gained 4 lbs over the weekend!! Is that even possible?!

Options
So I have been eating really clean during the week, (lots of veggies and protein, low carbs) and last weekend, I completely splurged! I ate pasta, mexican food, and chips and salsa. I weighed myself yesterday and i gained 4 lbs!!!!! I have been working hard to lose weight, and I lost 8 lbs, but just seeing that I gained 4 pounds in two days really discourages me!! Is this 4 lbs of water from all that sodium, or is this fat?! Help!

Replies

• ksm_623
    ksm_623 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's all water weight, but some should be. I can reassure you that when I gain weight quickly from my splurges I usually lose it all in two or three days just by getting back in my diet and exercise routine. Good luck!
  • jmonique27
    Options
    is it normal to gain weight so quickly when you splurge?
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight gain from eating a bunch of salty food. It's hard to gain that much fat in such a short period of time. Cut back on the salt and get in some sweaty workouts.
  • colobon
    colobon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always see a jump after an off-plan weekend. I just buckle down and in a couple days it's gone. I really don't trust my scale this week though because it said I gained eight lbs in 3 days! Now that I can't believe!
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is not weight gain. 4 lbs equated to 15000 calories and that is after subtracting your base calories just to exist. I find it hard to believe you ate 18000 calories in a weekend :). Your real weight will come out after a couple of days...
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    This happens to me every weekend! I saw a nutritionist because I was so concerned. Every Monday when I would step on the scale I would be so discouraged because the number would be so high! My nutritionist said it was most likely water retained from eating a lot of high sodium foods. I tend not to diet too strictly on the weekends so whatever my body gets on the weekend tends to stick around.

Think about it this way: a pound is 3500 EXTRA calories from your daily calorie intake. So you'd have to consume 14,000 extra calories over the weekend to gain 4 lbs. So don't worry, and DON'T get discouraged. I know that my workouts after seeing my weight go up are very sluggish because I feel helpless. But don't. Understand that it's just water, and the best way to beat water weight is to drink more water, and sweat it out at the gym! I'd stay away from high sodium foods for a few days and continue exercising. You should be back to your normal weight in a few days (my nutritionist said roughly 3)

Stay positive! :-)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Nope, highly unlikely you gained more than half a Ib at most.
    To give an example, I once wolfed down a couple of loaves of fruit bread in one morning.
    I was 4 Ibs heavier from that when I checked my weight.
    After a day of normal eating and exercise, it was down 3 Ibs.
    Some of it might stick for a while, but certainly not a full 4 Ibs, unless you carry on eating that way, of course.
  • jmonique27
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! There is hope!! lol! I do feel like I ate 14000 calories though lol but that makes me feel a lot better!! :smile: