Is it ok to eat after Dinner?

Options
2»

Replies

• laurencode
    Options
    I've heard the suggestion not to eat late at night, but I was never clear on the reasoning behind it. The only reason I personally don't eat late at night is because of acid reflux. So if it doesn't cause you any discomfort I would think eating after dinner would be fine. However, most of the articles I've read online suggest eating every 4 hours (and not inbetween) to allow ample time for digestion.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always have something to eat after dinner.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have an evening snack, which is usually dessert every night! Hasn't hindered me yet.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever. I have never had a problem.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't eat anything after dinner....
    but I suffer from acid reflux so it's safer for me not to

Same here. If I eat much of anything after 8pm, I'm awakened by the acid reflux around 3am. Avoiding late large meals has helped a lot.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. By that logic, if I decided to eat dinner at breakfast, I'd never eat after that. And that's just blasphemous. Eat what you want when you want, as long as it fits within your planned nutrient and calorie intake, depending on your goal.
  • busterduke
    Options
    While the magic formula might be "total calories in < total calories burned" for weight loss, I would have to disagree somewhat that meal timing doesn't matter. Spreading your calories out evenly over the whole day is going to boost your metabolism. This in turn burns more fat. Spreading your intake out to 6 smaller meals a day or 3 meals with adequate snacks in between is much better than just eating all of your calories at one time.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. By that logic, if I decided to eat dinner at breakfast, I'd never eat after that. And that's just blasphemous. Eat what you want when you want, as long as it fits within your planned nutrient and calorie intake, depending on your goal.

So I can have pizza for breakfast, and eat again later that day? Can I have waffles for dinner?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    As long as you're within your calorie limit for the day, it should be fine.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It would be hard for most people to lose weight on a diet of pizza and waffles. But i agree with the other poster, people should eat when they want, so long as they stay within their calorie range.

I've even read an article that said that starting with dessert helps some people. I've read more than one article saying that people do not need to eat six times a day, although if that works for you, fine.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    This is also not true. You can have one gigantic meal each day and that would be OK.

But that's no fun! LOL