Wanna help.. but.......

Options
So I've lost a decent amount of weight and very much love my new lifestyle. My very very very obese father in law told my husband he would like to talk to me about seriously losing weight. Nothing would make me happier than helping him. However, I've been down this road with him, along with some others. It always ends with nothing but frustration and resentment. It's the endless excuses that drive me insane.. I can't do this because XYZ. Or giving lip service that they are going to do ABC and then they blow it off like it's no big deal. Is there anyway to positively inspire people or is just futile until they hit rock bottom?

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I can understand the feeling. No matter how much someone wants to help, it is ultimately up to the person to change their life. I recommend getting him to do two things before you agree to "help" him - first tell him to see a doctor. Since he has a lot of weight to lose, seeing a doctor can help set him in the right direction. It can also identify any health issues he may not know about. Second - tell him about MFP and that he needs to sign up. The reason I say to do this before hand is because it may help you avoid the resentment and frustration early on. If he uses excuses as to why he can't do those two items, then it is a waste of time for you to help him. The other reason is that he can turn to other people to help him with his weight loss and not put all the pressure on you if he does do those two items.

Good luck!!