I’m so confused!!

Options
I’ve been trying to figure out how many calories I should be taking in per day in order to lose weight. I’ve read so many different things and calculated so many different thing to the point of totally confusing myself. And now I’m frustrated. Does anyone have any easy way/explanation on the best way to determine how many calories you should be taking in daily in order to lose weight? I know MFP does a calculation for you on here but from what I read it sounds like a lot of people don’t just go based on that. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you!!!

Replies

• Seppron
    Seppron Posts: 11
    Options
    Do this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

then post the result
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Use the site as it is set up. Don't over-think this. Re-evaluate in a month. In the meantime, educated yourself. There are lots of conflicting ways to figure your calories. This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't be too aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

From the MFP BMR calculator page:
    "Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation."

These are the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations (weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years):

Male: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age + 5
    Female: BMR = 10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age - 161

YOU are responsible for choosing an accurate activity rate. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have ANY type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

The reason this site, Myfitnesspal, uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations is because this site allows you more flexibility in your added exercise. In reality, some people will not get much if any real exercise, and MFPal gives you the option to add this in as needed.

That is why the Mifflin-St. Joer equation is a better tool than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you really want to simplify things start like this:

1) Weight in lbs x 12-16 calories. (Do x12 if you're really sedentary, do x16 if you're super active and on your feet all day long, otherwise do one of the numbers inbetween.
    2) Now knock 20% off that number... and aim to eat that each day.
    3) Try for 4 weeks and weigh in, if no loss, drop the cals by a couple hundred more and try for another 4 weeks.

It's important to not get too tied up in the numbers, they're all guesstimates and, even more importantly, they will continually change as your body changes. Better to just ballpark it and then adjust accordingly every month or so as you see what is happening with your weight loss. I say a month because a week is simply not enough time to gauge the effect.
  • Tvandevoir27
    Options
    Do this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

then post the result

This said my BMR is 1,556
  • Tvandevoir27
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses.