Anyone do a Step Class?

Options
I was supposed to go to my first Step Class today, but decided to give blood before going, and was told that I'm not allowed to go to the gym for 24 hours after doing so!!! Oh well, there are other classes!

Anyway, I'm just wondering - In a 45-55 minute step class, how many calories does one burn on average? I know its a hard question to ask, because it depends on so much - I'm just looking for a ball park answer.

TIA!

Replies

• whitneymws
    whitneymws Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Anyway, I'm just wondering - In a 45-55 minute step class, how many calories does one burn on average? I know its a hard question to ask, because it depends on so much - I'm just looking for a ball park answer.

TIA!

I go to a couple of Step classes each week! It burns a lot! I went today and I burned 567 calories in a 55 minute class. I use a 10-12 inch step (1-2 risers). It's tons of fun too!
  • SnowWhite824
    Options

TIA!

I go to a couple of Step classes each week! It burns a lot! I went today and I burned 567 calories in a 55 minute class. I use a 10-12 inch step (1-2 risers). It's tons of fun too!

How do you know exactly how much you burned? Do you have one of those counter things? lol Whats the name of it - I'm thinking about getting one.
  • whitneymws
    Options
    Oh that's just what MFP tells me based on my current weight!! But I do know a girl in my Step class who uses some sort of calorie burner watch and it typically tells her around 500 calories as well. Don't know the product name tho - sorry!
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Oh that's just what MFP tells me based on my current weight!! But I do know a girl in my Step class who uses some sort of calorie burner watch and it typically tells her around 500 calories as well. Don't know the product name tho - sorry!

Well I put in "Step Class" under cardio and nothing came up! How do you input it? I'm also trying to input my kettlebell but nothing comes up.... So frustrating!!
  • whitneymws
    Options

Well I put in "Step Class" under cardio and nothing came up! How do you input it? I'm also trying to input my kettlebell but nothing comes up.... So frustrating!!

So this is how mine goes in! It's long a "favorite" now so I just check it off but I imagine maybe I searched on "step aerobics" or something? Try this? I've tried to put Kettlebells in before and I don't think they have that in the database yet:

"Aerobics, step, with 10-12 inch step"
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    yes if you just punch in 'step' there are a few height options I only use 6-8 inch risers. It is good for the booty
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Ahhhh - Thanks guys! Now I just have to get to the class! lol Stupid me thinking that you can give blood, and then turn around and run to the gym... lol
  • whitneymws
    Options
    Ahhhh - Thanks guys! Now I just have to get to the class! lol Stupid me thinking that you can give blood, and then turn around and run to the gym... lol

np, if you get there let us know how you like it! I think step's a ton of fun!
  • SnowWhite824
    Options

np, if you get there let us know how you like it! I think step's a ton of fun!

Will do! I used to take the kickboxing class there, but had to stop because I broke a bone in my foot, and all that jumping and bouncing around really hurt it. That, and the fact that it was so packed, it was impossible to even move in there! But I'm looking forward to this one - I think theres another class on Friday!
  • jeangirl928
    jeangirl928 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do a step aerobics class twice a week. We actually do the step part for about 25 mins and then do about 25 mins of abs, legs, and butt exercises. After the 25 mins of step aerobics part, my heart rate monitor say I burn around 285 calories, however I know it over estimates. I think it is closer to 175-200 for 25 mins. I am 5'6 and 124 lbs. I also use 3 risers with it so it is a very high step.

Hope this helps!