Yoga anyone?

Options
I'm new to MFP so excuse me if this is a topic that's been debated before...

There's a lot of posts about cardio and strength training, which I like a good healthy mix of, but I haven't seen much in the way of thoughts on yoga. I'm on a yoga kick right now, I am pretty awful at it, but slowly, slowly, getting the hang of it, or what it's supposed to look like! :)

I'm just wondering how the MPF commmunity feels about yoga, who practices, what you've learned, what type of routine you have and how it mixes with other workouts, and the results you've seen. If you don't practice, why not, what do you do instead for exercise?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    There's a yoga group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

I practice 5-6x a week. I usually do Iyengar yoga. I also bike and walk quite a bit.

As far as weight loss goes, yoga will not help much in losing weight the same way an aerobics class will, as it doesn't burn that many calories. Many people debate this for vinyasa type practices or heated ones (heart rate monitors do not accurately read calorie burn in a hot environment - if heat helped you burn calories, the south wouldn't have the weight problem it does) - but that is another thread. I think yoga makes you more aware of your body and will help you lose weight because you are more likely to notice when you've had enough. This takes time. Serious yogis are not necessarily thin - however, that is true of other activities as well - I frequently go on 40+ mile bike rides, and not everyone that does that is thin either.

Is that what you are looking for?
  • annetterene
    Options
    LOVE yoga--even though I am pretty terrible at it. I find it extremely beneficial for my body, mind & soul.
  • _jessers
    _jessers Posts: 7
    Options
    There's a yoga group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

I practice 5-6x a week. I usually do Iyengar yoga. I also bike and walk quite a bit.

As far as weight loss goes, yoga will not help much in losing weight the same way an aerobics class will, as it doesn't burn that many calories. Many people debate this for vinyasa type practices or heated ones (heart rate monitors do not accurately read calorie burn in a hot environment - if heat helped you burn calories, the south wouldn't have the weight problem it does) - but that is another thread. I think yoga makes you more aware of your body and will help you lose weight because you are more likely to notice when you've had enough. This takes time. Serious yogis are not necessarily thin - however, that is true of other activities as well - I frequently go on 40+ mile bike rides, and not everyone that does that is thin either.

Is that what you are looking for?

Yep! I hadn't thought of yoga helping to lose weight because of being more aware about your body, very good point.
  • _jessers
    _jessers Posts: 7
    Options
    LOVE yoga--even though I am pretty terrible at it. I find it extremely beneficial for my body, mind & soul.

Haha, I'm pretty awful at it myself, makes me glad I'm not the only one!! :) I'm trying to do it in the mornings before work, hoping that it'll prevent some of the stress of the workday!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i went to my first yoga class this past weekend, and didn't like it alone, but I do pitaiyo, which is offered at my gym, it's a blend of pilates, tai chi, yoga, & qi gong breathing -- it's amazing. it's a good workout - great for stretching, and clears my head!
    *though the classes don't fit in well with my weird work schedule, I like to go once a week on the weekends!! :)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much solely Ashtanga yoga at the moment and it is working for me alongside being mindful about what I eat. I think it does have a higher calorie burn than some other forms - there are reasons it's known as sweaty yoga!

I do walk nearly every day as well which probably contributes to keeping my weight in check as well.

I am considering trying to get back to the gym 1 -2 x per week, but yoga fits more neatly into my schedule at the moment and I get torn on whether I really need to or not.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i do a hatha class at least once a week.

i find it fits in very well with my strength training and i will always take a class on one of the days i'm not lifting since it helps reduce soreness and increase flexibility.

there will be different opinions on whether or not it develops strength or not and those opinions will depend on what your starting strength levels are. for instance, for someone who can already do 100 pushups, chattarangas arent going to be a big deal, but for someone who can't they are are a way to develop strength.
  • jennifer0626
    jennifer0626 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do yoga as part of my weekly workouts. I also do pilates. I find that if I switch up my workouts, I am getting the appropriate work on each of my trouble spots. Yoga has helped my posture immensely as well as strengthening my legs, core, etc. I mostly do Vinyasa yoga.

Pilates is helping my core strength as well as arms, hips and legs. I can do chatarangas better now without flopping down because I have been working hard at planks in pilates. My legs are stronger from both pilates and yoga so I can do more riding on the bike without tiring myself out.

Now I am adding in jogging/running which I hope to compliment what I am currently doing with more cardio.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I love me some yoga!! I predominately do hot yoga, but man it is such a good addition to my work out routine. I'm a runner, and I do a lot of heavy weight lifting, so adding in my weekly hot yoga class is such a great way to stretch and challenge my muscles in a different way. Since I began practicing hot yoga, I've noticed my breath control while running is a million times better.

My posture has improved as well, and I feel it the day after a hot yoga class in different spots than I do when I'm running or lifting. At my gym all the trainers recommend at least one yoga class a week to all their clients, I think it's a really great addition to a well rounded fitness regime. I also know many people who prefer doing yoga and pilates as their primary forms of exercise (with a bit of cardiovascular exercise thrown in there) and I think it's great for those who want to challenge themselves but aren't looking to get into heavy weight lifting. Love it!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a very important part of my Warrior Training. I do the p90x yoga once a week, every Thursday, as part of my Warrior Dash training program. It has helped immensely with my balance and upper body strength. It allows me to perform better in my Bootcamp classes as well. I wore a hrm once, and now I can log it when I do it. The burn on the hrm isn't high compared to the difficulty level, but it doesn't have to be. It's a foundational part of my workout, making the other, crazy burning workouts possible.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I :heart: yoga! Didn't know there was a group for it so going to scope it out.
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing yoga for 10 years now and LOVE IT! I am always looking for new ways to challenge my body. I run 5 days a week and love how yoga centers my body (spine and hips). If I miss a session, I am paying for it a week later. It is the one thing that has helped me keep my leg muscle flexible and helps the circulation. Not to mention the peaceful mind on those stressful weeks! :smile:
  • Blondeone10
    Options
    I subcribe to Health and Prevention magazine online and have found some wonderful yoga workouts! I get board easily so I like to change things up. I started a binder where I place the magazine pages or printouts based on area of the body. I then select pages of what I want to work on. The yoga has helped my breathing, posture, and strengthening my back.
    I added Zumba for my cardio and then alternate weight lifting. I am getting back into working out after a stressful year with work!
  • KarenC88
    KarenC88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would say if you have somewhere local that do yoga classes, give it a try. The good instructors are very helpful in making sure you are putting your body in the correct form....something you don't get when trying a video. If you are looking for something to give you a good stretch and help center you mind, it's something to try. I found when I was doing it regularly, I felt better and my concentration was good....I have not gotten back to a regular practice, but try to do my a.m./p.m. yoga vidoe when I get a chance (which is sad to say not often at the moment)....