fighting with the body bugg (calorie counter thingie)

So, I borrowed my friends body bugg, got it all set up for myself and my stats, and I'm in total disagreement of how many calories it says I'm burning. I just got done with the hardest spin class of my life, hour long, all jumps and tons of resistance, it was just ridiculous, and brutal, and it said I burned like 280 calories, I'm sorry but that just can not be right, I was killing myself in this class for an entire hour! Has any one else had this problem? I feel like mfp usually puts stuff a little high so I wanted a more accurate reading, but I'm about to send this thing packing!

Replies

• Bump
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    I kind of feel the same. Not about the cardio though. We do tend to overestimate how much we burn during a session by quite a bit, but when I got my bodymedia it was saying I was burning 1700-1800. 1900 on cardio days. That just doesn't make sense to me because I've been eating 2000+ calories in combination with strength training and haven't been really gaining. I was hoping it would come in handy so I could make sure I kept track and kept a decent surplus going as well as when I try cutting later...
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    The Body Bugg relies, in part, on motion to calculate your burn. Since you wear it on your arm and your spin class works mainly your legs, it is likely to give you an inaccurate reading.
  • Ah, that makes me feel a bit better, definitly makes sence since I'm not in motion with my upper body. Are all calorie counters like that? Its unlikely that I would spend alot of money on something like that (borrowed the body bugg) but I would really like a somewhat accurate count of what I'm burning. I've only been wearing the bugg when I work out, not all day, so I'm not sure what the total day looks like. I don't really like the software, it's a pita to track your food on there
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    A HRM would be better, one with a chest strap.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    A HRM would be better, one with a chest strap.

I agree with this. Once I got my HRM, I knew for sure that MFP overestimated calorie burns. So my HRM shows a lower number than MFP, but at least I know it's accurate.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,546 Member
    I have a body fit media and had the same thing yesterday. My HRM registered my 90 minute workout (tabata drills, abs/stretching and 45 minute spin) as 706 calories burned. We did a jumping interval ride and I was sucking wind. My BFM said I only burned 464 calories. Several of my friends mentioned the leg motion thing. Today playing golf the BFM was pretty spot on but that uses lots of arm action.
  • I use BodyMedia fit. It calculates by heat generated in your body. As well as a bunch of other things.

I'm just curious, when you put on the BB the first time, was it that day that it took the low numbers for your spinning class? Some of the body monitors need to regulate for a couple of days to a new body. I'd wear it for at least a week to test and be sure it's updating properly. There is enough movement in a body during spin to compensate for not 'stepping'.

in regards to the comment on weight training. you CANNOT calculate those calories as cardio and should not add to your food tracker unless you are trying to BUILD and not lose.
  • I've just been wearing while I work out, for a week now. I've done 3 spin classes while wearing it and they all registered equally lame. Lol
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,546 Member
    I use BodyMedia fit. It calculates by heat generated in your body. As well as a bunch of other things.

I'm just curious, when you put on the BB the first time, was it that day that it took the low numbers for your spinning class? Some of the body monitors need to regulate for a couple of days to a new body. I'd wear it for at least a week to test and be sure it's updating properly. There is enough movement in a body during spin to compensate for not 'stepping'.

in regards to the comment on weight training. you CANNOT calculate those calories as cardio and should not add to your food tracker unless you are trying to BUILD and not lose.

I've not even had it a full week yet and have used it for 2 spin classes. I'll compare again tomorrow and may adjust where I have it on my arm.

I"m not sure why you would say not to count strength training calories in your food diary. I burn quite a bit when I do strength training and the whole idea is to fuel your body which is the main reason I got the BFM in the first place-to see how many calories I truly expend in an entire day.