Need advice on strength training please???

Options
I am a total newbie at lifting weights.
A friend of mine dropped off one 15 lb dumbell ( sp?) and said i could have it. ( yaaay!:bigsmile: )
So i look at it with utter delight like a little puppy with a new toy and i don't have a clue how to properly use it!
( Other than like a hammer.)

I found i could lift it 5 times and then i couldn't lift it anymore.
i do cardio 6 days a week but my upper body has way too much fat to lose and i dont want to lose muscle as well.
so, i need advice on how to get my arms and upper body to get toned and build lean muscle!

Thank to all who reply. If i sound lame to you...feel free to laugh..i know i did when my friend handed it to me and i almost dropped it! Ive never lifted a dumbell before!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women is an excellent book! It explains all the exercises really well and seems pretty easy to follow. I haven't started the program yet, but a lot of people here have had great success with it!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women is an excellent book! It explains all the exercises really well and seems pretty easy to follow. I haven't started the program yet, but a lot of people here have had great success with it!

This! I started this a few weeks ago
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    things you can do with that 15 lb DB until it gets too light

dumbbell swings (like you would a kettlbelle)
    upright row
    1 arm raised squats
    lunges
    shoulder press
    pullovers
    weighted crunches
    bicep curls
    pushups with 1 arm row (so with this you do a push up, then when your arms are extended, you use 1 arm to row the weight)
    woodchops
    turkish get ups
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options

upright row
    1 arm raised squats
    lunges
    shoulder press
    pullovers
    weighted crunches
    bicep curls
    pushups with 1 arm row (so with this you do a push up, then when your arms are extended, you use 1 arm to row the weight)
    woodchops
    turkish get ups

If you are wondering how to do these exercise you can probably find them on you tube.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! i will look up that book and thanks for the list of exercises. I will look those up on Youtube.

perfect!!

:D
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    bump!
    im also very interested in weight training!
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options

upright row
    1 arm raised squats
    lunges
    shoulder press
    pullovers
    weighted crunches
    bicep curls
    woodchops
    turkish get ups

Excellent advice!
  • Clare_Notts
    Clare_Notts Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.building-muscle101.com/weight-lifting-at-home.html

I'm about to start this - you need a bar and some weights though rather than just a dumbell....
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    http://www.building-muscle101.com/weight-lifting-at-home.html

I'm about to start this - you need a bar and some weights though rather than just a dumbell....

i would if i had the room space! but it sounds yummy! ( in fitness terms ofcourse :D)