*Low Carbers* Give me some grocery list items

Options
Im going grocery shopping tonight and Im getting tired of eating the same things- eggs, cheese, bacon, chicken, basic fruits, basic veggies, almonds.. So what are some of your fave items to add some bang to your meals? Im reading alot about cocunut oil (what do u put it in?) and unsalted butter (what is that?) also any interesting receipes you have up your sleeve would really help me out :-)

thanks in advance!! B.

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Crab
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Tuna
    Mushrooms
    Beef Jerky
    Dill Pickles
    Pork Rinds
    Tea - herbal
    Shirtaki noodles
    Coffee
    Olives
    Almond Flour
    Flax Seed
    Veg - lettuce, celery, kale (kale chips), onions, squash
    tons of spices
    and.... BACON!

Portabello pizzas are my fav. I am a big fan of food swaps(pasta / spaghetti squash).
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Start looking through receipes on this site and tailor your list to what you want to eat:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
  • bonthomas85
    Options
    bump i need help with this too!!!! :)
  • sbfreak17
    sbfreak17 Posts: 42
    Options
    bump
  • adubsj
    adubsj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about picking up some portobellos tonight and making my version of a pizza. Going to take the stems off and scoop out the inside. Then put in a smidge of pizza sauce and a smidge of mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is melty, delicious!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    bump me too!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Tuna, mackerel, salmon, and sardine (fresh or from a can) preferably in water, not in oil and then mixed with some low fat mayonaise. (only 15 calories a spoon, less than 1g fat) Put it on some melba toast or in a salad.

That's apart from all the things you already mentioend of course!

Oh and 0% fat milk and yoghurt, too. Great to fill up with.
  • hernandezsophia
    Options
    Quiche!!! You can change up alot of veggies and protien meats with that. Tuna salad, Burger wraps, chicken soup made from scratch using Low Sodium Chicken Stock....hmm....
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Seafood! Canned tuna, salmon, crab and baby shrimp aren't too expensive!
    Mayo
    Olive oil
    avocado
    berries
    quinoa (I use it instead of brown rice, higher protein)
    Dark chocolate
    dreamfields (low carb) pasta
    Spaghetti squash
    almond butter

That's about all I can remember right now...
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about picking up some portobellos tonight and making my version of a pizza. Going to take the stems off and scoop out the inside. Then put in a smidge of pizza sauce and a smidge of mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is melty, delicious!

I just made these last night. They are one of my favs!
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I've done this before! Only tip is that mine came out watery, so you might want to crisp up the portabellos in the oven before adding toppings. I was inpatient :P
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Okay, mouth watering here on the portabello pizzas!! I am going to have to try it. Recipe? Anyone?

I am not the best cook...but I can follow a recipe like a pro. LOL :bigsmile:
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Lovin the portabello pizza idea!!!!!!!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Tuna, mackerel, salmon, and sardine (fresh or from a can) preferably in water, not in oil and then mixed with some low fat mayonaise. (only 15 calories a spoon, less than 1g fat) Put it on some melba toast or in a salad.

That's apart from all the things you already mentioend of course!

Oh and 0% fat milk and yoghurt, too. Great to fill up with.

If looking at it from a low carb perspective go full fat mayonaise and stay away from milk and switch to heavy cream. Any yogurt should also be full fat and preferrably greek to keep the carbs down.
  • drussell5557
    Options
    Get some part-skim ricotta cheese; Start with 1/2 c. and mix in 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 single serving packet of Equal, and a dash of espresso powder. Mix well. Makes 2 servings, 130 calories, 7.5 g. protein, 7 g. fat each. Great dessert!! (from The South Beach Diet)
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Salmon
    Brussel sprouts
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I love Jennie- O turkey breakfast sausage. 90 calories for 2 and no carbs. Great for breakfast with eggs or egg whites. I add spinach and mushrooms to my eggs.