How to help muscle soreness?

Options
Hey all,

I've been slowly but surely becoming more active to go along with my healthy life style. Unfortunatly my muscles are not used to it and the next day they are sore. I listen to my body while I workout to keep myself from getting injured and I found an awesome gym buddy who helps me with the right stance/form.

Is there anything out there for the day after pain? I know rest is a huge help, but is there something else I could do to help my body naturally heal?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The best cure is rest - one of the reasons I tend to alternate workouts and run every second day.

A certain amount of soreness is to be expected (soreness - not acute pain) especially when you're first starting out.

Some of the soreness is just a result of the damage (micro-tears) in muscle tissue caused by the workout ( it's the recovery that actually makes them stronger) and the accompanying inflammation. I know you were asking about natural solutions but an ibuprofen goes a long way to relieving some of the immediate discomfort, you may also want to add foods that have anti-inflammatory properties to your diet (yum....blueberries) If you have one area that's particularly sore you could ice it, if it's overall soreness an ice bath can also help (more of a runners trick , it would be pretty hard to immerse your upper body fully)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen helps a little. Attitude helps more. Be proud of your Doms.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and take ibuprofen the night of my workouts if I am feeling soreness. I also do some form of activity the next day and that helps work the soreness out.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    post workout: take a cold shower or bath then take a hot shower or bath
    - make sure to stretch
    - massage those muscles. if you can't get a massage try using something like a foam roller. i've also let the pressure from the whirlpool jets massage hamstrings and quads
    - make sure to get enough sleep
    - eat a good meal with protein. i like to have a protein smoothie after a tough lifting session.
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a sauna? Heat for 20 minutes right after your workout really helps reduce soreness the next day.

My gym doesnt have a sauna, but does have a hot tub, so I go sit in that after a workout, but for that, I have to shower
    first and get into a swimsuit....sauna is better. Sit on a towel in sauna, and after that, shower. Easier.