Carbs addict help

Options
Hi everyone ,

im currently 178 Ibs i would like to get back to 135ibs ,ok my hardest and biggest problem is carbs,for a longtime now i eaten them my husband and he family african and the food i got used to eating and love to eat is all heavy rice,pasta,bread and potato

i tried to cut carbs and the weight lost from my face quick but as soon as i eat them again it like i ballon up,does this mean i have a allergy,also i feel very week without them but i feel the only way ill loose weight is by avoiding carbs ,ive switched from white carbs to brown and sweet potato insted of white ?is this ok or will it still bloat me can i loose weight and eat carbs?if so how often can i eat them for e.g is it best to have rice or pasta as a treat once a week n maybve just wholegrain bread in morniing?

please help?
thanks

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, the main foods that make me bloat are those with wheat in, such as bread and pasta so I avoid those.
    I have no problem with brown, long grain rice or with baked potatoes and those don't put weight on me as part of a balanced diet.
    I try and avoid unhealthy carbs like cake, biscuits etc, but do have some chocolate sometimes.

Sweet potatoes are a good start, but I don't see any reason to limit rice if it is brown rice. I find bread the greater culprit for weight gain personally.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are carbs. Your body needs carbs. But yes, you will probably see results if you cut out the unhealthy kind of carbs.
  • MOTH477
    MOTH477 Posts: 17
    Options
    I just checked my dairy and I allowed to eat 258grams of Carbs. Is that too much? Also, I eat Yoplait light which is high in carbs. So should I cut that out?
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Limit carbs to vegtables and cut out anything wheat, corn and oat related. Don't eat anything "light" or "fat-free" as they try to make up for the lack of taste in the products (which happens when you take out fat) by adding a ton of sugar.
  • ekaterinip
    ekaterinip Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had started restricting carbs, extremely low. I started sometime like, August 1, and stopped before, Thanksgiving. Not because of the holiday, but because I had stomach flu like symptoms. Three months of it, continuously, was all that I could take. I wanted to stick it out longer. But after a long while, even my son said, I needed to try another diet. I am thinking about restarting another low carb diet. And maybe not try to be in such a strict phase, especially for so long. As a vegetarian, which I am, you can start with more, but even then that is too low for me. All the past times, I did not stick it out so long. But still got sick, just the same. I don't think that I ever learned to diet the right way. I know for sure, that I am resistant to carbs, like an allergic reaction, I suppose. They say too mu sugar alcohol in candy will give you that effect, but the past times, I never ate any, and still had the same outcome. If anyone has good results eating a certain amount I would love to hear about it. For everyone's intolerance if very different. Mine is surly pretty low. The say to stay in that ketosis state, I might not of said it correctly. Anyway, you need not eat more than 50 total carbs per day, and some people have had to stay at 40 to be able to loose. That is too low for me. I get a very bad outcome when I do, especially when I add the net carbs from foundation vegetables, meaning not the starchy ones. I am willing to try it again, but not so strict next time, more like a customized plan, which they also advise on doing, But as a friend, had said, you sometimes get caught in something that's called dogma dieting! Or dogmatic dieting! I guess, I was always one of those. It sure would be nice to keep this board going! And to each find something that might truly work for us, individually! I would love to loose 40-50lbs. by Summer mid/end of July to beginning of August, for a trip that my husband has his heart, and mind on!
  • Leylaos
    Leylaos Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your answers and yes i wouldnt cut out vegtables as carbs your right tbh i dont think of them as carbs silly me im worried about pasta,rice bread ,so if i change to brown can oi still eat them daily or isit best to say have brown pasta one week as treat then rice the next?like that? n i have weight watchers danish bread is that ok ? does anyone else bloated n face go puffy when eating these foods? i always feel hungrey if i dont eat them as my body used to having far too much so im slowly trying to reduce them .
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am at the point I can no longer digest potatoes, breads, flour, rice, corn, pasta - after being without for nearly a year - I can tell when foods have an additive relating to this group of starches - I now have bleeding kankar sores and have a reaction....

