Those dreaded cravings...

Options
This is my fourth solid week of dieting and exercising although I shouldn't say the word diet because it's more of a lifestyle change. For example, I've cut out soda completely and focused on eating more fruits and vegetables instead of just "on-the-go" unhealthy alternatives. Anyways, I lost 16 lbs so far and am only 4 lbs away from my weight starting with a 1 instead of a 2, and I'm really happy with the results, but I've noticed a recent problem.

I have cravings from time to time for sweet, fruity stuff. Unlike a lot of people, I rarely (if at all) crave chocolate but when I do get one of these fruity candy cravings, I go crazy if I don't have anything around. I find myself tempted to eat whatever junk food I can get my hands on which usually means going on a snack run to the nearest gas station. Sometimes this hits me around 10pm and it's all I can do to force myself not to go into my car and drive the 1/4 mile up the road. I'm beside myself and decided today to buy a package of gummy bears. Today, I got this craving and decided to try this strategy out. I allowed myself 5 gummy bears (1/5 of the service size) just to see if that stopped my cravings. Surprisingly, it worked. Now I'm trying to figure out if this is healthy or not. The thing is, I don't want to make too drastic of changes to my body all at once. I don't want to relapse into my old habits. But I'm not sure what's good and what's not in terms of what I should or shouldn't allow myself. I realize this is a lifestyle change and its just as much a psychological game with myself than anything. I just want to "win" over myself, if that makes any sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all that could help me? What have you done to help those cravings? Is it ok to keep "emergency" foods like gummy bears for when I crave that sweet, sugary, gummy fruit candy? I tried to real fruit bars (like fruit roll-ups) but it just doesn't help. Maybe that's part of the psychological game I have to deal with. Any advice, words of encouragement, or alternative suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading this!

Replies

• honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For me, quitting sweets cold turkey did the trick. It took about a week of no sweets whatsoever, and now I don't crave them anymore. Not one little bit. So although it may be hard, try it for a week and you may be surprised at how you won't crave sweets anymore.

BTW, gummy bears were my absolute biggest weakness! The ones in the gold bags. Loved 'em, but don't crave them at all anymore.
  • Lee510
    Lee510 Posts: 46
    Options
    it's all I can do to force myself not to go into my car and drive the 1/4 mile up the road.
    Don't get in the car. Walk fast or slow jog to the store. By the time you get there, you'll be wondering what you were there for any way!:laugh:

I keep bags of baby carrots and Crunch Pack apple slices in the fridge. Crunchy foods make me think I'm eating chips, maybe. Works for me. Kosher dill pickles are a good snack food too. For the times I want something sweet, the Fiber One 90 calorie brownies are excellent!

Good luck on your journey.
  • sbowen002
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster--cold turkey is hard, but it is the way to go. Several years ago, I had a lot of success on the Atkins diet and at first, cutting sugar out was the most difficult thing I had ever encountered. I used to put sweet things in my mouth just to get rid of the craving (but not eat them). After a week or two however, the cravings were gone completely. After several months of dieting, I found that a tablespoon of natural peanut butter cut any residual craving I might have had.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My feeling is that it's ok to have a stash like gummy bears IF you can keep yourself from binging.

I'm a fan of eating whatever I want in moderation though so what works for me may not work for you. In my opinion, 5 gummy bears isn't going to make nor break me so if I needed it to keep my sanity when the cravings hit, I'd just build them into my calories and roll with it.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cold turkey people. Recently I have had some sweet things and I am back to having to get over the cravings. I'm happier when I don't have them.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have had those cravings before..many years ago when I went on a 'diet' and it is so hard
    I went out in the freezing cold to get some chocolate one time

if this craving happens often, then having a stash of gummy bears will only tempt you cause you know they are there

When i crave sweet stuff, i find nibbling on some cheese helps..dunno why...but maybe try the laughing cow light cheese or any other brand of light cheese and see if that helps?

Drink water...and then take a walk or call a friend and talk to them about it...that helps me a lot...by the time your done you will feel better and forget your craving (hopefully)
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works on my cravings is fruity herbal tea. I allow myself a 1/2 spoon of sugar. I think its the comfort aspect, and the time it takes to drink it that does it. After all, those cravings have nothing to do with actual hunger and are all psychological. I've tried fruit and veggies, but they do nothing.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far! It's a big first step!

I think that you being able to satisfy your craving but eating what you want in moderation is great. I do something similar...I love chocolate, so I put it into my calories when I want it. But I eat dark chocolate so it is a little better and it helps (I know it is not a great source) with my iron levels. Sometimes on a Saturday I will open a Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate bar in the morning and nibble all day at that TOM. Because it is so dark you can only eat a little at a time. I don't know if you could think of any fruit snacks that are like that? Something that is slightly healthier than your normal go to, you are only able to eat a little bit of, and will satisfy your craving?

Also, you mentioned you usually start with cravings around 10p? So it's at night, when your body is getting tired. When you are tired, your body craves food (especially sugar or caffeine) too perk it up, even though what you really need at that point is just sleep. If possible you could try simply going to bed earlier, getting more sleep? (Of course this varies depending on work schedule, kid's, a spouse's schedule). Just a suggestion.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with the cold turkey for my self personally but accept that for a lot of people out there it is the way to go.

