Too Much Protein?

Options
I've been exceeding my daily protein goal (98g) by usually 30-40 grams. I am diabetic so I am definitely trying to eat below the daily carbs goal of 359 and keep it in the 130-180 range. Will too much protein have any detrimental effects?

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    No. There are many folks who advocate 1g protein per pound of lean body weight daily. The protein goal on MFP is a guideline/minimum.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Not with that amount, no...plenty of people consume waaay more that each day. I usually hit arond 150g.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can change your % for the macros. You may want to lower carbs and increase protein. Go to goals > change goals > custom.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can easily hit 150-ish most days, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's misleading that it turns red if you go over, but it's just a computer program so hey go figure - the # for protein is actually a minimum goal.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    try going on your goals and customizing them to reflect a higher percentage of protien vs carbs vs fat. When you customize you can change those percentages to whatever you want them to be. Mine is set at 40-30-30 carbs-protien-fat.
  • kedwardspcm
    kedwardspcm Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You cold easily eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound in body weight with very positive effects on the maintenance or growth of lean muscle mass, depending how you workout. However, I would recommend taking a fiber supplement if you are taking in large quantities of protein. This will assist in the digestion
  • RiverTom
    RiverTom Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I posted something about protein intake earlier this week:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538457-a-balanced-view-on-protein-intake

Maybe that'll help?
  • jegg0425
    jegg0425 Posts: 37
    Options
    Due to my 14-15 hour work days, I used to basically "live" off of fast food. Now I've basically switch to protein shakes with water or skim milk for meal replacements when I am on the road for work. I also make my own beef jerky for when I travel.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    It's very very hard to OD on protein. The body uses it for all kinds of things, building muscle, etc. besides just burning it for energy. And the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids (from protein) in order to work (roughly 3 parts fat to one part protein). So if you're trying to lose weight, you SHOULD eat more protein than you would if you're just trying to stay healthy. My doctor told me to try & eat my body weight (measured in lb) in protein grams per day. So I started out eating over 300g per day. Didn't hurt me a bit, and apparently it's working, I've lost almost 70 lb of fat in the past year while maintaining my muscle mass.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I always go over my protein...I wouldn't worry too much about it. Protein keeps you fuller longer so you can lose weight! :-)
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I spoke with a nutritionist about that. I was exceeding by about 30 units every day. I was just making my calories and wasn't sure what to do. She said mfp's numbers for protein are low. She got out her calculator and worked up by ideal protein for my height and weight and I was right on target.....about 185. I was glad to have spoken with someone who has knowledge about that. I think my body feels best with that. I started at 155 and my goal was a mere 5 lbs to reach 150. In four weeks I have lost four pounds but many inches...... 3" in my waist. I had thought I would never be able to be trim again because I'm 60. Lie, lie, lie. I'm on my way, my clothes fit. All the best to you as you continue your journey.