It took me three days to get used to that food elimination - mind you I had no choice but to do cold turkey for my health (Insulin Resistance, Metabolic Disorder and PCOS).. Once I stabilized, I no longer had the carb-addict's headaches.

I do though have to make sure that my breakfast has at least a total of 30g of carbohydrates otherwise I get extremely sick.

Thankfully I eat fresh foods every day so making good food choices is never a problem.
  • Leylaos
    Options
    sorry to hear that i feel really guilty now complaining about bloating when theres people like u suffering n having no choice but to give them up ,sorry

ur right about cold turkey tho best way for many addictions
  • cramernh
    Options
    sorry to hear that i feel really guilty now complaining about bloating when theres people like u suffering n having no choice but to give them up ,sorry

ur right about cold turkey tho best way for many addictions

You have no reason to be sorry.... be THANKFUL you dont get bleeding kankar sores with horrible pouty lips of swelling! LOL!!!!!!

Im this way because of being dedicated to no longer having them.... And, when someone wants to be nice and give me something (or in my mother's case, deliberately use), I can tell there is an ingredient off my eliminated list being used...

What sucks the most is, I perform with two music-performing groups in my area as a Bassoon player. Its plum-difficult to play when your mouth is sore while healing..... lol!!!!!
  • Leylaos
    Options
    it shows how bad they are tho aww bless ya lol some women would love to have that look of swallon lips haha

me when i eat them i look like im 6 month pregnant n my face goes really fat lol :(
  • cramernh
    Options
    it shows how bad they are tho aww bless ya lol some women would love to have that look of swallon lips haha

me when i eat them i look like im 6 month pregnant n my face goes really fat lol :(
    nuh nuh nuh nuh no... no one wants the kind of swollen lips I get. Being a musician, you cant play very well that way! LOL
  • ekaterinip
    Options
    I am also bloated in the face. I have hypothyroidism. I truly believe my problem started from not eating enough. And never being able to diet the right way. You said, the magic word, slowly go down on them. You did not say eliminate them altogether. I am going to try doing, exactly just that, and move more! meaning walking or even some exercising! You have got a great board! I wish we can keep it going for a while! For motivation purposes, for everyone of us! Now how much it depends on the individual. It might even be a trial, and error thing till you find out. Mine is set for total carbs on MFP on 202g per day I believe. Some time ago. I think to avoid too low I am going to leave it like that for now. The computer did that some time ago. If I can bring it more down that will be fine. But not too low. Remember potatoes, corn, and peas are starchy carbs, not that you should not eat them, they are just more starchy ones. For example if you plan on eating 3 starchy carbs per day. Your whole bread is one, half a cup of brown rice, or potatoes would be one serving, and so would half a cup of your corn, or your peas. Now, you might be able to eat more, just a rule of thumb as they say. Say for example you counted points they would tell you the same thing, and if you followed a low carb lifestyle program they call them foundation vegetables, meaning the non starchy ones, And on another program they would say filling food. The milk, fat free, cheese fat free and those king of things. They all have their way of counting things. Here it is great because it has everything set up for you. For example mine is set to loose .8lbs per week. Which would be 38.4 lbs in a year. for me I would want that to be more like 4 months. But the computer at the time was trying to think realistically, and safely-healthy. So for now, I am going to leave it like that. Just need the motivation to do this, and to do it the right way, for the long run, is all!
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i have similar problem to u, i love my carbs and eat alot of bread, ryvita etc....but i also remain in my cal goal,,, i would love to cut down on carbs but i'm stumped as to what to eat.. i know abviously more protein but meal ideas i just don;t have them.. lol any suggestions? Good luck OP.. add me if u like>x
  • cramernh
    Options
    Remember potatoes, corn, and peas are starchy carbs, not that you should not eat them, they are just more starchy ones. For example if you plan on eating 3 starchy carbs per day. Your whole bread is one, half a cup of brown rice, or potatoes would be one serving, and so would half a cup of your corn, or your peas. Now, you might be able to eat more, just a rule of thumb as they say.

