Replies

• mtcHavingItAll
    mtcHavingItAll Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my calories and am feeling tons better! The first two weeks with upped calories I didn't see much of a weight loss- but the third week in I dropped 3lbs in one week and I was ecstatic!

I went from a net of 1200 to a net of 1400. So I eat around 1400-1800 a day and I feel better. Especially on days I am not exercising.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Great job!!

What did you up your calories from? This might just be the thread I needed! I'm at 1220 calories (without exercise), but am on a 3 week plateau. I eat back almost all my exercise calories, because I don't want to drop below 1220.

Awesome job again!!!
    I was around 1300 and not eating back my calories burned, which are around 250. So now on rest days I do 1500 and then 1800 on workout days. If you find it hard to get it all in, add healthy oils when cooking or eat a handful of nuts. We roast them in the shell in the oven for 25 min. and then allow 20 peanuts as a serving. That means I put 20 shells all in a bowl, crack them open and eat how ever many there are in a shell. I also eat a tablespoon of p-nut butter on apple slices. Good luck!!!!!
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wish they had taught us these things growing up. Maybe we wouldn't have so many young people with eating disorders! They would still be getting their nutrition and getting thinner. It totally makes sense! Congrats on your revelation!!! :bigsmile:
  • ArynnOctavia
    Options
    I keep telling people this when they ask for "how are you doing it" advice, but they never believe me! Hopefully, with more people saying it, they'll start believing us!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    It's true. Eat to lose. Stuck in a plateau? Raise your calories.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

From the MFP BMR calculator page: "Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation."

These are the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations (weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years):

Male: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age + 5
    Female: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age - 161

YOU are responsible for choosing an accurate activity rate. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have ANY type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

The reason this site, Myfitnesspal, uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations is because this site allows you more flexibility in your added exercise. In reality, some people will not get much if any real exercise, and MFPal gives you the option to add this in as needed.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm freaking out but I am going to up mine as well. Eating 1200 calories is not working for me. Im stuck stuck stuck :(

do it slowly if you are nervous..

I just upped mine as well.. i'm getting excited.. i find myself with more energy and not afraid to eat :)
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    OMG!! This is GREAT information. I just decreased my calories from 1200 to 1000 trying to lose more. I will up them for the next 2 weeks to see what happens. Thanks for sharing!!!!! :happy:

glad to see you will up your calories.
    i hope you weren't netting just 1000 for too long.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Eat to lose. Best way to lose weight!

Also, for those upping their calories - keep in mind that if you've been severely restricting your calories for a long time, you will likely see an initial gain when you up them. DO NOT LOWER THEM! Give your body time to adjust and the weight will come right back off. It is normal for it to go up - your body is learning to adapt to getting more food. Once it realizes you're going to consistently give it enough food? It'll stop panicking and start losing weight.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200... Upped mine to 1400 to 1500 eight days ago. Yesterday I weighed and have lost 2 pounds ***smiling***

is the 1400/1500 net calories? do you eat back all your exercise calories?
  • dgbiggz
    dgbiggz Posts: 25
    Options
    That's great! That has never worked for me. Sometimes I think my body just works opposite of the way it should!! lol! If I do that - I gain BIG. This is my 3rd week on mfp & I've weighed in twice & lost 2.5 lbs both times, so I'm cool with that for now. I can't imagine eating that much on purpose! I would be a BALLOON...been there/done that. My former trainer used to tell me I had to eat so when I did it his way for 2 weeks & gained 5.5lbs., he told me to STOP. ha!

Keep it up!
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories this past week and I am doing just fine, as well! Who knew?! :)
  • jpsgrl
    jpsgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is all so interesting, I wish it would work for me. I am working out with a personal trainer 2-3 days a week, doing cardio the other two days and following 1390 calories a day. I haven't lost a pound in a very long time, like 2 weeks maybe. As a matter of fact as soon as the scale says I have lost one pound, the next weigh in says I have gained 2.5. Anybody have any ideas what I am doing wrong
  • mandi108
    mandi108 Posts: 16
    Options
    My brother was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (really tragic since he's only 21) and they put him on an 1800 cal diet. I decided to join him, even though it was a little more calories than I was used to eating so he would have some moral support, and I've actually started noticing a tiny difference as well. I've only been doing this for a few days and I try not to look at the scale every day so I don't stress out but my clothes seem to feel better. So I'm going to stick with it. Maybe I'll finally get the results I've been wanting!:smile:
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • beeka2ked
    beeka2ked Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warning that there may be an initial gain. Ive heard its best to eat more to lose more but must say Im still a little afraid. Maybe I'll up it just a little from 1300 to 1500 and gradually increase it.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I'm gonna bump it up to 1400 from 1200. It makes me very nervous, but I'm willing to give it a shot!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watchers before I found this site and discovered once I added the calories instead of points that I was sometimes even below 1000 calories/day. I got on this site and started eating more, around 1500 on days with exercise, and for the last 6 weeks the weight has come off really steadily. Definitely cutting the calories, unless you're eating a lot and not well, isn't always the answer to losing the weight. This website does shoot a little low on protein though, so I'd recommend more of that in the morning and afternoon to help weight loss (and stay more full).
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    i just upped mine to 1410 (set it to lose 0.5lb a weeks since i have less than 15lbs to lose. haven't gained any weight and i feel so much better. not starving all the time and more energy. i'll up it more after i test this awhile
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm looking over your diary and a lot of things look good. I'm not seeing what you're doing on your workouts, but that might be helpful. Try to log those as best you can so you know what you're burning. I often eat a little more on those days, but not everything I've burned. Are your clothes fitting better? You could be gaining muscle. Sometimes it better to ignore the scale and focus on that. I would say stick around 1500 calories/day if you're working out and don't eat out for a lot of those--sometimes those nutritional facts/serving sizes can lie. It looks like you're getting a good amount of protein, so keep doing that. As long as you're getting both plenty of cardio and strength stuff your workouts should be good. It looks like maybe weekends can mess you up a little bit, so maybe try to take one off and see if that changes your results at all (it might not--I'm not always good on the weekends and I haven't found it to be hurting me).

Feel free to check out my diary, I try to keep it as updated as I can. Hope this was helpful!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!