:heart:

If you can prepare some veggies (sautee, steam, grill etc) I love putting them in a pita with a wedge of laughing cow light cheese spread on it!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have some thoughts- of course I'm not sure exactly what you like, or what you're goal is as far as healthy eating goes (low sodium, low fat, "clean" eating, etc.).

Granola bars, nuts, yogurt, popcorn cakes/soy crisps (with peanut butter if you'd like), cold chicken strips on a salad (i'll even eat cold chicken plain!) :laugh: , tortilla chips with a little container of salsa, crackers with hummus or laughing cow cheese, of course lots of veggies/fruit, and you can make your own trail mix with your favorite cereal and nuts/raisins/ a few m & m's, etc.

Also, don't know if you've ever checked it out, but the Hungry Girl website has a lot of recipes that you could make at night or over the weekend, and then just grab and go during the week (chips, dips, treats, etc.)

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would think something like a turkey sandwich would hold out ok til lunch. I use Deluca chipolte mustard, Sarentino reduced fat cheese slices with any jucy things like tomatoes in between the cheese and turkey so the bread does not get soggy.

String cheese also should keep til lunch, paired with special K crackers is good.

Lettus and veggie salad with dressing on the side should last til dinner time.

The old stand by of peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat.

Nuts

If you have access to hot water (some coffee machines have this) some dried soup cups might work although many are not so good calorie wise.

Pasta salad, depending on the ingredients could also be a good option. Good luck!
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that I bring with me to school and work:

* Sandwiches - tuna, chicken or turkey all of these can also be made into low-cal "salads" using light mayo.
    * Soup - for those days you can make it to a microwave. Or you could carry a thermos. Progresso makes so great low call soups!
    * Wraps - use pita break or tortillas, they can even be veggie, just use a little hummus and whatever vegetables you like
    * Nuts - almonds and walnuts are my favs just watch out for salt! (I buy unsalted)
    * Dried fruit - sugar content can be high so measure it out
    * Fiber One Bars
    * String cheese or Cabot cheese slices
    * Fruit - fresh or canned. I buy a large can and then break it down into small tupperware dishes it's cheaper.
    * Hummus and veggies
    * Low cal crackers (I like Triscuits or Special K)
    * Pudding snacks - Hunts brand doesn't need to be refridgerated.
    * Jello

I'm sure there is more, you'll learn to be creative, but hopefully that helps!
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Here are my favorites:

BabyBel cheese (expensive but so satisfying)
    yogurt
    cup of greek yogurt with fruit in it
    veggies & dip/hummus/peanut butter.
    oatmeal in a thermos (excellent after it has sit for two or three hours)
    fruit, get fancy and cut it up if you want - I always eat more if it looks nice
    Fiber One Bars

Investments that will help: a soup sized thermos, reusable plastic cutlery (so you don't have a total cow they get lost, I got a pack at IKEA for $2), plastic containers. I found this excellent size at Target, made by rubbermaid, it is a divided rectangle (about 2/3 and 1/3). I don't think that the sides are watertight from each other, so I probably wouldn't put wettish things in it, but it seems to work well for me for fruits and veggies. A container with three veggies in it will fill me up for hours! I also make my yogurt and fruit ahead so that I can grab it on the way out the door. You could use individual sized yogurts but they are more expensive and you can't add fresh fruit ahead of time.

Hungry Girl usually has good suggestions - subscribe to her newsletter for more ideas.

Good luck. You can do it!

Good luck - it will get easier. I'm still learning but I feel like I've made great progress.
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    salad
    yogurt
    fresh veggies or fruit
    chicken wings (you could make a big batch and then just take a couple) i dont mind them room, idk if you do
    go lean meal replacement bars are pretty good
    hummus and pretzels
    sandwhiches ( put the toppings like tomato lettuce mayo in separtate containers)
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    These are some really great ideas -- but pay some attention to your lunch box. I know a lot of contractors and surveyors that are outside all day. They all tend to use some form of small cooler. Some are soft, some are hard; but they don't use something because it is stylish -- but because it works with the ice packs to keep the food cold. :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Frozen water bottles will also keep food cold, while thawing in time for dinner :wink:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would always take an apple/banana and a yogurt with me to school. But then I was really bad then and that is all I would eat until I would get home. No wonder I gained so much weight when I graduated. :angry:

Sandwiches always work. Try a turkey sandwich with lots of vegies I like cucumber and lettuce with oil and vinegar. You can put your toppings in separate ziplocks and then assemble when you are ready. Nothing gets soggy that way!

Good luck and good for you! I wish I had been a little better about eating right in college. (I took my skininess for granted then.) :bigsmile:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have a long commute to work and I often go the gym directly after work so I often have to bring breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a fridge here but it is always packed full so I usually keep my food at my desk. Since I am eating it throughout the day I am not too concerned about it staying really cold. The lunch box itself is insulated anyways.

When I am home for dinner I tend to make left overs that I can bring in the next day. I also like to make soup at work. I buy the ones where you don't have to add any water and aren't too high in salt. I also love salads, sandwiches and fruit and veggies. And even though they are not always the best choice sometimes I have lean cuisine for dinner. I can't remember if you said you had a microwave. For snacks I like yogurt, eggs, fruit, veggies, granola bars, pudding, etc.
  • AlyssaLoflin
    AlyssaLoflin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all these ideas, I didn't even think about hummus and that is one of my fav foods and it totally keeps, all the ideas are super great!! Thanks!!