Well, the whole "as they say" does not apply to me... and does not apply with everyone. Im pretty confident in my 15+ years working in healthcare, that all of the allergy tests and labs truly showed I had allergies and sensitivities... I dont plan on eating starchy carbs ever again.
  • cramernh
    Options
    i have similar problem to u, i love my carbs and eat alot of bread, ryvita etc....but i also remain in my cal goal,,, i would love to cut down on carbs but i'm stumped as to what to eat.. i know abviously more protein but meal ideas i just don;t have them.. lol any suggestions? Good luck OP.. add me if u like>x

Its actually alot easier than what people think. I dont miss those foods anymore because I got over the 'addiction' my body had for them.

Instead of pasta/rice - I use: shirataki, spaghetti squash, threads of zucchini and/or summer squash
    Instead of bread - I enjoy more Korean-style dishes where they use lettuce as the holder
    Instead of corn (which is a grain, by the way), I simply select another food item that is NOT a grain...

Its too easy
  • tamspat
    tamspat Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • ekaterinip
    Options
    I was just wondering can you have soy noodles? If you can find them, of course. I have a low carb mix. I only made it once. I keep it on the table, like forever, freeze it, then take it out. I guess I do focus on all the family eats. I was wondering if anyone knows how to really avoid stomach flu like symptom's from going extremely low carb. That's really my biggest problem, and drawback, and why I give up. Last time I stuck to it through those three straight really rough months. If someone does not have health issues, what would be a good start with total carbs per day, and how low would they go with it? Now they do suggest 50 total carbs per day to be able to burn, in ketosis. For some that is too low, then they suggest going up by 5 net carbs per week to see where you can loose. I am afraid for me the 202g would be too high, even when my calories are really low, I cannot loose the weight, but I would actually do the opposite and gain weight. I believe I also have an intolerance to wheat, grain, even rice, cor, peas, and stuff like that for my body to loose. Allergic meaning in weight terms. It is nice to learn and educate ourselves. And to see what works, and what does not for each of us. It all depends on the person. I am trying to restart my lower carbohydrate diet, but not to go too low this time. I don't think that I would be able to handle it again, my body, meaning.
  • ekaterinip
    Options
    There are a lot of low carb site, I don't know if I can mention them or not, so I wont. There are those popular low carb site, one in particular. For me it told me me to eat 45-50 net carbs, for 30 was too low, especially as a vegetarian. I am aiming for between there and 75 net carbs. will be a bit more for the total carbs. The net carbs you get when you take the total carbs, and then subtract the fiber from it, and the sugar alcohol, like it diet candy, diet sugar free chocolate candies, ecetra. It is really that simple. I do not always do 12-15 net carbs in vegetables, but they also suggest that. There are a lot of great recipes on this site, plus on a lot more sites. I enjoy my Greek Village salads, that's with the feta cheese, olives, oregano salt, extra virgin olive oil, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers if you wish, onions. No lettuce, and we don't put the vinegar either, thus the meaning Greek village salad. I guess because they made them before the seasons lettuce was out, or right after it ended in the village, and therefore the name, and it is so great, as well! Hope you find many great recipes. Good luck to all! Kathy
  • ekaterinip
    Options
    As I had previously said, if I go like 20-30net carbs I have stomach flu like symptoms,, really bad. If I had no choice, and was ill I would go that low, but for me, my body won't allow it. I know I have a wheat sensitivity or allergy to the sense of the word my body weight won't budge to loose, not even with low calories. I have found out the hard way with too many years of yo-yo dieting. Even 50 total carbs is still too low for me. But I find with 70-120 net carbs I do a lot better. I just have to play it by ear and see. It will be a trial, and error thing. For the 3 starches per day is still too much for me. That was just an example, someone else more active or not might be fine with it. Like I said it is merely an individual thing. I am so glad I totally did not give up with low card, and for good, because I was about to do that. Hopefully we can still support each other, with how ever we can come to the boards. I myself have not been on too many so far. Good luck to all in finding the right carbs for their bodies, and still loose the weight!
  • cramernh
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to really avoid stomach flu like symptom's from going extremely low carb. That's really my biggest problem, and drawback, and why I give up.

Unfortunately the whole process of becoming accustomed to a lower-carb intake you will have some very loose stools to begin with. The body is making an adaptation - and the unpleasantness will ease in time.