TERRIFIED to increase my calories....

Options
13»

Replies

• spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Don't be afraid to change your calories. Food is not something be afraid of! This is especially true when you're watching what you're eating and adjusting in a way that you control. It is too easy for us to have an unhealthy relationship with food where it becomes the enemy.

It's such a change in mindset, but once you do it you'll be so much happier for it. Your body needs energy when you exercise, but not just any food. It needs nutritious food - proteins and whole grains, fruits and veggies.

Like others have said, don't be surprised if you experience a small gain in the first week. Not knowing what you were eating before, you might see this or you might not. When I went to a higher calorie intake I lost about .2 pounds the first week then had a 4 lb drop the second. Now I average 2.2 lbs.

The very worst that can happen is that after 2-4 weeks you gain and never see a loss. This might sound terrible, but it's not. What it'll mean is that you understand your body's limits and you now know. But don't let the first week or even the first two weeks be the deciding factor. And don't be afraid! You are in control of you!

Thank you for such a thoughtful answer.

I am trying to have a better relationship with food. I've always been an "eat whatever you want, as much as you want and never gain a pound" girl! THEN I BECAME 40!!!!!!
  • NicoletheFaye
    NicoletheFaye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really needed to read this thread today. Thank you everyone for sharing! I think I'll go in and change my calorie goal now. : )
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am scared too, but considering it. I may not even need to up them as I already eat about 1600 or so a day, but I am 5'10" so that might not be that much I guess. I just have to calculate the BMR and TDEE like everyone says.

But do you guys know, is this higher calorie strategy just for people who exercise a ton, or for everyone, even people with desk jobs that just do moderate exercise 3x a week?

This approach works for everyone. Your TDEE is what is effected by your exercise. From your TDEE, you then create a deficit.
    is there a formula which is recommended for upping calories that works better??? Ie. up protein and not carbs to make up the increase ect or is is just 'any' calorie?

You can up it with either.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but here's what my journey has looked like. Maybe it will make you feel better...

For 7 months I ate 1200 - 1300 calories a day - Massive weight loss.

Adjusted up to1600 - 1800 a day for 3 weeks - was still loosing ~2 lbs a week

Adjusted up to 2000 - 2200 a day for a month - still loosing ~2 lbs a week

Adjusted up to 2300 - 2500 a day for a month - loosing 1 lbs a week after a 2 week "stall"

Adjusted up to 2500 - 2700 a day for the last three weeks - still loosing about 1 lb a week after a 2 1/2 week "stall"

Don't be afraid of the calories. Adjust up a little, give it a couple weeks and see what happens. I "gained" 1 - 2 lbs the first week of each adjustment, but them started blasting through it.

Eat more to lose more, awesome concept. I can now, because of my LBM and exercise levels, eat as much or more than I used to if I wanted.

-M

That's really helpful - I haven't seen people's own "stats" like this and it really does help. When people say eat more, I know one has to trust them, but seeing this kind of quantified helps a lot. Thank you for sharing :)

You're more than welcome! If my information helps anyone at all it's worth sharing.

- M
  • Kylieikerd
    Options
    Finally caved and went from 1200 to 1300. If it goes well I might consider going up another 50-100.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Here is what happens when you eat more and lift heavy. The before picture is what happens when you don't eat a lot and dont' do heavy lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?error_user_id=252210&error_username=psulemon&hl=skinny+fat
  • Stacy121
    Stacy121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been reading so much about adding calories so I'm giving it a try as well. Going from 1200 calories a day to 1400 calories a day. Wish me luck and good luck to all of you that are trying it too!
  • subeesh77
    subeesh77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The website recommended me about 1800 cal per day to loose around 1 lb every 2 weeks. When it was calculating it also took into account that I workout 5 days a week. If it is already been calculated into my BMR then I am a bit confused with some posts saying that we to need to eat our exercise calories back. How will i be able to create a calorie deficit ?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    is there a formula which is recommended for upping calories that works better??? Ie. up protein and not carbs to make up the increase ect or is is just 'any' calorie?

[/quote]

am not sure if i believe that - adding 300 cals of macdonalds is not going to happen and will make me feel worse, i'd rather just not eat them if that was the case - thats why im wondering whether its better to say, add an egg, or a piece of bread or what generally is the rule? (if there is one??)

Any thoguhts?
  • psuLemon
    Options

am not sure if i believe that - adding 300 cals of macdonalds is not going to happen and will make me feel worse, i'd rather just not eat them if that was the case - thats why im wondering whether its better to say, add an egg, or a piece of bread or what generally is the rule? (if there is one??)

Any thoguhts?
    [/quote]

I was referring to the carbs or protein. But you can eat protein bars, eggs, chicken, etc... try to make it healthy.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I went from 1200-1460 and it went great. Now I have upped again to 1700, but still haven't gotten to that amount, I will though. Its scary because it goes against everything I've ever thought. But I keep reading how important it is so I'm giving it a go.
    Good Luck
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've been steadily increasing mine since January. I'm up to 2200-2300/day now. Not really losing any more but really pleased with the results I'm getting as far as muscle gain and fat loss!