Excess Skin

Options
Kimakazie
Kimakazie Posts: 11 Member
Hey! I was just curious if any of you that have lost an extensive amount of weight found that you ended up with a lot of excess skin? Does that only happen if you drop the weight really really fast or will it happen regardless? I'm hoping to lose about 120 pounds and was always curious about this.

I figure I'd put this in the success story line because I thought that those who have a success story to share would be ones who could comment on this!

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I'm on the extreme end and have lost the weight slowly (33 months down 303 lbs.) and will be in need of a 360 Body Lift (my surgeon is guessing around 25 lbs. in skin removal) so in the end there is alot of factors between Age, amount of weight you have to lose, how fast you take it off, what exercise regimen you do between now and then, etc, etc..... Good Luck to you,,,,,,,,,,,
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i had wls in 06 lost 130lbs and have some loose skin on my arms and lower tummy, not to bad though. people dont even know i had wls. a friend of mine recently lost 120lbs in 1yr and has arm skin but no where else...she looks fabulous!
  • Autumn23242
    Autumn23242 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome question! I have been wondering the same thing. Terrified of surgery but hate to think of working so hard to lose weight and still not being comfortable in a bathing suit! I also have about 125 lbs that i would love to lose. Would be thrilled to just make it past the 100lb mark!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    There's always that possiblity. Some ppl have lost over 100lbs and don't have any loose skin. It all depends on where you carry your weight.... Look @ my current pic it's of my stomach... I've kept 85lbs off for over 3 years.... I have been working all that time on tryin to tighten it up and get a flat stomach. I think it's achievable! You have to eat right, lose slowly and remain dedicated and determined! NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!! You can do this!!!
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    The slower you lose the better, however from my experience usually anyone over 80lbs to lose will have some loose skin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would think a number of factors come into this: number of pregnancies, stretching during pregnancy, amount overweight, number of years overweight, amount of damage and stretch marks to the skin would all affect the elasticity of the skin and the 'bounce back' factor.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin on my upper arms, where the thighs meet the torso and my lower stomach. It took me around 3 years to lose 121 lbs. Honestly, it sucks but I'd much rather have the sag than the weight back.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I lost about 90 to 100 lbs twice....mainly b/c of my pregnancies, but have kept the last 110 lbs off for 4 yrs.....3 yrs ago, I did have a tummy tuck and my boobs fixed....they took 6 inches of skin off my tummy and 2 inches off my boobs (sorry TMI guys!).....I also had small implants. Even though I had always been endowed, they were basically deflated b/c of nursing and weight loss. I still have a lot of extra skin on my legs and behind and could have a thigh lift, but I don't think I want to go there. I have finally gotten to a certain level of fitness and do not want to take time out for recovery (about 8 weeks) or can afford the surgery this time. I am very glad to have had my other surgeries. The doctor thought they would have to do some lypo in my tummy, but said there was nothing to lypo! It was only skin they had to remove!! There is no regret and so worth it! And it keeps me motivated to keep my weight off! Good luck!!
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I lost around 100lbs in '05-'06 I did find that there were some areas of excess skin that did not change with exercise, but it was the areas where I had had really bad stretch marks and thus there was literally just no elasticity left to the skin.

My tum and boobs did have some stretch marks but not enough to stop them from firming up as I lost weight, but my upper thighs and upper arms had really bad stretch marks, like literally only milimetres in between them all, and so basically just remained oversized when I lost the weight.
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If you have enough excess skin, the procedure to have it removed can be covered by insurance.
  • Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hace been enlightened as well
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I, much like another poster, have loose skin on my arms, my stomach, and where my thighs meet my torso. really not much anywhere else. 80 pounds of my 117 pound weight loss have been in the last year and a half. I'm hoping to tighten up, and i think it's achievable. i think it all depends on how fast you lose it and your elasticity in your skin.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Adding weights to your workout or switching to heavy lifting will help, along with a slow and steady loss. This gives your body time to do it's thing. Also, eat protein and feed the muscle. You won't bulk up, you'll be a lean fat burning machine. This will cause your body to burn fat 24/7. So this will help you from gaining the weight back. Good luck!!!
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I weighed over 280lbs at one time, and I have three children. I can tell you that I already have excess skin, on my stomach, arms and thighs, and I don't think it will go back. When I was pregnant I got a TON of stretch marks on my stomach and its never been the same, lol. But my doctor did tell me if I lose the weight and keep it off for a year it the excess skin removal 'might' be covered by insurance. So here's to keeping my fingers crossed that it either bounces back or is covered by insurance, lol.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump 4 later.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have excess skin that you can pull almost all over my body.. it can be pulled but it goes right back after you let it go.. it depends on your age honestly and how much you have to lose...I didnt notice excess skin untill I lost about 65lbs:smile:
  • Happinessgrl
    Happinessgrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I reckon I can chime in on this one a little bit. I can only speak from my own personal experience though. I have lost over 100 lbs in a little under 18 months. I do have some "skin" on my arms (I just tuck it in and keep going lol) and my body isn't as tight as someone that has never had weight issues. However, this is my body and I worked SOOOO damn hard to get to where it is. I am going to rock what I got and own this new body (skin, stretch marks, and all). Coming from someone that has been over 300 lbs all my life, I must admit that this body can keep me entertained for hours. When I am bored I like to feel the defined muscles that I have never had before and if I am REALLY bored, I like to play with the bit of extra skin that I have. Under Armour pulls the body tight while I workout and you better believe that I will be strutting my stuff at the pool and the beach. If someone else has issues with "looking" at my "skin" then they can look somewhere else, who cares. Trust me, there are a lot more that tend to look my way in a flattering way and they are not bothered by it in the least. I consider those my battle scars because getting to where I am, was certainly a fight... and I fight that I am winning every single day. Everyone has something about their body that they are insecure about I guess. Some people have feet that look like witches and some people have ashes elbows. Me, I have sexy feet, smooth elbows, and a little extra skin. What is the old saying "You have to feel comfortable in your own skin"... well, I got a little more skin to play with so I reckon that means I am nice and cozy. lol

My only advice to you is that it is a possibility but do not to let that stop you. That is really a decision that you should think about in the end and not really in the beginning. Best of Luck to you!! You are going to feel amazing when you hit your goal!!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ususally over 70 lbs to lose is realistic to anticipate some form of loose skin. Your skin and age have alot to do with it. I have never heard of losing it slowly to help. I actually lol at that trainer's remark. If you can tuck your hand under your belly fold standing up, it is not going to magically disappear because you lose weight... That is skin you grew to cover your fat cells. It will shrink and look nicer but it does not disappear. If you have great elasticity the odds of niceness are in your favor. If you can tent or create crepe like skin squishing it together it might look like excess skin hanging.

There is nothing wrong with eating all the healthy skin foods to get the odds in your favor and no soda! Soda is bad skin medicine.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!