Why don't I love strength training?

Options
I am fortunate that many years ago I learned to enjoy running. I truly love it. It's an escape, a meditaion, a simple form of recreation that brings me pleasure.

But I have just never taken to lifting weights. It's not that I haven't tried. When I've managed to put together even a few months of consistent effort, I've enjoyed a lot of success with it. I once read that weight-lifting will change your body shape faster than any activity except binge eating, and that's more or less my own experience.

So what am I missing? Why have I thus far failed to cultivate strength training as a habit? I keep thinking there is some perspective I'm missing, some simple thought that will help the light bulb come on.

Replies

• wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When you find out would you please let me know too? :ohwell:
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    train with someone, find someone that can lift a similair program to you and go with them, if your naturally competitive this should get you hooked
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Is the issue that you don't like being sore? Or do you just not enjoy it and pain is no factor at all?

I love weight lifting now, but I had to push myself at the beginning because I was so sore all the time.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    For me, the love of it comes from seeing myself progress - lifting a little bit more each time keeps me driven. I'm a naturally competitive person and will compete with myself as it were, if there's nobody else.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in 2 wks, my daughter has hounded me to lift, then lift more. I prefer to mindlessly cardio but I do see that I need to strengthen my bones. A great playlist makes it much better and I have begun to see results. 20 mins cardio, 30-40 mins weights, 20 mins cardio. That's how I do it and I'm starting to enjoy it.

Keep it up!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Because doing it right is hard work! I'm the opposite of you. I can't for the love of buddah get into running. It's hard andI get tired. I'd much rather lift weights than jog/run. but I do understand the value of cardio so I try to do some jogging/jumprope etc..