Need help with increasing calorie intake

Options
I am really having a hard time eating up to 1,200 calories a day. I have been finding myself not that hungry most days and I have been consumed with extreme school work so eating is the last thing on my mind. Any suggesstions on increasing calorie intake in a healthy way?

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    30g of brazil nuts contain about 200 calories... I hate them but I've been forcing myself to eat them to reach my calorie goals.
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    did you consider that you not being hungry is a result of starvation mode? maybe it's not but it is possible. I was like that when I was doing 1200. Now I do 1400. It's going ok so far, and I do feel hungry sometimes but I feel like its working.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you just don't have the appetite, then I suggest you go for raisins 130 calories per 1/4th cup and almonds 170 calories per 1 oz or like 24-25 pieces (calories may vary by brand).
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    yogurt, peanut butter, eggs (not just the whites), tuna fish, chicken, unsalted unroasted nuts, protein powder, avocados, olive oil

:)

I'm having a similar problem, except i'm trying to up my calories to 1700 for weight lifting and I'm used to eating 1300 so I'm trying to eat more as well.

Good luck!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not public so impossible to make suggestions. Have no idea what you are already eating.
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothies! Today, I had Silk Unsweetened Original Almond Milk, 1 cup of strawberries, 1 banana and 1/2 cup of blackberries. I mixed it together in my blender and voila! It came out to be 220ish calories of pure nutrition! Yummy snack! Throw some kale in there to, if you want! I do sometimes. (:
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Smoothies and protein shakes are great. I like to eat slices of cheese when I need to up my calories too, 'cuz I'm not a fan of nuts.

You could also try making all of your meals a little bigger rather than trying to make up calories at night, if that's what you're doing now.
  • LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    Options
    I always find these posts interesting. We were all easily eating over 1200 cals before, or there is no way we can have got overweight. It is so amazing to see how fewer calories healthy foods have and how much you can actually eat of them and still not reach the calorie goal. Its an eye opener!!!

Forgot to add protein shakes!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling you could do it if you tried. Protein shake plus oatmeal = about 300 calories and tastes pretty damn good
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Have some easy to eat snacks around like trail mix, protein bars, and cut fruit during the day. Peanut butter is laden with calories and tasty too.
  • losing2gain4me
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! I will try to include some of those things to help with my increase.
  • myricariddick
    myricariddick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I used to only eat 2 -3 big meals a day my body was in starvation mode and not breaking things down! I gradually got to eating 5-6 small meals a day and now i am soooo hungry if i don't eat every 3 hrs i am awake. It's a gradual process but...it works! especially if u are exercising daily.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Peanut butter is way high in calories. 190 per two tablespoons typically. plus, high in protein and mono/polyunsaturated fats.
  • dieseldiamond1
    dieseldiamond1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to make a smoothie with bananas, peaches, a splash of non fat milk, frozen non fat vanilla yogurt and whey protein. The whey helps give you energy and keep you full and I think it had pretty good calorie content if I remember right. You could use whatever fruits you like, but I do remember it needed fruit...plain whey = not so yummy :smile: