sugar intake

Options
My sugar intake goal for the day is 28 gm's. I had a naked smoothie that is suppose to be "natural" but it has 52 gm's of sugar. how does one stay under that amount since sugar is in everything?

Replies

• lushunn32
    lushunn32 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm trying to find out the same thing. So would love to hear what other have to say
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Salt and sugar addict here... didn't really think so till MFP. <sigh>
  • coronamommy
    coronamommy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Uh you don't.

If it's sugar from like fruit , it's not as bad as white processed sugar found in soda, juice, etc. Plus I think MFP sugar defaults are a bit low.. so you can adjust them if you would like.

I personally don't worry about going over my macro's much.. and worry more about my calories.
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The problem with the sugar that is tracked is that it does not differentiate between natural sugars and refined sugars. I'm just trying to watch refined sugars and not worrying about natural sugars going over. I tend to eat bananas and seedless grapes that have a lot of natural sugars in them. Hoping my body knows the difference.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Natural sugars from fruits, vegetables and some dairy(have to check labels) is fine. You want to watch the added sugars.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't drink fruit juice for the reasons you;ve stated. It's basically sugar water. A 12 ounce can of coca cola has 39g of, look at the label of what you just drank to see how it compares. Probably pretty close.

Contrary to popular belief, sugar from an apple is primarily sucrose, which is table sugar. An apple at least has fiber when you eat it from the skin.

Protein, Fat and green veggies are low in sugar.
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....its very confusing at times. :smile:
  • SummerAlaina
    SummerAlaina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read a few different articles on sugar recently. Added sugar/processed sugars are very bad for and even cause obesity. What I've read suggests that you can disregard the sugars you are consuming from fruit and milk products since those occur naturally. Although you don't want to go crazy on the fruit either, it's suggested 2-4 servings per day. All other sugar from processed foods is what you really want to look out for. It is said that the average American is consuming 100g per day of sugar and women should be around 24 as men should be 30 something. Fifty percent of those 100g are from sugary drinks, this includes Gatorade and fruit juice as well. Also most foods high in sugar are also high in calories, when you cut out added sugar it becomes much easier to stay within you calorie restraints.

It's a shame that MFP doesn't differentiate between natural and processed sugars, but it is easy enough for you to figure out on your own. I just look at my food page and subtract the sugar I gained from fruit and milk from my total for the day.

I love soda, but one can of coke has more grams of sugar than I am alloted for the day. I have decided to ween myself off of soda and sugary beverages, I'd rather lose weight than have soda. Any way if you google "daily sugar allowance" without the quotations you'll be lead to a number of articles that are helpful.