Has anyone ever tryed jenny craig or Nutriststem?

Options
I was looking into the 2 of them, wondering how the food is. If you have ever tryed them could you tell me your expierence please. Thanks so much..

Replies

• merrylea
    merrylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Nutrisystem: the food is gross! It is filled with sodium as well, I did not like it. I have no experience with Jenny Craig.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, and honestly I wouldn't. I haven't heard great things about the food for either of them. Also, those diets are only showing you how to reach a weight loss goal by eating their food. They are not teaching you how to eat properly on your own which is what MFP will do. People who go off Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem are left with their original eating habits which will more likely cause them to put the weight right back on again.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
  • djlindstrom
    Options
    I tried Jenny a while ago. Did alright at first, but after a while, all the food started to taste like cardboard... so I stopped.
  • youngbag
    youngbag Posts: 1
    Options
    I am using the Shaklee Cinch plan along with my new workout plan. Only been a couple of days. The shakes and bars are great.
    I know a few people who have sued this plan and loved it and continue to keep the weight off. Just another idea to throw into your search.
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I read Jen Lancaster's Such a Pretty Fat (HILARIOUS book by the way) and she tried Jenny Craig. She had some luck with it, but her experience led me to think that it wasn't a great program. I am doing Weight Watchers though, and I love it! I use MFP to track calories as well, because at some day I would like to be able to focus on just calories. But I love WW.
  • Dcjodie
    Dcjodie Posts: 7
    Options
    I tried Jenny about 2 years ago and had some mild success. It was expensive since you have to buy their products (about $80-100 a week) and then fresh produce, dairy etc.

The food was not terrible but I found that if I strayed even the tiniest bit--salad dressing, croutons etc--I gained weight. You will want to add salt to most of their meals which is a BIG NO NO. Even the slightest modification resulted in weight gain.

I did however like meeting with a set counselor each week. It helped with the accountability and she really got to know me.
    Hope this helps.
  • rukobaby
    rukobaby Posts: 33
    Options
    Never used Jenny, but i gained weight with nutrisystem and the food is horrible!
  • tngfordisney
    Options
    I have to agree with most. I tried nutrisystems and you will lose some because the food is pretty bad.
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    I have been on every diet ever invented. Yes, I did Nutri-Systems and Jenny Craig. They're both expensive and while Jenny's had better food, at the end of the day you're just paying a lot of money ($100 per week) to do something that is only a stepping stone to your goal weight. Why waste that kind of money when you can go to the store, spend less, eat healthier and learn a brand new lifestyle from the very beginning?

MFP is awesome. If you log in everything you eat and do some sort of exercise 5 to 6 times a week (I know it sounds like a lot but even 30 minutes a day is great), you will succeed. Please feel free to add me as a friend, if you wish, and good luck on this journey. It will be a rewarding one!!!!
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about the WW Program. I am currently using it and have lost 21.8 lbs in 7 weeks by simply curtailing my eating (portions) and incorporating healthier choices in my meals and snacks which is what they promote at WW. No special foods to buy; it is all about foods that I like and enjoy (just not as much of them). And I love using MFP to track my intake and then convert it into "points" for my WW goals. I'm well on my way to my next 20 lbs loss.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my hubby did nutrisystem. the food was nasty! He lost about 15 pounds but when the food ran out he gained about 30.
  • srhula
    srhula Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did Jenny Craig and the food was good but it was expensive. You have to buy their food and then spend another additional 40 dollars or more at the grocery store for the other food. It didn't teach me to eat correctly though. I recommend Weight Watchers.
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did NutriSystem for four months. I honestly didn't think the food was all that bad. And I lost about 20 pounds doing it. The thing that I really needed was portion control and prepackaged meals did that for me. I could eat a whole prepackaged meal and know that I didn't eat too much.

I think NutriSystem and Jenny Craig are alike in that I still had to provide fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as dairy. The four months that I did the program really helped me get used to buying/preparing my own fresh produce. But really, the portion control was invaluable to me. I'm single and live alone...it was nothing for me to make a pizza and eat the whole thing. I'm not sure why I had such an issue with wrapping up leftovers and putting them in the fridge!

