Is this correct? If anyone could answer?

Options
Hi all

Well I have recently started MFP

I have decided to loose 2lbs a week so my calorie for a day is 1220. Have been going this for about a week but I feel bloated.

I now did the BMR calculator and it said 1621 a day? With a BMR of 24

Just wanted to know if this is right? should I actually be eating more to loose some weight?

My only aim is to loose some stomach fat so I can start on building some pacs but it seems a lot harder than I origionally thought.

Might try p90x but not too sure.

Very confused. :explode:

Thanks

Replies

• trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Oh please eat more your body will thank you for it!!

We all want to lose 2+ pounds per week but realistically that won't happen when you're within like 20ish pounds of your goal weight. Your bmr is THE LEAST amount of calories you should net per day. Check out my blog I just started this out (I used to eat too little too) and I have great links that helped me a lot:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Mossonga/view/i-m-going-to-try-eating-more-to-weigh-less-227274

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Feeling bloated? Drink more water! When you change to healthier eating habits, people tend to increase fiber intake. When you increase fiber intake without increasing water intake, it can cause a lot of bloating! A lot of people think I'm nuts, but more water really does solve a lot of issues!
  • carlamillero5
    carlamillero5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and a female. I get 1200 cals a day. This is too low for a man. If you don't get at least 1500 cal you will put your body in starvation mode. This means your body will actually hold on to cals especially in abdominal area. With your BMI you NEED 1600 to keep you out of this pit fall.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have decided to loose 2lbs a week so my calorie for a day is 1220. Have been going this for about a week but I feel bloated.

I now did the BMR calculator and it said 1621 a day? With a BMR of 24

Just wanted to know if this is right? should I actually be eating more to loose some weight?

My only aim is to loose some stomach fat so I can start on building some pacs but it seems a lot harder than I origionally thought.

Might try p90x but not too sure.

If you are hoping to keep your muscle, and keep a high metabolism, yes, NET at your BMR or slightly above.
    So whatever you burn away in calories during exercise, that will take from what you eat first, leaving less for BMR, and you'll be in same boat of underfeeding.

All you have to do is select an activity level of Lightly Active, and weight loss goal of 1 lb.
    Should put the daily goal at 1688.
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No reputable authority ever suggest that men diet below 1500 calories. Even 30 years ago when women were universally on 1000 cals a day men were always suggested to have 1500 cals. So given that you are not far from target you should have quite a bit more than 1200, if you carry on with that few calories you will make life very hard for yourself if you want to get good abs as you will lose muscle rather than fat. I agree about more water especially if you have upped your fibre, fibre just acts as a plug in your gut if you don't drink the liquid for it to be able to swell up and move through your guts.
    Good luck
  • Seppron
    Seppron Posts: 11
    Options
    Eat more then you can train more/harder

A man on 1200 calories a day is not healthy at all(even not for a woman, you should probably be 1800+++ and workout 1h 3-4 times a week. you will have no energy at all with so low calories
  • arjun07
    arjun07 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cheers everyone, your advice has helped me a lot.

I think I'll just increase my calories and eat more if this is the only way to loose weight. It just seems backwards since in my head I feel as though I should be eating less.
  • arjun07
    Options
    Oh and I was thinking, why does MFP suggest 1220 if this is wrong? Did I do something wrong for it to be like that?
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It just seems backwards since in my head I feel as though I should be eating less.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one too! Trust me I've never felt more energetic and I'm only on week 2 of eating more :drinker:

Addition: Oh and I think mfp does a terrible job helping people that are close to their goals. They shouldn't let you pick lose 2 lbs/week because there's no way you can do that and be losing fat!! Plus the activity selector leads you to believe if you have a desk job you need to chose the lowest setting without taking into account how often you workout. But on the plus side you can scour the forums and groups (like I did) and learn about how to change your settings.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Oh and I was thinking, why does MFP suggest 1220 if this is wrong? Did I do something wrong for it to be like that?

MFP's calculator is pretty primitive. You calculated maintenance at 2220 and said 'gimme a 1000 cal/day deficit!', so it calculated it for you. 2 lbs/week is way too fast for someone who has the small amount of weight you have to lose -- that's only for people who are quite overweight.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well you will still be eating less than you probably have been before :smile: although at times it may seem like more, especially if you start eating healthier foods.

Also if your focus is not just to lose a bunch of fat, but also sculpt your body it is really important to start eating healthy foods and stay away from junk
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss rate for 1 lb/week. Then try to stay consistently below your calorie target every day. I lost around 10 lbs/month average with this method.

You need to eat.

Also, when you exercise, eat more. I am not saying you have to eat back everything you burn, but it is ok to do so if you choose. It is also fine to exceed your allowance once a week (but again don't go too crazy. 500 calories over is one thing. 1500 calories over is quite another).

Cheers.
  • laurencode
    Options
    I don't know much about what your caloric intake should be. I do want to let you know that P90X is amazing if you are willing to stick to it for the full 90 days.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Cheers everyone, your advice has helped me a lot.

I think I'll just increase my calories and eat more if this is the only way to loose weight. It just seems backwards since in my head I feel as though I should be eating less.

You should be eating less. Less than what you used to eat that maintained your current weight.

Since you don't know what that level is, you took a bet with sedentary to estimate that level. Probably way off.

So that and selecting 2lb loss caused too great a deficit, unwise level.

Not impossible, but who wants to lose weight slower than needed!
  • arjun07
    Options
    I went away for a few mins and I got some very good advice :). Thanks again guys :smile:

I think i will just need to give it ago and see how I get on.

I'm just worried, me being vegetarian, I'm gna eat all the unhealthy foods. I don't really like vegetables much. I no that might sound stupid but my options are so limited. Im trying to cut down on bread but tbh I don't eat much. I go 5 -6 hrs a day without eating beacuse of work and the fact my hungry dies down after a bit. I have always been like this really. Looks like I have been starving my body and been drinnking stupid amounts at uni. Not been helping. But I need to change.

Oh and regarding p90x I may start it in a few days once I can get my diet right. Thanks for ur input also :)