Lifting and Getting weaker?

Options
I have been lifting for 1 month now and still can not even lift the 45lb bar. I feel that I am going backwards instead of forward! Last week I could bench 35lbs and this week could only do 30 and struggled with it. I have only been able to maintain 30lbs on the shoulder presses, and 40lbs on rows and deadlifts. I am noticing a difference in my body which is great but just wondering if this is normal or if anyone else started like this because I have only seen women that start with the bar.

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    hmmmm... maybe you are not getting enough protein to help rebuild the muscle you break down?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What is your routine? How often do you do it and other exercise? How much protein do you consume?
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    protein, protein, protein, eat lots. I got weaker at the start, upped protein by alot.........problem solved.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem.
    Wasn't eating enough.
    I've added considerable weight on the bar since adding calories back.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I am almost always over 100g of protein. I eat when I am hungry which is usually 14-1600 calories net. I have my macros set as 40/40/20 (protein/carbs/fat).
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    how often are you doing weights? maybe leave a day or 2 inbetween if you aren't so your muscles can repair.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I do weights 3 days a week, not consecutively, besides two days last week. I do not exercise in between weight lifting.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    1. More protien.
    2. Plenty of water.
    3. Plenty of sleep!
    (4. Less cardio?)

I find on days that I haven't had a good night of rest I lift a lot less. If I've had a particularly rough day (stressful or emotional) I lift less. If I'm dehydrated, I lift less. Sounds like you are giving yourself plenty of time to heal, just try increasing your protein some. Good luck!

Edit - Oh, and some days, I'm just not as strong as others. Particularly around TOM.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Judging by your profile, you probably ARE Getting an OK amount of protein. It may just be calories in general you are low on.

Why don't you add 250 calories per day for a couple weeks? Just add a peanut butter sandwich or something like that and see how it goes.

I rebelled against adding calories for months, and putting them in was like fricking magic for my weight lifting.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's possible you just had a bad day, wasn't motivated, distracted, illness etc.

However, if you genuinely are getting weaker, it's a sign of overtraining.

You may be doing too much, or lacking in either nutrition, sleep, rest or a combination of all of these.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Thanks all! I am not getting much sleep when I go to the gym since I go early so I am thinking that might be the issue! I just changed my goal from 1300 to 1500 yesterday so I will see if it makes a difference in the coming weeks.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I do weights 3 days a week, not consecutively, besides two days last week. I do not exercise in between weight lifting.

What lifts though. How many setsXreps of each lift? Same lifts every time?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I read your excersize log.

Your lifts are a bit redundant. Simplify.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    My lifts are on my exercise log. My workouts end up being 45 minutes. What I should be doing to simplify them? I usually do three sets of 10. I go three times a week, 1 day I do shoulders/chest. Next triceps/biceps and then legs/back.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    One, as many have stated check your diet. 40%/40%/20% is actually a pretty good breakdown, should give you almost 1.20x your bodyweight in protein. Get some sleep too. :)

You may want to separate chest and shoulder day or make two upper body days with one using the Bench Press and one using the Shoulder Press and then throw in assistance work. One workout might look like
    - Barbell Bench Press
    - Dumbell Incline Press
    - Dumbell Rows or Chin-ups
    - Tricep Exercise
    - Bicep Exercise

Many different ways to approach your training. Make sure whatever exercises you're choosing have a purpose. For the bench press, definitely make sure you're getting some Tricep work in. Also, check your form on the bench press, bad form = bad results.

Lastly, we all have ****ty days and sometimes it's as simple as that.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think there is something on this forums called strength training for women..or something. People seem to think highly of it.

If you are beginning lifting you don't really need to do isolation exercises. Looking at your log you are doing too much for a beginning lifter.

Stick with compounds. I'm guessing Strong Lifts is just as good for women as men.

I know personally when I wasn't making gains, and or floundering at the same weight it was from lack of rest.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Thank you all I will try to cut down on the lifts for each workout and separate the bench and shoulder press:)