Strength Training Ideas

Options
I want to incorporate strength training into my exercise routine 3 days a week and drop my cardio down to 2 days a week. Do yo have recommendations that don't include going to a gym? Videos you love? Please help me with ideas. :happy:

Replies

• Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have toning bands and I just googled strength training with them. i am absolute beginner tho so haven't even begun.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Check out www.gainfitness.com. (I've been recommending it to everyone lately!) It's a free site, also available on your iphone, and you select your level, area(s) of focus, what equipment you have available (if you don't have anything it'll bring up bodyweight exercises) and it'll develop a customized workout for you. Sign up for the site and you can save them and customize them further - I love their workouts!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are a great, and inexpensive, place to start with strength training. They frequently can be bought in a set with different levels of resistance and a DVD with how to use them, or a workout.
    I find water bottles can also make excellent starter weights. The 1 gallon jugs even have handles! You can add or remove water to adjust the weight. Cans of soup or veggies also work well as weights.
    Also, body weight training can do wonders! Google it!
  • twogirlsmama
    twogirlsmama Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I have some weights, a stability ball and a stepper at my disposal in my home. I'm even considering asking for help from my husband, which never happens. :blushing: We tend to disagree on these things, he likes me the way I am and I DON'T!
  • hdg1822
    hdg1822 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are amazing and you can get them in different levels are you increase your strength. You can also buy weights that you can strap on to your wrists and ankles to walk around in to add extra weight/resistance as you do about your daily chores, etc. I know that target has these kinds of weights. The water bottle idea is a great one if you don't have weights at home. You can also use canned food for weights. Push-ups and planking are great ways to build muscles as well. Exercises balls and kettle bells are also great workouts that you can do at home.

I found this article yesterday. It tells about the worst machines at the gym and ways to get better results without the machines so I think this is a perfect article for you! http://health.yahoo.net/articles/fitness/photos/10-exercise-machines-avoid#0

A side topic for you cardio since you don't want to go the gym and have kids - jumping rope is a great cardio workout and works out your whole body.

Hope some of this info helps!
  • torreviejo
    torreviejo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try Kelly Coffey Meyers 30 Minutes to Fitness Strength Training DVD . You will need hand weights and that is all.