Vinegar instead of Salt on Veggies

Options
Wecandothis
Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
I've been enjoying eating raw veggies, but I have missed the 'zing' that salt gives them.

This morning I sprayed my clean raw grape tomatoes with Vinegar (which I use to clean raw veggies to get bacteria off of it) And didn't rinse it off. I brought it to work and just that spritz of vinegar from a spray bottle is plenty of 'zing' and I don't miss the salt at all!!!

I just thought perhaps someone else might want to try it.

Replies

• AlyssaLoflin
    AlyssaLoflin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That sounds good:smile: . I used to use 1-2 tbsp of light olive oil with oregano and a few other Italian spices to dip veggies in it was great.
  • Ffer0509
    Ffer0509 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great idea...I love the zing of vinegar...will have to try.

Thanks!!

:smile:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Good idea - I love vinegar and would probly love this.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Lemon is really good, too. Actually, I usually prefer it to vinegar. Same principal, different acid.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Ooo! I'm going to try lemon too! thank you!

I'll have to figure out a way to get that lemon in a little squirt bottle - like I have vinegar in.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Ooo! I'm going to try lemon too! thank you!

I'll have to figure out a way to get that lemon in a little squirt bottle - like I have vinegar in.

Check your grocery store. Mine has these cute little lemon and lime shaped squirt bottles already filled with the juice. Of course, I use enough lemon I bought one of the little lemons and just refill it from my big bottle of lemon juice.

This may sounds weird, but try lemon on your bake french fries, too. I watched my dad do it when I was growing up and thought it was weird. Now, I think it’s great. Wonderful salt substitute.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Vinegar would be great on fries too. Is it Canada that does that a lot? Can't remember but there is a region that this is the norm. Well, that and salt.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Mmm, this was a wonderful idea. I ate some celery last night. I like celery fine as is, but added some vinegar to it. I could eat that all day long. Thanks so much for the idea. I might have to do this to all my veggies.
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I thought it was normal to eat vinegar on fries here too...i do it and live in ohio!
  • wayz12
    wayz12 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you like vinegar on your veggies, just to experiment, you might check out rice vinegar. It tastes wonderful with almost any kind of veggies.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had rice vinegar. I have tried cider vinegar and much prefer white vinegar to that. What's the difference between white vinegar and rice vinegar?
  • wayz12
    wayz12 Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had rice vinegar. I have tried cider vinegar and much prefer white vinegar to that. What's the difference between white vinegar and rice vinegar?

The taste may vary depending on a person's taste buds. In my case, I find rice vinegar milder when it comes to that sour vinegar taste, and it is also a little bit sweeter. Mixed with a little olive oil and some freshly ground black pepper, it also makes a great salad dressing.

It is also available in seasoned or flavored types...but you have to check the nutritional value for those, because I'm sure it won't be 0 calories anymore.

Hope that helps.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I thought it was normal to eat vinegar on fries here too...i do it and live in ohio!

Oh yeah! I put Malt Vinegar on baked fries if I have them....:smile:

...... Must...... Avoid...... Fair Fries.......:indifferent:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    By the way, I ALWAYS use Red Wine Vinegar instead of salad dressing. 2 calories in 1 tbsp, and no artificial crap!
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Vinegar would be great on fries too. Is it Canada that does that a lot? Can't remember but there is a region that this is the norm. Well, that and salt.

When I think vinegar on fries, I think Britain's Fish and Chips.
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options

This is a norm for us Canadians!! LMAO I actually sprinkle vinegar on my steamed veggies... MMMMmmmm very good!! :tongue: