HRM

Options
are you supposed to run the body strap and watch under water to activate?

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    no.... why would you think that?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    no.... why would you think that?

You are partially correct.

The chest strap you do need to wet with water before wearing so it picks up your heart rate right away and keeps a good signal.

The watch does not need to be wet though in order to use it.. just put it on your wrist and press start.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You have the make sure the sensors on the chest strap are wet when you put it on. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    No, you need to wet the sensors on the chest strap, either with water, saliva (it works!) or you can buy some special gel for it. Once you start working out, the sheen of sweat is all you need, but when you first put it on, the contacts need to be wet to have good contact/sensing on your skin & track your heart rate. The watch doesn't need to be wet. :)

What kind of HRM do you have?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    eh. I use one and have never had to.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've never wet mine, but it might take a minute to start registering the heart rate.

Can you wear it during aquafit? Or is that too much water for it?
  • iamlottiebee
    iamlottiebee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with my HRM picking up signal when I first got it, and it took some trial and error to figure it out. I need to use a gel to get mine to pick up my heart rate, and it tends to drop the signal if I'm under 100BPM at all. Also, mine won't work if I'm wearing an underwired bra...

It sounds like a dud HRM, but I made my boyfriend try it out to see if it was just me, and it actually IS just ME! It hardly needs any water on the sensors at all for him, and picks up a bounding heart rate right down at 70 odd BMP and never drops signal.

Don't know whats wrong with my weak little girls heart rate, but when I'm at the gym it's not a problem anyway, because I'm well above 100BPM, and sweaty, so it seems to work fine :)
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I have a MIO and i love it, but when I did zumba it barely picked up any activity. It said i burned 53 calories in 45 mins, i knew that could be right.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    OP about your low read for Zumba, I have noticed mine only records if it left on HRM mode, if I switch back & forth the time it stops recording for some reason.

Russ