I have had many, many successful 2 week diets where I have cut all junk food, lost a tonne of weight, and then snapped because I wanted something sweet and delicious or deep fried, and then thrown it all out the window because I failed and couldn't get myself back on the 'straight and narrow'. Now, I am having more success then I have had in 5 years, and its all through moderation. If I have 350 calories left, and I want a donut that is 200 calories, I am going to eat that donut, and I am going to love it! And then tomorrow, I am going to go back to my healthy eating.

If it's a lifestyle change and not a diet, it has to be sustainable. If you're a person who loves sweets, do you think you can sit down and look at the rest of your life without ever having sweets? If you can, more power to you! If you can't, then don't try to, cause it may lead to your eventual failure. If you could eat 5 gummies, your craving was gone, and you felt good about that, that is fantastic and I think it shows that it's a good strategy for you. 5 gummies is not going to hurt your health! :)
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    well they just came out with a new study on chocolate

smaller portions a few times a week will help keep your weight in check :smile:

they do recommend eating the chocolate as a replacement rather than an addition, to your net calories

also dark chocolate is better than milk but you can get 60% dark chocolate which tastes less bitter

i agree that cold turkey is not for everyone

but maybe portion and frequency control will work in satisfying your cravings
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the store at night to satisfy cravings, so I understand.

I have to go to bed by 10. Your body is tired, your insulin production decreases, and you will crave sweet things around that time.

I also agree that it is best to try to eliminate sugar from your diet, and limit fruits.

The more sugary foods you eat, the more you want them.

Now I can have a piece of orange or yellow pepper and think "Man, that is soooo sweet." It's not easy to do, but it may help you.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    For me, quitting sweets cold turkey did the trick. It took about a week of no sweets whatsoever, and now I don't crave them anymore. Not one little bit. So although it may be hard, try it for a week and you may be surprised at how you won't crave sweets anymore.

BTW, gummy bears were my absolute biggest weakness! The ones in the gold bags. Loved 'em, but don't crave them at all anymore.

Hey thanks for that, it is good to know, only a week?! Just this week I'm doing the challenge of no processed sugar for two weeks, another thread in here. No sugar in coffee, no sugar on my weetbix, taste is yuck at first but I'm sure I'll get used to it, and to get rid of that craving FOREVER - that would be a small miracle in itself.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with the cold turkey for my self personally but accept that for a lot of people out there it is the way to go.

I have had many, many successful 2 week diets where I have cut all junk food, lost a tonne of weight, and then snapped because I wanted something sweet and delicious or deep fried, and then thrown it all out the window because I failed and couldn't get myself back on the 'straight and narrow'. Now, I am having more success then I have had in 5 years, and its all through moderation. If I have 350 calories left, and I want a donut that is 200 calories, I am going to eat that donut, and I am going to love it! And then tomorrow, I am going to go back to my healthy eating.

If it's a lifestyle change and not a diet, it has to be sustainable. If you're a person who loves sweets, do you think you can sit down and look at the rest of your life without ever having sweets? If you can, more power to you! If you can't, then don't try to, cause it may lead to your eventual failure. If you could eat 5 gummies, your craving was gone, and you felt good about that, that is fantastic and I think it shows that it's a good strategy for you. 5 gummies is not going to hurt your health! :)

hey thanks for that, yep I want to get rid of the craving because it's like a vicious cycle, once I eat that cake or chocolate, I only want more, but I certainly won't give it up forever. I don't believe in the good food/bad food concept. I thiink all foods are ok if I include them into my daily calories and don't go over those calories. I have my cheat meal once a week and that is when I can have my cake and enjoy every single delicious bite :)
  • Rachel812011
    Rachel812011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it's all I can do to force myself not to go into my car and drive the 1/4 mile up the road.
    Don't get in the car. Walk fast or slow jog to the store. By the time you get there, you'll be wondering what you were there for any way!:laugh:

I keep bags of baby carrots and Crunch Pack apple slices in the fridge. Crunchy foods make me think I'm eating chips, maybe. Works for me. Kosher dill pickles are a good snack food too. For the times I want something sweet, the Fiber One 90 calorie brownies are excellent!

Good luck on your journey.
  • Rachel812011
    Rachel812011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love those Fiber One 90 Calorie Brownies!!
  • Myweightlossdiary
    Myweightlossdiary Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wow, I cannot believe all the replies. Thank you all so much for sharing your story and sharing advice. I definitely think that cold turkey is probably not something I personally can do and ironically, since I've had the stash of gummy bears in the house, I haven't really had much of a temptation to go eat them. If I do, I have a great support (my fiance') who helps keep me in check by giving me words of encouragement when I fall for a weakness. The key is to recognize my weakness before I am tempted to binge.

I definitely think most of what I feel can be changed if I change my outlook on things, but I'm not so sure I am able (or want to) say that sweet are yucky yet!

It sounds like that everyone has a different way of doing things based on their body and what works for them. It's encouraging to know that perhaps the gummy bears I've been eating isn't really that big of deal after all. In fact, it's about 40 calories and 4 grams of carbs. I hope I can get to the point where I won't crave this stuff, but after reading everyone's responses, I really don't want to deprive myself of something that I really want really bad to the point where I relapse into my old habits. If I give myself what I want, in moderation, I feel like I'm sort of "tricking" myself, if that makes any sense.

I appreciate all your support! It's nice to know that this website has caring people who really do want to help out a fellow stranger. Weight loss is hard as it is, we all need someone we can vent to, lean on, and ask questions without worrying about being judged.

Thanks again!