Calling all hoopers!!!!

Options
...am I the only hula hoop nut on here? I can't be, but it feels like it sometimes. :p This is an AMAZING way to shed fat, build muscle, get toned, and dance/have fun! You look forward to your workouts because they feel more like play.

If you're part of the tribe, holla at me! :)

Replies

• hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    im not but i want to be...do find it good? think ill get one!
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    OMG... I have three hula hoops.... and a couple of hoop dancing exercise dvd's.... LOL..... I made one of my hoops. I love hula hooping!!! think I'll get mine out tonight and play awhile.
  • anorton45
    Options
    hazev... make sure it's not a child's hula hoop. :)
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ok so where would i get an exercise one...im on the hunt!!!!:happy:
  • mommyfauc
    mommyfauc Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I heard about this...is it just a regular hula hoop or a special weighted one? If it is that good for you, I would love to try it!
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine is making me a proper hula hoop. She runs classes here too in my tiny mining town.
  • evolutionaerie
    evolutionaerie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It IS that good, trust me. :) I lost over 60 lbs using a weighted hula hoop, and am doing the same this time around.
    There are a few ways to acquire them - some fitness stores do sell them! Or, you can make your own out of irrigation tubing fairly easily, here are a few tutorials:

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-a-hula-hoop
    http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html
    http://karentiede.com/hooping/making-hoops/

If DIY doesn't appeal, check out Etsy! http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=hula+hoop&view_type=gallery
    There are tons of colors, styles, sizes, and even pairs for poi-style hooping, not to mention LED hoops and fire hoops if you're more advanced and wanna get crazy. They come in quite a wide range of prices.

I own one from bodyhoops.com, it's a bit heavier but I love it. There's also pixiehoops.com and customhoop.com
  • anorton45
    Options
    ok... this is something I know about, did a TON of research, hired a teacher for a class here where I work... it is AWESOME!!!

kids hoops are too light, and too small. I ordered one of mine online for like $35.... it's weighted and I love it. My other one is non weighted and sooooo hard to use..... my third one I made from pvc pipe and colored electrical tape, and you could do a google on places to go to learn to make one. Here in Dayton Ohio it's almost impossible to find one.... and you can google weighted hula hoops and find a ton of sites that sell them ... hold on I'll get some links.
  • anorton45
    Options
    oh good idea... Etsy.... I didn't even think about Etsy... but hold on I'll find some more sites.
  • anorton45
    Options
    now I can't wait to go home and hula hoop!!!!
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    I hoop on days I can't fit a heavy workout into my schedule and sometimes just for fun. I like that I can do it in between other things-- like sometimes I'll do it for a few minutes in between needing to stir dinner and things. I made all three of mine so they're different sizes and weights for whatever I'm trying to do.
  • anorton45
    Options
  • tbright62
    Options
    I just got a fitness hoop, and I'm definitely not a natural! I spend most of my time picking it up off the floor. A girl here at work, who is in a hoop dance troupe, made mine, and she gave a demo to our Weight Watchers meeting. Still I'm not making much progress at getting better. I've looked at YouTube videos, and they all make it look so easy. I'll keep trying, but it is frustrating to not be able to keep it going.
  • anorton45
    Options
    dont give up... I can do halo and get the thing off my waist and up over my head, I'm not at all graceful doing it in reverse and getting it back on my waist... and forget about doing it on my hips... still working on that ... LOL
  • evolutionaerie
    evolutionaerie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @tbright62 I could not hula hoop to save my life as a child! :P When I started at 21 I had to learn from scratch, but the more I did it the better I got, and it became addicting. Keep at it! Once you work up to keeping it going for minutes at a time, it will make you feel so good. :)
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump for later! ^_^
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a circus arts nut, and hae done a bit of hooping as part of that. I have a hoop..... but I'm not very good at keeping it at waist level. I think I kick out one hip a bit.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I love hooping...even started making weighted hoops and selling them. Even Wal-mart carries a weighted hoop in the fitness department now for $20.