Backpackers/Hikers......

Options
Well now that spring is coming to life i am debating all those things that I can do to help shrink me down. It has been many years since I threw a pack on my back for fun. Yes I wore a pack in the service, but I don't count that as fun for more reasons beyond it being my job. I don't know anyone that would wear a 80-100 lb pack with no hip strap and consider it "Fun".

Anyway! Now that I am getting into better shape I am looking into some new equipment. I still have some equipment from way back (Ala 1996), but it is no longer serviceable for long treks.

So for those of you that day hike or trek, what is your favorite equipment and what do you like about it?? In the next few months I will be looking for:

Boots
Pack (3-4 days)
sleping bag and pad
Inner-mid-outer layers
I would love to stay "Ultralight", but reasonably can't. I have a baby on the way so I can't go crazy with the money.

Thanks.

Replies

• Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    Hiking poles. Love them, they keep me from killing myself! LOL

also, love my Garmin Forerunner GPS. I hope to get the HRM for it soon.

Vaude makes great backpacks. Very lightweight.

I also am going to be picking up a good UV protection hat sometime soon.

Enjoy! I love hiking!!
  • Schmiegelette
    Schmiegelette Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this, and as you stated you don't have tons of extra money... but for day hikes I LOVE my hydration pack. It's got enough room for a few extras, ie camera & diapers. And, my kids picked up how to drink out of it pretty quick, shortly after 18 months I think is when we started using it.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Lots of love: I totally forgot about the sticks. I guess I didn't use them much as a kid since one of the leaders said they were best for the snakes. Didn't feel the need at the time. Now I suppose they would be rather handy.

Schmiegelette: 18 months? Wow, didn't expect that. Might have to give that a try once my wife heals up. Used to live away from family in Iowa and didn't get out much after the first child. We live closer now, so we should probably try to get out more. That would be much healthier at least!!
    Thanks
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I second to use the hydration pack for the day trip. For longer trips, I have a water filter so I don't need to care so much water with me.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I guess i need to see if I can find my old one. I had a Camel back Diablo at one point. Lumbar type with a over the shoulder hose. Wow, I have no idea where that would be.