Now my diet consists of veggies nuked in the microwave and fish or chicken cooked on my George Foreman grill.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I spent most of last year on Nutrisystems. Jan 2011 start weight 171 Sept 2011 end weight 136.5 Minus 34.5 lbs

The cost wasn't too bad. But they do need to stress more that, you still need to purchase fruits and veggies, dairys, & proteins to add to their program. There is no eating back your exercise calories over there. And if your having your 1200 calories and do 30 mins worth of exercsing a day, that puts you waaay low on your net intake.

Everyone has there own tastes, and most of the food was ok. Some of it was like "Ceasars for Humans". I mean dog food. Just some of the entrees.

The draw back is.... Yes you lose weight. But........ you do go into a starvation mode. They suggest 1200 calories no matter how much exercising you do. And once you begin to add in a few hundred calories a day to maintain.... You start to gain your weight back. Well thats what happened to me. When I reached goal. I was pretty small for me. But I felt pretty weak. Like my muscles had deteriorated. (even thou I did eliptical, walking, & some weights regularly) And I did notice. On some weeks when I ate a extra egg, or extra protein, thats when I had a nice loss for the week. Like it was odd to me. When I added those things over what they suggested, I actually lost, and didn't gain.

How it helped me was... getting into the habit of logging foods. Getting support from members, and learning how to eat without guilt. Using measuring spoons, and getting in touch with veggies and fruits for snacks. Getting into a routine with my eating habits. It is usefull, but in the long run, I'm not so sure it did my metabolism any favors. I wish my body didn't become accustomed to that few of calories per day.

Even thou it worked, and I lost weight, I want to say that eating that few of calories did mess up my metabolism.
  • KCSPEARS
    KCSPEARS Posts: 123
    Options
    Thank you all for all the comments. There were some things I would have never thought of... Alot of good points!! Thanks again!!
  • smbrooks404
    smbrooks404 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried Jenny about 2 years ago and had some mild success. It was expensive since you have to buy their products (about $80-100 a week) and then fresh produce, dairy etc.

The food was not terrible but I found that if I strayed even the tiniest bit--salad dressing, croutons etc--I gained weight. You will want to add salt to most of their meals which is a BIG NO NO. Even the slightest modification resulted in weight gain.

I did however like meeting with a set counselor each week. It helped with the accountability and she really got to know me.
    Hope this helps.

I appreciate this comment because it is what I am experiencing now. I started Jenny a few weeks ago. The first week I lost, but then in week two I gained weight back. The reason, I think, is because I did deviate somewhat from the very strict plan when I had social events. Even though I tried to eat what they told me (i.e. salad and bring Jenny dressing, etc.) I guess that one glass of wine or one piece of cheese at the buffet just sent me over! lol

I just signed up for a month to give myself somewhat of a jump-start/plan because I just have not been eating right over the last year (a lot of life stresses) but it is very expensive, the food is decent but very processed and it actually upset my stomach for the first week!

If you have any food sensitivities definitely research this before joining because there are a lot of people out there who cannot eat the food due to the ingredients they use.

I also did Nutrisystem about 6 years ago, lost about 15lbs. It worked while I ate the VERY BAD food but I gained weight back almost immediately afterwards. I cannot stomach their food anymore....it all tastes the same.
  • ajlocke
    Options
    I loved your answer. I would love to friend you so I could get more tips.
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did Jenny Craig years ago and it helped me to lose about 12 pounds in a couple of months. I really got tired of the food and I didnt like my coach. I always felt like I didnt have enough food. I eventually gained the weight back however I didnt finish the program as it got expensive buying food that I didnt enjoy.
    It probably works for some people as each of us are so different. Recently I have been doing the low carb thing. I love it and it works for me. I love eggs, veggies, meat, etc so I am always feeling satisfied.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is my 2 cents on all of those lose weight, food sent to you programs. You might lose the weight, then what? You start eating your own food again and more than likely you will gain it all back, possibly more. You have to learn how to eat healthy, know when to stop eating and start an exercise routine. That is something you can only do.